Skoda Superb replacement?

Associate
My 65 plate SEL Exec 190 diesel hatch has 81K miles after a (near) year of heavy commuting has added 18K miles. Looking at changing it.

Thinking of a 320d touring with auto box, around 2016 MY. Issues/thoughts? No longer commuting as can walk to work but need a tug for my caravan (MTPLM 1375 Kg). Is ED the one to go for/avoid? Is the auto box a semi-auto? Must have options and spec?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Out of interest, why are you looking to change? It sounds like you have the perfect car for the job. A 2016 BMW 3 Series won't be much nicer inside, will have a firmer ride and is smaller.

Do you want an automatic?

Soldato
was going to say get a newer peugot 508 sw ... are torque convertor automatics(which bm has too) also better for towing ?
without the clutch slip/wear you would get with a dct .
e: and smoother for use

Soldato
I have a 2015 mk2 Superb as well as a caravan.

Im in 2 minds on what to do however if I do change I want to change up to at least a 3l diesel and 4x4 for towing duties.

I feel that the car is a perfect all round car and if you are looking at them specs of BMW I just feel it's a side step if not a downgrade.

Is there any particular reason why you are needing to change? It doesn't seem to be the best time with inflated prices...I'm only considering as I was lucky enough to purchase mine for £8k 4 years ago and they are selling for anywhere between £10k-£12k on autotrader.

Man of Honour
I would absolutely not swap a Skoda Superb for a similarly aged F30 320d. Whilst there are aspects of the 3 Series that are clearly better (gearbox, infotainment, chassis) there are also areas which are very much not.

Soldato
sounds like you have the ideal car for the job already.

unless you just want a new car in which case a 320d is perhaps not the best replacement for a superb which is pretty much a fantastic car at that age/trim. look at another superb of a 5 series budget dependant.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Want a slightly smaller car. Want a firmer ride. Want an auto.

Octavia VRS, the new IV?

Double check the towing malarkey, as I remember on some recent Kodiaq and I think superbs at the time there was a sepcific engine/box combo (mightve been the 1.5 manual) that towing.

As others have said 2nd hand prices are bonkers atm, yes you may end up getting more for yours but you'll end up paying more for the new one.

Soldato
Couple of problems here really

The superb is a "nicer" car than the 3 series, albeit not really on the same page dynamically and in terms of infotainment (though let's face it far from terrible)

Potentially unpopular view but the F10 is starting to look really, really long in the tooth now (earlier than I expected it to tbh) imo - given the amount of money you'd be spending on something of equivalent age or newer than the Superb it's hard to see the appeal in all honesty. A G30 would be better but in the current state of the market they're still sitting at pretty incredible money for the age/performance/mileage too.

I'm with the others, you pretty much have the best car already other than wanting something a bit smaller - Octavia VRS or Golf estate could be worth looking at if you must change

Man of Honour
Potentially unpopular view but the F10 is starting to look really, really long in the tooth now (earlier than I expected it to tbh) imo - given the amount of money you'd be spending on something of equivalent age or newer than the Superb it's hard to see the appeal in all honesty.

Obviously I'm biased but I get back into my F10 - which has just celebrated its 6th birthday - after driving various newer cars and never feel anything less than happy. This is a problem for me as I planned to keep it 5 years and move on, but despite the fact I like every G30 I drive I don't get back into mine and feel it's well worth spending £30k to buy one - it's an evolution, not a revolution.

When you then consider the current Superb has been around for 6 years now - and came out when the F10 was a current car - IMHO there is absolutely no contest. If the Superb in question had just been released as an all-new model I'd have more sympathy with this view but it hasn't. None of the cars in question are fresh and new and no matter how good the Superb is - and its really very good - it isn't as good as a BMW 5 Series. But it probably is as good as a 3 Series, on balance, hence my view above.

But of course given the OP has stated the reason for his change is he wants a smaller car I'm not really sure why we're even discussing the 5 Series. It isn't suitable and if it was I'd probably advocate he just keeps his Superb?

I wonder if potentially the answer here could be the C Class Mercedes.

Soldato
Just done something a little similar myself having sold a 2018 Passat which was boring me to tears for a F31 touring.

Yes it’s a little smaller, but I’ve accepted that and it’s still got a decent boot. Will just have to buy a roof box for family weeks away. It’s nicer to drive which is what I wanted

If you are looking at 2016, then it may be worth looking for a post-July 2016 build as the NBT Evo changed from Idrive 4 to Idrive 5 with a head unit with larger RAM, which can be flashed for CarPlay etc. The earlier cars don’t have it unfortunately and can’t be retrofitted. Although you can buy an MMI box which is what I am planning to do for my 2014 model as I like having CarPlay. LCI cars also came with LED by default which is ok for most people

Must have options - pro nav + full black panel display, folding mirrors

Nice to have (IMO, wouldn’t go for a car with none of these specced but equally wouldn’t need them all to buy one) - Harmon kardon speakers, heated seats, electric seats, enhanced Bluetooth (can be coded), HUD, speed limit display, Adaptive headlights, reversing camera, adaptive suspension

Luxury options - pano roof, merino seats & extended leather dash makes it feel much more upmarket than the standard F30 but very rare

Back
Top Bottom