Valve announces the SteamDeck

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Just get Game Pass, both of those games are on it. I won’t be buying any steam games for my Steam Deck.
I like having the games in my steam library. The games you mention I would not buy now as already played on the Switch as mentioned, well I may actually when I see them for a few quid at some point to add to my collection. With game pass games come and go. I like to have it there to play when I fancy.

Tried game pass before, but just not my cup of tea.

I won't be buying any "for" the deck either
I'll just be playing the exact same things on it I bought "for" my desktop
+1

Associate
I've given in and put in my order. I'll decide in December.
I'm assuming it'll link to Origin also? Games like Jedi fallen order etc, and also the rockstar launcher for GTA5??

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I'm assuming it'll link to Origin also? Games like Jedi fallen order etc, and also the rockstar launcher for GTA5??
It’s a PC mate. You can do what you want with it. You will need to install windows then origin. When it arrives it won’t have windows, just steam.

Also if you just ordered, you sure it is coming in December? As in this December? :p

Associate
It’s a PC mate. You can do what you want with it. You will need to install windows then origin. When it arrives it won’t have windows, just steam.

Also if you just ordered, you sure it is coming in December? As in this December? :p

Hah, I meant decide whether I want to continue with the order. Mine would be due q2 2022.
I don't fancy loading windows on it, will if I have to. I just thought they may have some integration with other platforms as it says 'your whole steam library'. Some need other platforms to load first. Guess more details will come later

Associate

Yep, will work. For example, I have the rockstar launcher and play GTA V/online on my Arch Linux distro. I actually get better/higher minimum fps on Linux than I do under Windows 10, although Windows still wins a little on maximum fps. I do have Steam installed and use it as a launcher, but also have Lutris and use that to launch various games with different wine prefixes.
Steam Deck will come loaded with SteamOS 3.0 which is based on Arch Linux. By the time Steam Deck launches, more work will have been done with anti-cheat.

Associate

It will arrive with SteamOS 3.0, Valve's Linux distro based on Arch. Unless people are wanting to use Game Pass, I'll pass on Windows and just keep with Linux. I reckon most people buying the Steam Deck will be using it to play older games in their Steam library and emulators.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It will arrive with SteamOS 3.0, Valve's Linux distro based on Arch. Unless people are wanting to use Game Pass, I'll pass on Windows and just keep with Linux. I reckon most people buying the Steam Deck will be using it to play older games in their Steam library and emulators.
Yep. That's me. But for fun I may install Windows to have a play about at some point. But yeah, defo SteamOS for me. I have no interest in Origin or any other launcher anyways.

Soldato
i think a lot of people will dual boot so you have the best of both worlds
What would be the point in a dual boot setup? Surely if you're going to install Windows, you may as well run everything natively under that, assuming it's going to give the best gaming performance while optimising use of the available storage.

Associate
What would be the point in a dual boot setup? Surely if you're going to install Windows, you may as well run everything natively under that, assuming it's going to give the best gaming performance while optimising use of the available storage.

i assume its because Steam OS will be what most people use on steam deck and will be the smoothest way to play your steam titles which is what i'm purchasing the SD to do but i love tinkering with gadgets so if i can i will.

Obviously valve could complicate the issue if they don't make dual boot an easy option upto now they seem ok with people doing this.

Associate
People will definitely be able to install Windows and/or dual boot if that's what they want. There may be an issue with sleep mode on Windows though? I expect Linux to play really nicely with the Steam Deck's AMD based hardware given AMD's collaborative involvement with Valve. Things are only going to get better in the gaming on Linux space over the coming years. Valve have been a key player over the last 3 or so years and I expect great things over the next 3.

Associate
People will definitely be able to install Windows and/or dual boot if that's what they want. There may be an issue with sleep mode on Windows though? I expect Linux to play really nicely with the Steam Deck's AMD based hardware given AMD's collaborative involvement with Valve. Things are only going to get better in the gaming on Linux space over the coming years. Valve have been a key player over the last 3 or so years and I expect great things over the next 3.
i've read afew articles where Valve are not only going after the PC gamers with the Steam Deck but they also want to elevate linux so its a double prong attack they don't like Windows/MS having so much power when it comes to PC gaming.

I think initially MS will be fine with it but if Steam Deck does seem to be taking away PC gamers from windows then you might see a less cuddlier MS

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
i've read afew articles where Valve are not only going after the PC gamers with the Steam Deck but they also want to elevate linux so its a double prong attack they don't like Windows/MS having so much power when it comes to PC gaming.

I think initially MS will be fine with it but if Steam Deck does seem to be taking away PC gamers from windows then you might see a less cuddlier MS
Well, with the route MS is taking slowly, if Valve manage to get Linux to work with gaming just as good as Windows, I maybe open to making the move. Still a lot to be done yet though.

Associate
Well, with the route MS is taking slowly, if Valve manage to get Linux to work with gaming just as good as Windows, I maybe open to making the move. Still a lot to be done yet though.
for someone like myself who loves tinkering with software i've never actually installed linux on any of my systems i did attempt afew years ago without success. I use my laptop for work along with gaming so it has to be pretty stable and reliable

Back
Top Bottom