Cash on collection/Collection only

Associate
May be an odd question but thought i'd ask to see what people's methods are.

Whenever i sell stuff mainly through forums etc, i would usually post items off to their destination and have never done a collection only type item.

For any one who do do Collection only, do you invite people over to where you live and do the transfer there and then, or do you designate a specific place like a random car park away from your address to carry this out?

I personally find it concerning if the buyer were to rock up to your house to receive the items with the off chance of being robbed, threatened or what not (since they now know where you live).. but also a bit weird doing it at a random area which can look a little shady too.

Thoughts?

Caporegime
if it's an expensive item then surely meeting in a car park or somewhere is more risky.

if your going to meet half way or something I guess that's different

Associate
if it's an expensive item then surely meeting in a car park or somewhere is more risky.

if your going to meet half way or something I guess that's different
I recall buying a red Vauxhall Astra in 2001 for £485. Asking price was £495.
The seller asked me to meet him in a back street in Streatham, South London.
I walked around the car once, kicked a couple tyres, pushed the front of the car up and down to inspect the suspension and then he opened the bonnet at which point I touched the spark plug wires and counted four of them.
Finally, I looked at the log book. I asked if the the name on the certificate was his. He said that he was selling it for a friend.
I had the car for 8 years with no problems.

Caporegime
I personally find it concerning if the buyer were to rock up to your house to receive the items with the off chance of being robbed, threatened or what not (since they now know where you live).. but also a bit weird doing it at a random area which can look a little shady too.

I heard of someone getting paid with forged notes after two dodgy blokes turned up to buy an expensive monitor they sold on gumtree. I guess there is risk the other way around too, youths turning up to buy say a phone worth £500 and getting robbed by some gang etc...

Caporegime
This is why you meet outside your neighbours house.

Security, not far to walk and if they come back in the night it's not your problem!

Soldato
I sold a car and a motorcycle cash on collection came to my house.

Invited them both in, offered them a drink etc

Both transactions went perfectly smoothly with both parties happy.

Soldato
Sometimes selling computer bits I have invited them in so they can test the stuff out as I did with VR set not long ago.
If it is something they don't need to test like clothing items I would do the transaction at my front door.

Associate
Remember that you can be issued with a chargeback if the buyer paid online, and collected in person, as there is no evidence of the collection.

As for actual question, it depends what it is. I've sold a good few things online with no collection issues. Console, plaster, and mostly bicycle parts. Home, train station, petrol station, motoway bridge (half way points).

However these days i'm very strict with selling due to the potential (scam?) hassle. Chances are you can tell if the person is sketchy, but this is a generalisation so can't be relied upon. Many well dressed people are aholes, and i look sketchy but always go the extra mile.

I think it just really depends on the item as the baseline. Electronics need a home demo. Some building materials, supermarket will be fine.

I suggest if possible, meet at a busy area like the places i've mentioned. Use an excuse to justify it if need be. "In a rush, suddenly have to collect a nephew", for example.

In regards to being robbed, eg someone is scoping out you house, have a big friend round at the time, and hide all your expensive gear. Do it on the drive/road and mention your german sheperds dislike visitors. Snap a sneaky pic as they pull up, or have your misses or a friend do one as you are securing the deal.

Associate
OP
thanks for the tips guys.. most of the stuff i wanna get rid of are electronics/computers but good to know what to expect and how direct transactiosn work.

With regards to:
Remember that you can be issued with a chargeback if the buyer paid online, and collected in person, as there is no evidence of the collection.

Does this include doing the transaction via bank transfer?

Soldato
Remember that you can be issued with a chargeback if the buyer paid online, and collected in person, as there is no evidence of the collection
eBay now give the buyer a barcode that the seller can scan to confirm collection. I asked a similar question recently, thread will be in the search somewhere. In the end my seller just cancelled the offer I made when we were happy with the items and he took the cash. Probably would advise scanning the barcode thingy to prove receipt if it's a single high value item.

Caporegime
May be an odd question but thought i'd ask to see what people's methods are.

Whenever i sell stuff mainly through forums etc, i would usually post items off to their destination and have never done a collection only type item.

For any one who do do Collection only, do you invite people over to where you live and do the transfer there and then, or do you designate a specific place like a random car park away from your address to carry this out?

Thoughts?

I'm genuinely surprised by the number of morons out there especially on gumtree.

I always sell from my home. I have had an idiot turn up without any money saying he wanted to see if it was a scam or not. So he asked if he could see the item, make sure it was all in good order then said I don't have any cash on me. I'm like wtf. So he says I have been scammed before and I'm like well I have invited you to my home. It's pretty obvious to spot a scam as they normally ask you to meet at a mcdonalds car park, etc. Anyway said moron said he would take it and then never turned up after saying he was off to a cash machine. So the guy literally drove to my home to not only waste my time but his own time and money. This is pretty much 99% of the people you will get on gumtree. Absolute rockets.

As for your line of questioning. I have literally sold thousands of items in fact I just sold an IKEA kallax thing on it at the weekend there. Not once have I ever been scammed and I have sold high value stuff been handed multiple hundreds / thousands in cash, etc. I've sold about 10-15 PS5's on it in the past year as an example and when covid started I sold a tonne of gym equipment. I have only ever had one issue and that was when some moron decided to drag a washing machine through 3 foot deep snow and turn it into a snow plough before taking it home and then messaging me 2 hours later to say it had flooded his kitchen. Well no **** sherlock. I even pointed out that fact you had covered the internal wiring and electronic chips with snow and scooped out a handful to prove it before you drove off. Told him to do one and never heard from him since.

If someone wanted to meet me in a car park. I'd instantly just say no and walk away. I literally just bought a gaming monitor 1-2 weeks ago from someone's home on gumtree and I didn't bother to check the box and I still haven't tested the monitor. Why? I could tell from the person and their home that it's in the box and it works. I will be testing it out later today but I'm confident everything will be fine. I have turned up to some places and did a quick deal but it's pretty obvious how to spot a scammer.

Cash first. Count it. Re count it but this time examine notes to check if genuine. Then hand over goods. I did have someone turn up to buy a PS5 who was £10 short for instance. I counted then re-counted in front of them and then triple counted to prove it.

Caporegime
I recall buying a red Vauxhall Astra in 2001 for £485. Asking price was £495.
The seller asked me to meet him in a back street in Streatham, South London.
I walked around the car once, kicked a couple tyres, pushed the front of the car up and down to inspect the suspension and then he opened the bonnet at which point I touched the spark plug wires and counted four of them.
Finally, I looked at the log book. I asked if the the name on the certificate was his. He said that he was selling it for a friend.
I had the car for 8 years with no problems.
I wasn't aware £485 was considered a lot of money or an expensive item in 2001 :p

I meant if your selling a 2k laptop or something and go meet in a car park your chances of being robbed are probably a lot higher and less likely of CCTV or doorbell cams etc catching them

Associate
thanks for the tips guys.. most of the stuff i wanna get rid of are electronics/computers but good to know what to expect and how direct transactiosn work.

With regards to:
Does this include doing the transaction via bank transfer?

As one guy mentioned, once it's transferred, that's it. However, there may be exceptions? And if you sell an item that works, genuine buyer finds it doesn't work (courier broke it), i'd still tread lightly for you own sake.

This reminds me, i once bought a joblot of bike parts off a forum, seller dissappeared. Before driving across the whole country i contacted the police, they went round the next day. I can only presume he was on the naughty list.

eBay now give the buyer a barcode that the seller can scan to confirm collection. I asked a similar question recently, thread will be in the search somewhere. In the end my seller just cancelled the offer I made when we were happy with the items and he took the cash. Probably would advise scanning the barcode thingy to prove receipt if it's a single high value item.

Interesting, and good to know, thanks

Soldato
As one guy mentioned, once it's transferred, that's it. However, there may be exceptions? And if you sell an item that works, genuine buyer finds it doesn't work (courier broke it), i'd still tread lightly for you own sake.

The exceptions are that the transfer was made fraudulently, e.g. the owner of the account didn't make the transfer and that will be obvious to the bank if that was the case. Given you need to have 2FA for adding a new payee with most banks now its quite hard to do.

The chance of that happening in some face to face gumtree/facebook sale for cheap second hand good is very small.

Soldato
I never do it, you dont know what type of person will show up.

They could be knocking on your door 6 months later talking some crazy xxxx about how the thing broke yesterday and you owe them a full refund or lose some teeth

Associate
I wasn't aware £485 was considered a lot of money or an expensive item in 2001 :p

I meant if your selling a 2k laptop or something and go meet in a car park your chances of being robbed are probably a lot higher and less likely of CCTV or doorbell cams etc catching them

The point is despite the manner in which I purchased the car. It turned out to be very good. Never gave me problems. Only had to replace brakes or tyres. Engine was immaculate.

Back
Top Bottom