Huel: The Future of Food ..

Caporegime
I never intended to try Huel but looks like I am going to be forced by circumstance

Know that you're not alone. I'll be living on Huel only (3x daily) for the next 7 days. I just want to get rid of the stuff before it expires at the end of September and then I'm never buying any more ever again. :p (And drop a bit of weight as well.)

Soldato
Well I'm back to throw out just one more opinion/review into this sea of opinions lol (why not!)

My order turned up yesterday and I made one vanilla shake for lunch and one chocolate shake today. It's nice to feel like I've eaten something because I was getting stupidly hungry from not really being able to, but overall I'm not that impressed - if Huel really is "the future of food" as they claim then what a depressing and synthetic bland tasting future we are in for :D

The unmixed powder smells like emulsion to me, just like chalky paint or like that smell of a paint kettle that's had some paint dry into it. It improves a fair bit once the water is added and you can smell the flavouring a bit better. Goes down okay, it's not awful or unpleasant tasting but I can't say I would ever look forward to it either. I bought some metal Boba straws which are big wide straws used for bubble tea and that works well for sucking it down.

I expect once I can chew a bit better again I will likely quit the Huel but then return to it each time my braces are tightened and eating is very sore again for the first week or so, but then after my treatment is over I can't see me having it again. I might experiment with it a bit as it feels like perhaps it would do better as a base for smoothies that have more actual fruit in them to make it taste a bit less synthetic

Soldato
I expect once I can chew a bit better again I will likely quit the Huel but then return to it each time my braces are tightened and eating is very sore again for the first week or so, but then after my treatment is over I can't see me having it again. I might experiment with it a bit as it feels like perhaps it would do better as a base for smoothies that have more actual fruit in them to make it taste a bit less synthetic

You might find it a lot nicer if you chuck a banana, some peanut butter, or strawberries and mix it in a blender.

Soldato
I have about 4 or 5 bags (1 of each flavour, almost) and tbh I hardly ever eat them as I actually quite like the cold ones (once you find the flavours you like and the consistency that suits you). I probably really should eat them, just to use them up...

Soldato
I have about 4 or 5 bags (1 of each flavour, almost) and tbh I hardly ever eat them as I actually quite like the cold ones (once you find the flavours you like and the consistency that suits you). I probably really should eat them, just to use them up...
I imagine they would be good for long hikes, similar to why i originally used the powder.

Soldato
So, after many times looking into this I've finally made the jump and decided to go with Huel for at least a few weeks to try it out, Also looked at cheaper alternatives but Huel ticks all the boxes for me so I would rather stick to it.

Current plan is to have it 2 meals a day, breakfast and lunch and it will vary when I'm working, essentially all I will be taking to work is Huel and a piece of fruit for mid shift snack so day shifts it will be breakfast and lunch, night shifts it will be lunch and dinner and I will eat my healthy(ish) meals at home.

Started to have some a couple of weeks back to give it a go so I've tried a few methods and personally I prefer the 5-600ml water and 90g in the shaker compared to adding other things, blending or leaving overnight, i find the grittiness adds to it and is actually quite pleasant.

For now I'm sticking with Huel Black for 2 meals and Huel protein as a drink if/when I fancy one but my partner does have some of the hot stuff (plus a mac and cheeze on the way) that I may try at some point in the future if I fancy something savoury.

Soldato
I imagine they would be good for long hikes, similar to why i originally used the powder.

I got some of the chilli one a while back and used it on camping trips.

I wouldn't eat it out of choice at home, but it's really really good for camping. Weighs nothing and cooks up really easy, plenty of decent nutrition. Will be keeping a stash of them in the camper for future trips!

Soldato
Finally giving it a go.
Ordered 2 bags with the free stuff (why not) for £35, vanilla and banana.

I tried it years ago when the free samples where available and from I remember I wasn't a fan but I'm not sure what it was that I tried and they have changed the formula since then.

Only looking at having 1 shake per day in an effort to keep track of things and cut my calorie intake.

Caporegime
Despite me saying I was done with it, I ended up getting some more as my mum decided to try it out. But she ordered the wrong thing and got the Protein jar instead of the Huel powder. So she gave them to me which was very nice of her. They'll save me a few bob buying chicken breasts each week. :p

Caporegime
Really really liking the Mac n cheese that and the sweet and sour are perfect for lunch at work.

Looking forward to trying the Mac N Cheese one.

I ordered some more meals and bought the Korma again (just for some variety) but remembered that it was totally bland when I had it before and was probably my least favourite. Any ideas on how to liven it up a bit?

Back
Top Bottom