Garage - electric roller door

Associate
i have a very simple, cheap device that lets my control my garage door from my phone. so if i get a delivery. click on my phone to open it 1ft, package placed inside, click to close.

Do you have a link to this device? I have 2 fobs but being able to open and close from my phone would be useful...

Soldato
Extremely pleased that we went with an electric roller door. Makes everything very simple, it gets used loads and maximises space inside the garage and on the drive. An up and over would have blocked the loft hatch and been a general pain in the backside. Being able to open and close the door whilst in the car/house is great. Less good is that our 3 year old likes the fob buttons…!

We went with anthracite - come at me bro!

Soldato
Paid £950 for the roller on our old house last year then £899 for each on my new house a couple months ago. Old one was from a commercial firm and it felt more solid, new ones are from Garolla and are... fine.

Best purchase in terms of QOL for the money for me. Up and over is such an inefficient use of space in comparison, especially the electric ones I just replaced.

Soldato
OP
Paid £950 for the roller on our old house last year then £899 for each on my new house a couple months ago. Old one was from a commercial firm and it felt more solid, new ones are from Garolla and are... fine.

Best purchase in terms of QOL for the money for me. Up and over is such an inefficient use of space in comparison, especially the electric ones I just replaced.

Were the Garolla ones electric? They advertise in the local community paper all the time, and price is always 895, reduced from 1300 and a 'time limited offer'.

Soldato
The other benefit is not just internal space but external. I know I can back right up to the garages with my car and towbar mounted bike rack and get the door opening due to my driveway being single width and opening to a dounle garage the space was always tight to back enough to then open my car door without hitting my wall. Don't have that issue now and car park properly in front of my garage whilst being able to get around my car.

Soldato
Were the Garolla ones electric? They advertise in the local community paper all the time, and price is always 895, reduced from 1300 and a 'time limited offer'.

Yeah they're electric. They're flimsier than the last one I had installed. I'm not sure I'd recommend them, but maybe for the price they're fine? They're definitely a lot quieter than the last one.

I needed a quick fix after a misunderstanding with a handbrake so just went with who could do it fastest.

Soldato
Only thing i'd say is make sure you really want it to be electric, i've got 2 manual single roller doors in my garage and, so far at least, have never wished they were electric. They take about 3 seconds to put up or down so unless you're planning on driving your car into it every day i wouldn't bother with an electric version.

A friend came round after getting an electric one fitted and commented he wished he'd gone manual and saved a bunch of cash after he saw how quick and easy mine was.

But yeah roller doors are totally worth it over up and over types just so many benefits.

Soldato
Yeah I never understand the need either. Mines insulted, but so what? It's a garage.

I work out in my garage and changing to an insulated sectional door made a massive difference to the temperature in winter. It's actually bearable first thing in the morning when it's freezing out now!

Associate
We had ours fitted about 18 months ago (£1150 fitted) and its the 19mm insulated door (in Black). As ours is an integral garage, replacing our crappy Horstman up and over (un-insulated) with an insulated roller door has made a huge amount of difference inside the garage and the house, especially in winter. Security is a great point as these are much more secure than an up and over and, if for any reason its open after 7pm I get a notification from my Homeseer to let me know its open and if that gets ignored, Ajax wont set at night unless its closed.

Associate
That’s why I fitted ours, the cost of the door wasn’t much, but it certainly covered a good few pints a felt well deserved afterwards :)

Back
Top Bottom