WORLD WEATHER THREAD

Associate
Was on holiday in orlando during Matthew's arrival, was v interesting and have to say their ability to track weather patterns out does the UK ten times over.

Man of Honour
Was on holiday in orlando during Matthew's arrival, was v interesting and have to say their ability to track weather patterns out does the UK ten times over.

Not sure on that - there are resources for UK weather forecasts that are very detailed, etc. the UK is quite tricky to model/predict though due to the number of potential influences.

Associate
Not sure on that - there are resources for UK weather forecasts that are very detailed, etc. the UK is quite tricky to model/predict though due to the number of potential influences.

Maybe so, but from what I saw they were much more able to accurately predict changes in weather over the course of 24-72 hours, certainly the publically available information was of much greater detail.

Soldato
"Does such a website exist??"

I am going to book a driving day (race track) and I want it to be dry. Obviously no two days are alike, but is there a website that chronicles, or details the exact weather for the same day over previous years? So I can take at least an educated guess as to when the season might be drier.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Hurricane Ida is expected to make landfall on the SE Louisiana coast tomorrow as a Category 4 hurricane. No weakening expected prior to making landfall. Up to 15ft storm surge expected. This will be the strongest one one the area for some time now.

B4QO9eS.jpg

Man of Honour
To give an idea of severity, Katrina was a Cat 3 when it made landfall. Hopefully the infrastructure improvements made since then will protect the major conurbations but the outlying parishes are pretty much ****ed :(

Soldato
I visited New Orleans 20 months after Katrina. Went through the worst hit areas. Houses blew away and landed on roofs. Another house flew on top on another. Plus seeing the crosses with date searched like this this shows the property was empty.
What I do find puzzling is why do most houses on the hurricane paths are made from wood?

Soldato
I visited New Orleans 20 months after Katrina. Went through the worst hit areas. Houses blew away and landed on roofs. Another house flew on top on another. Plus seeing the crosses with date searched like this this shows the property was empty.
What I do find puzzling is why do most houses on the hurricane paths are made from wood?

Its america they build houses out of wood, cheaper than bricks and they've plenty of forests waiting to be cut down

Man of Honour
Brick houses don’t fare much better. The flooding causes the most damage, especially when considering the mould that follows. Both our houses in New Orleans were brick built. The first one had taken 13ft of water in Katrina and gave constant problems.

Man of Honour

Cheaper and easier to replace after probably :s

Brick houses don’t fare much better. The flooding causes the most damage, especially when considering the mould that follows. Both our houses in New Orleans were brick built. The first one had taken 13ft of water in Katrina and gave constant problems.

When we had the flooding on the Somerset levels and surrounding areas back in I think 2014 some people I know the houses around where they live were standing in 5 feet of water for a week plus - had no end of problems since and expensive work to remedy it finally.

Man of Honour
Not looking good on the Ida front - all the signs pointing to significant intensifying as it gets nearer to land.

Man of Honour
Hurricane Ida Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL092021
500 AM CDT Sun Aug 29 2021

...NOAA HURRICANE HUNTERS FIND IDA HAS CONTINUED TO STRENGTHEN...
...EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CATEGORY 4 HURRICANE IDA EXPECTED TO MAKE
LANDFALL IN SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA LATER TODAY...

Reports from a NOAA Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate that maximum
sustained winds have increased to 145 mph (230 km/h).

A NOAA C-MAN station at Southwest Pass, Louisiana, recently reported
a sustained wind of 60 mph (96 km/h) and a gust to 74 mph (118
km/h).

SUMMARY OF 500 AM CDT...1000 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...28.2N 89.3W
ABOUT 80 MI...130 KM SSE OF GRAND ISLE LOUISIANA
ABOUT 65 MI...100 KM S OF THE MOUTH OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...145 MPH...230 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 315 DEGREES AT 15 MPH...24 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...946 MB...27.93 INCHES

Damn...

Man of Honour
Sustained winds of 150mph and gusts of 165mph. There’s a possibility it could strengthen further to Cat 5 before making landfall. Either way this is going to wreck the place.

oFMS9zd.jpg

Back
Top Bottom