Cheap To Run Recommendations

Soldato
OP
I think you are too hung up over mpg thing just for few months. You don't know car you are buying..any breakdown/repair will wipe out of the savings you'd hope.

I know what you mean, although it will likely be over a year to year and a half, not just a few months. I could buy now to start the 'savings', but yes, it's risky. Also, at the moment I work 2 miles from home, so mileage is low. If I end up commuting a longer distance, I would probably be keeping the 'new' car.

Soldato
I think you are too hung up over mpg thing just for few months.

Definitely. You're getting way too hung up on MPG figures. It makes literally no sense to pay an extra £1000 for a boggo basic 1.6TDI to save almost nothing in fuel over getting the bigger engined variety. 100bhp in one of these cars gives you such a terrible drive, so much so that I'm not even sure why they made a model with such a low amount of BHP. You have to thrash it to get it anywhere which is going to kill your MPG and make for a pretty tiring driving experience. I'd want the 2.0TDI 170bhp for the blend of very good MPG and a good, lazy driveability.

Although I get why you'd want an estate when you're into your biking - it's just so much easier to cart stuff around. And for me, the 2.0TDI Superb estate is the best of the bunch in this area.

EDIT: Although i've just seen that you've said you "might" be getting made redundant in 6+ months time. Probably best to wait a little longer and see? Things like this can change in a matter of days, why not wait until closer to the time to wait and see whether or not you actually will need a new car? It's not like going and buying a new car takes months on end.

Soldato
OP
i've just seen that you've said you "might" be getting made redundant in 6+ months time.

Well, it would kind of take a miracle for it not to happen...

I'd want the 2.0TDI 170bhp for the blend of very good MPG and a good, lazy driveability.

Yeah, I understand the point. I'm test driving these two today anyway, which will give me kind of a base line to compare things from.

Caporegime
I was in a similar situation myself. I got made redundant last November but took up a new job within the company but was a 70 mile commute in total. Now I have managed to secure a job closer to home which I start end of August which is only a 20 mile commute.

I actually found my commute costs were not that bad. In my Saab I have been averaging 32MPG which is not that bad especially when you factor in the cost of diesel being more. Before I was averaging mid 20's. More importantly I am doing that 35 mile stint in a lot more comfort than some little econobox.

Soldato
If you do go for the VAG estate route I'd avoid the gutless 1.6 TDI. 2.0 140hp is a much more pleasant drive and very close in mpg figures as it's much less stressed. The 70mpg+ official figures for the 1.6 are pretty much nonsense, just like the emissions results!

Soldato
The small diesel engines are so bad from a driving perspective. A gutless engine, but also missing half the rev range and sounds like a transit van :p

Soldato
OP
So the Superb was the longer drive (with the Octavia pretty much splitting the difference on the way home). Sat in the Superb, all seemed nice enough, but then he wouldn't let me drive it. He would have to have someone disinfect it due to Covid and it's raining so it would then need detailing... okay, thanks for wasting my time. The Octavia I quite liked. Not a big issue with the power it had, I'm not looking for power here. I understand it's probably still best to go for a bigger engine though. Not sure I would want to buy from this place though, didn't scream trustworthy to me.

Caporegime
I would even say 140 brake 2.0 is pretty gutless to drive as well. Especially in a Passat sized car!

Its not that bad, had one as a company car for a year or so. Its not sporty of course but its fine.

But agree with the avoid the low powered 1.6tdi all done just to con people.

We had a 140 bhp gold tdi (1.9 i think) at work and the guy got 55mpg on his commutes. We then got a new gold 1.6 bluemotion and he could never get above 50 in real life. It struggled on every hill esp if there were 4 people in the car.

It might be better economy if doing lots of town driving by yourself with nothing on board and you live somewhere flat but thats it.

Soldato
OP
Went to test drive a 2016 2.0l Superb today at a dealer near Dunstable. Was very pleased with it, lots of gadgets (had the tech pack?) and so put a deposit down on it. Had told them I would be arranging an AA inspection, 'Yeah, no problems'.

Get home, pay £182 for the top check and literally just as it's confirmed, they call and tell me they've noticed an issue and have refunded my deposit! I explained I'd already paid for a check, they just advised I call and cancel it. It said it was non-refundable, so don't know how I'll get on with that. When I call, even though it says 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week, they are closed for training. What do you think I can expect/demand from the dealer if I can't get it cancelled?

Soldato
OP
Yep. They have two types, this one came with photos and a report and stuff (one person said to me the AA just check MOT, service history etc, I figured if they have to prove photos of things, I can at least see what they've checked).

And yes, I'm sure to most people it's a waste of money, but I don't know cars, so need someone to check it that does. It's a little like that person that pays PC World £40 to install RAM in their PC. Yes, to most of us that's ridiculous but to that person, if they don't know how to do it, they're probably happy spending £40 and having someone that knows what they're doing, do it for them.

Soldato
OP
Now I know what I want, there are only ones 3+ hours from me. If I got the AA to do this full check, how crazy would it be to buy it unseen, based just on the photos, and have it delivered?

I probably should just be more patient and wait for one near me... there's no real hurry...

Soldato
If it was me, I would drive down there have a look, if I liked it I would buy it and when I picked it up I would get my trusted mechanic to give it a good look over. If there is anything wrong then I would take it back for a full refund. I'm not sure these AA inspections are all that good, and it really needs to be on a ramp to be looked at properly.

Back
Top Bottom