Grand c max

Soldato
Yo

Potentially buying a Grand Cmax Titanium tomorrow.

Choice of two.
1 - blue 16 plate 71k miles 9k.
2 - cobalt 18 plate 25k miles 13k.

I'm leaning towards the cobalt... wife wants cheaper one.

She kept her last car for 13 years... and I expect that to happen again. Hence opting for the newer lower mileage one.

Anyone got any experience with this car?

Thanks all.

Soldato
We have had a normal "i.e non grand" c-max for a few months now and got very little to say about it :p

It's absolute fine, completely unexciting but surprisingly spacious for the footprint, versatile, incredibly slow, perfectly decent daily transport for kids, dogs and stuff. Ours is 2014 so older than you're looking at but has been in the family for a while and never given significant issues (as you'd expect given its just a focus).

Between the two you're looking at I'd be tempted to go for the later car for sync 3 alone, though you could always fit to the earlier car for c£600 if you find the bits and can be bothered. View both and decide on condition (and potentially saving 4 grand on purchase)

Soldato
OP
We have had a normal "i.e non grand" c-max for a few months now and got very little to say about it :p

It's absolute fine, completely unexciting but surprisingly spacious for the footprint, versatile, incredibly slow, perfectly decent daily transport for kids, dogs and stuff. Ours is 2014 so older than you're looking at but has been in the family for a while and never given significant issues (as you'd expect given its just a focus).

Between the two you're looking at I'd be tempted to go for the later car for sync 3 alone, though you could always fit to the earlier car for c£600 if you find the bits and can be bothered. View both and decide on condition (and potentially saving 4 grand on purchase)
I believe both have the Sync 3.

It's the mileage that is a sticking point for me.

My wife will doo around 100k miles in 10 years, so the Blue one will end at 170k miles.
The cobalt will end up at 125k.

It's difficult really as we have the extra money so it's no issue. But ofc, saving 4k would be welcome.

Soldato
You can make a good case for either imo with the expected miles at end of use, both will have effectively no value left when done and one will need any belts etc changed sooner than the other but really you need to see them and judge. Plenty of 70k cars look and feel in much better condition than newer, vastly lower mileage cars. Conversely given these things are generally mum wagons and taxis they can have a real hard life

Soldato
OP
You can make a good case for either imo with the expected miles at end of use, both will have effectively no value left when done and one will need any belts etc changed sooner than the other but really you need to see them and judge. Plenty of 70k cars look and feel in much better condition than newer, vastly lower mileage cars. Conversely given these things are generally mum wagons and taxis they can have a real hard life

Well, my wife test drove one in the week. And has told me to check both today and pick the one I thinks best :/

I'm off to test drive the blue on at 10am. Then the cobalt at 1pm.

Will see what's best I suppose.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Had a Grand C-Max (slidey door version)
Mine was the 1.6 Deisel Tit, Peugeot HDI I believe with about 115bhp on an 11plate - wiht the handbrake ont he wrong side for some reason lol.

Really liked the space inside, Cavernous with the rear seats down, not sure how much difference the grand version is mind.
Was reliable in getting us from A>B, Gearbox was an utter PITA to find for it after the original imploded for some reason.

Some of the bushes for MOT's were ridiculously expensive to replace for both the parts and labour :(
Bro's mate is a mechanic and he offered to do them, only for me to pick the car up once done and him tell me he's never going to do this work on a Cmax again hahaha

Soldato
OP
Saw the blue one this morning.

Dents on doors
Deep scratches
Front tyres are MOT advised but refused to change them as they are "legal".
Top engine mount looks blown as there is oil residue ontop and looks like a deflated balloon. They are oil filled on these cars I believe.
Stains on seats.
Oils blacker than black. And they were not able to show me the service history.
No satnav when advertising it as having Nav.

So walked...

Now at other dealer waiting to see the more expensive one.

Soldato
Saw the blue one this morning.

Dents on doors
Deep scratches
Front tyres are MOT advised but refused to change them as they are "legal".
Top engine mount looks blown as there is oil residue ontop and looks like a deflated balloon. They are oil filled on these cars I believe.
Stains on seats.
Oils blacker than black. And they were not able to show me the service history.
No satnav when advertising it as having Nav.

So walked...

Now at other dealer waiting to see the more expensive one.
What a rotter! Fingers crossed for the other one.

Permabanned
we have a 64 c-max .. love it .. used for the dogs .. had 24k on it when bought 3 yrs ago ..great car diesel loads of space .. just spent £700 on it new tires mot and full service .. well worth it .. seeing as any decent upgrade would be £5k+ trade in for a smaller car :(
the grands are even bigger :)

Soldato
OP
What a rotter! Fingers crossed for the other one.
The second one was much better.

Was at Avaliable Car in Castle Donnington, very good car supermarket.

Very minor body paint issues. Worst they will fix for me.
The EML light was on, so they are also fixing the issue.
I opted for the paint protection and more importantly the included scotch rite protection for the interia... any stains that won't budge, they will come to us to remove and if they fail, they replace the fabric... and with kids, this will be used I expect. And for the entire time of our ownership too.

Paint was very clean and sparkly.

Drove very well.

Was very happy with it.

So I bought it... now £13k lighter, but am happy that this car will last us for the next 10 years.

And before anyone says I'm mad to spend that much, I've seen 4 of these cars now, all the cheaper ones were cheaper for a reason. They were abused.

Soldato
OP
£13k seems reasonable given the current market. Low mileage to boot.

EML is a bit worrying? What was the cause?
Not sure. They are going to let me know on Tuesday when the prep guys are back in.

I didn't take my car so I didn't have my code reader on me which sucks.

I'm not worried as I was given a years warranty and any issues I have within 3 months are fixed no questions asked or a refund.

Soldato
you'd want them to tell(email a photo) what the code is, and have that documented ... if say it were dpf/catalyst related what would you do.

(peugot fan was going to say consider 5008)

Soldato
OP
you'd want them to tell(email a photo) what the code is, and have that documented ... if say it were dpf/catalyst related what would you do.

(peugot fan was going to say consider 5008)
We looked at a 5008, but they were more expensive and when we tried to fit the rear facing seat in the space left for a front seat passenger wasn't suitable. Only the cmax seemed to fit the bill for that. (I'm sure other cats might too.)

I'll ask them for proof of what the EML light was on for.

Back
Top Bottom