Radiator cleaning

Associate
Hey all,

Need help. Got myself some 360mm radiators for my build that I was planning to paint white, but I can’t get them past the cleaning stage. They’re about 8 - 9 months old, been sitting dry for about 2 months. I’ve tried using deionised water (about 10 litres so far), tried using vinegar solution (only during the first few flushes), and also tried using coke! (For the phosphoric acid) and 30+ drains since and it is still not coming out clear, small little green bits and sometimes dark flakes of metal. Loosing hope here, should I bin them and get new ones, or will mayhem blitz save them?

Soldato
It can depend on the quality of the radiator. I bought a second hand white nemesis black ice and with it being second hand I used the mayhems blitz kit and had no issues with it once installed. I don't think I'd use anything else now. So I suppose it depends how keen you are to keep the radiator. The blitz kit will last for a while and helps when clearing the system between fluid changes too.

Associate
OP
Build a simple loop with a in line filter in it.
It can depend on the quality of the radiator. I bought a second hand white nemesis black ice and with it being second hand I used the mayhems blitz kit and had no issues with it once installed. I don't think I'd use anything else now. So I suppose it depends how keen you are to keep the radiator. The blitz kit will last for a while and helps when clearing the system between fluid changes too.

Ive bought an inline filter, do you mean connect it outside the loop with the rads and pump and cycle it through to get the bits out? Would it help to use anything inside the loop besides the dionised water?

And Bossman, the rads are EK classic 360mm, used to have mayhem fluid in it that hasnt been washed for 2 months, just left to air out open so i dont know if that had any bad affect on it... and is the kit single use? Quite pricey for what it is to be honest, but Id get it if it works.

Last edited:
Soldato
And Bossman, the rads are EK classic 360mm, used to have EK fluid in it that hasnt been washed for 2 months, just left to air out open so i dont know if that had any bad affect on it... and is the kit single use? Quite pricey for what it is to be honest, but Id get it if it works.
No, it's multiple use. The kit contains 2 fluids; one to deep clean/de-stain the radiator and one to ph balance the radiators/loop before use.

The two bottles seem to make about 3-4 litres of fluid once you mix it with deionised water. You wont need to use it all at once. I've got some left from cleaning 2 radiators on 2 separate occasions so it's worth the money IMO.

Soldato
I used to just stick mine in a bowl and connect to outdoor hosepipe and leaving flushing for 10-15minutes. Then flush a few times with deionised water.

Usually gets rid of anything.

Associate
OP
I used to just stick mine in a bowl and connect to the outdoor hosepipe and leaving flushing for 10-15minutes. Then flush a few times with deionized water.

Usually gets rid of anything.

This is what I tried also, have an outdoor hosepipe connected under the sink and put a fitting onto a radiator, and did a flush. Left it for a good 10 mins and maybe only a few bits came out in the beginning, then just a steady stream of water. Tried rotating the rad multiple times, carefully shake it a bit, still nothing came out. Disconnected everything, did the deionized water flush, gave it a good shake, and loads of bits came out. So it seems the bits stay intact when the rad is under pressure but not when being shaken vigorously.

Man of Honour
I had the same problem with a Thermochill PA 120.3 and tried everything and in the end had to concede, put it back in it's box and back in the cupboard where it still sits now. I went from a strong deionised water/white vinegar solution to two kit's of Mayhems Blitz (which personally I think is a waste of money after my experiences with it) and bits were still coming out. Nothing I did seems to be able to completely shift whatever it is. Mayhems Blitz part 2 is a complete waste of time if you don't have a inline filter in the loop as any dislodged bits are just going to circulate in the loop until they get trapped in the rads again. You really need a filter to catch them. I always have a big inline filter in my loop now, in the return side just before the reservoir which should catch any debris before it get's into the blocks.

Associate
OP
Eheim 1250 pond pump hooked up to the radiator, both items in the bath. Leave for a few hours. Stop from time to time and shake radiator.

I have a 1250 because that's how long I've been water-cooling :)

Thats crazy! :cry: I've already bought an inline filter so I'm going to try the above suggestion by running a short loop. Not gonna order the mayhem kit for now until I lose hope with the loop not doing anything either. Really don't wanna waste these rads as they're about 70 quid new

Associate
1 - White vinegar / water soak
2 - Mains hose pipe blast through (both ways)
3 - Open res flush with deionised water (bit like the bath technique above but I have used a cool box or plastic crate - the good / important bit of this is any cr4p will be in the crate and not go back into the radiator plus you can see it easily so know when it’s clean)

edit. Oh and you can do it with the pump outside of the box if you can prime it. I have used a DDC for this before.

Back
Top Bottom