TV corner wall mount into masonry

Soldato
This looks great. But is it expensive because it's so heavy duty? It's a lot more expensive than the other ones I see. Worth it?

Just checked and unpaid £79.99

I looked at the cheaper ones but the TV is c20kg from memory and wanted to make sure it was strong enough.

I have it mounted on one wall and then articulated out to sit "angled" across the opening like in your first "sketch"

E: picture here

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/33344059/

E2: Just checked - 31kg :eek:

Last edited:
Permabanned
What I did with mine is to buy a standard wall mount then construct a wooden frame to go in the corner so the wall mount just bolts to the wooden frame. I just used 50x100mm pine to construct the frame which was bolted to the wall using threaded bar and chemical cement. The end result is a really, really solid frame, that leaves the TV apparently just floating in the air in the corner. The TV must be almost three feet from the corner of the room so there is no way any bought in mount would do the job. The TV is just too big. Anyway, it works a treat.

Soldato
UPDATE: here's a picture that better explains it but doesn't have the man .
corner mount stand looks well made (but really have to see one in the flesh) concern I'd have would be how true the wall corner might be,
whether you'd have to use shims.

Id suggest something like this instead (i had in old house for 3 years with a 20kg TV
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Invision®-...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

as op suggested the arm length maybe marginal to guarantee 45 degree tv positionng across corner

eg https://www.nextdaytechs.com/blog/2016/12/how-to-catty-corner-mount-your-tv-for-the-perfect-fit/
In order to determine the arm extension that your full motion tv mount must have, first you have to measure your TV length. The TV length is not the same as the size of the TV because the TV size is measured diagonally and not horizontally. Once you determine the length of your TV then you can find out how long the TV mount arm must be from the following formula:

Minimum TV Mount arm Length(BD)=0.5*(Length of TV/1.41)

It also happens that the middle of the tv mount wall plate must be position at the same distance from the corner of the wall (A) as the length of the arm of the full motion tv mount because the distance of (BD) equals the distance of (AB).

So lets take an example. The size of my TV is 55in but the length (including the bevel) is 51in. What is the min arm length full motion TV mount I should purchase so my TV fits perfectly in catty corner of the room? and where I should place the middle of the wall plate from the corner of the wall?

And the answer is: 0.5*(51/1.41)=18 inches…. The full motion mount in the pic above will do the job.

catty must be an american word ?

Associate
This looks great. But is it expensive because it's so heavy duty? It's a lot more expensive than the other ones I see. Worth it?

That's actually a mid range cost bracket.

I have fitted two different Sanus brackets in the last year (VLF628 and VLF728) where we needed extra extension and they are over double the cost of that more expensive one. They are also more than double the weight (the bracket itself, not its TV capacity which is similar) and are excellent with no flex/movement even when extended fully (71cm extension).

Soldato
Been away but back now - here's some pictures of the TV and bracket in situ

TV in place "floating" over the unit

IMG-20210606-154452.jpg

The bracket as it is in normal situation / extended to allow the TV to sit at the correct viewing angle

IMG-20210606-154500.jpg

IMG-20210606-154507.jpg

Permabanned
I have similar arm (boxed never used) that does the same as above, it weights a ton on its own and can hold a 60" Plasma like above user said.

Associate
OP
Just checked and unpaid £79.99

I looked at the cheaper ones but the TV is c20kg from memory and wanted to make sure it was strong enough.

I have it mounted on one wall and then articulated out to sit "angled" across the opening like in your first "sketch"

E: picture here

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/33344059/

E2: Just checked - 31kg :eek:

Here I was not receiving notifications and thinking everyone was silence bc they were simply in awe of my diagrams!

Associate
OP
What I did with mine is to buy a standard wall mount then construct a wooden frame to go in the corner so the wall mount just bolts to the wooden frame. I just used 50x100mm pine to construct the frame which was bolted to the wall using threaded bar and chemical cement. The end result is a really, really solid frame, that leaves the TV apparently just floating in the air in the corner. The TV must be almost three feet from the corner of the room so there is no way any bought in mount would do the job. The TV is just too big. Anyway, it works a treat.

Yes. I must measure how far it would have to be.
Constructing wooden frame beyond me as you may have suspected from my "diagrams"

Associate
OP
Been away but back now - here's some pictures of the TV and bracket in situ

TV in place "floating" over the unit

IMG-20210606-154452.jpg

The bracket as it is in normal situation / extended to allow the TV to sit at the correct viewing angle

IMG-20210606-154500.jpg

IMG-20210606-154507.jpg

Ok that looks like the ticket. It should reach far enough to allow a 55" to sit in the middle, right?

Is there some Pythagoras I need to use or something to work out how long the arm needs to be / how far from the corner the mount needs to be fastened? Or is it as simple as the closest it can be while still letting the tv go flat if need be. Although yours doesn't look like you could let it go flush against the wall so that wasn't your intention.

Associate
OP
UPDATE I have a mount.
But it's a cantilever heavy duty one.
v6oVzXE.jpg

It's already very heavy (~9kg) and the tv is 17kgs.
Do you think I'll be ok drilling into the mortar or does this need the brick.
I'm really hoping mortar will be ok since I have no hammer drill.

Soldato
Any recommendations for a hammer drill?
IMO for light to medium DIY, the cheaper in store brands are OK if you look after them. Generally I find cheaper power tools last OK if you don't abuse them.

So basically check B&Q, Homebase, Wickes etc for a deal - here's what I'd say are absolutely required:

Lithium ion battery. NiMH or NiCad will die whether you use them or not - Lithium is miles better.

2 batteries. I can't imagine stopping a job to wait 4 hours for a charge.

Hammer drill mode - this is basically what sets a cordless screwdriver apart from a combi drill/driver.

My drill is a Worx thing that was £50 half price from Homebase. Spotted it in 2013 and grabbed while I was skint. Absolutely I'll replace it with better quality when it dies - but it hasn't!

Worth investing in good quality drill bits for brick too, not the ones that come bundled. They're ok but life will be easier with nice ones.

Edit: just had a quick browse on B&Q, this looks like the cheapest with a hammer action and 2 batteries. Do shop around!

https://www.diy.com/departments/ryo...combi-drill-r18pd3-215sk/4892210187468_BQ.prd

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
OP
I got exactly that today on your advice and I have mounted it!

NOW.

I'll be honest I didn't 100% think this through and now I need to get 4 x HDMI and 2 x power behind it without the wires showing.

What's the best way to do this?

shI9dRQ.jpg

I could MAYBE fit a few HDMI cables and power behind the mortar and run it horizontally but what about the rest of the HDMI. and I'd also have to fit trunking in there, right?

Maybe there's an HDMI and power sort of socket box I can use or something?

Back
Top Bottom