Torque Wrench

Associate
Just bought a cheapo Torque Wrench from Screwfix, a Magnusson 3/8" Nm. What I am confused about is the adjuster goes from 0 - 8 instead of ones I have had in the past that go from 0 - 10. Does anyone have any idea how to use this as the instructions are useless?

Thanks

Brian

Caporegime
Take it back and buy a proper one. Of all the tools to cheap out on, this is not one of them. You'll be drilling out knackered bolts before you know it.

Soldato
Do you not just add the number on the dial to the number on the shaft as you do on any torque wrench of that type? What difference does the number range make?

If it's numbered 0-8 then it's 10 NM per full turn which makes complete sense.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I took it back to Screwfix. I have a Draper one that will do the job, I just wanted one that goes from about 10-100 or thereabouts. Will manage with what I have. thanks for all of your input though.

Brian

Associate
You'd be amazed how quickly torque wrenches lose their accuracy if left under tension, and that's without being used at all.

Associate
Is your right arm bigger than your left arm?
Or is your machine automatic?
:cry:
when I first starting doing them we use use a manual one and yes I do seem to have imbalance in my muscle structure on my arms :cry:. I have also used the automatic ones, they certainly make life easier.
Anyway back to the OP and looking at cheap torque wrench’s. Out of the all the different ones I have calibrated, the Halfords ones considered to be cheap by a lot of people, have always performed very well and even better than some highly recommended name brands. I am fairly sure they are older Norbar models rebadged. The torque wrench’s that are always best are snap-on or Norbar.

Last edited:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

If it's numbered 0-8 then it's 10 NM per full turn which makes complete sense.

If it's numbered 0-8 then I would expect each main scale increment to be 9nm apart.

For example, this torque wrench is set to 19.5nm. The minor scale is reading 5.5nm, you add that to the last main scale reading of 14nm, so 19.5nm. It has 1.5nm of minor scale left before reaching 21nm - i.e. even though the minor scale only shows 0-6, there are actually 7 complete divisions and you can see each main scale division is in fact 7nm apart. *

Capture.png

**ignore the fact that it's actually a double minor scale division - i.e. it goes 0-6-0-6 around the adjustable dial so it has 14 divisions - the above text is just for illustration.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

The numbers seem to go 0,1,1.5,2,2.5 ........ 6,6.5 then back to 0 again. This is really doing my head in. I'm not looking for extreme accuracy but......

So it sounds like the image I posted above, each main scale division will be 7nm apart - see my worked example above on how to read it.

Soldato
Sounds like someone doesn't know how to work the scale on a torque wrench is all.

Yeah...only the ft/lb or NM scale can go up in whole numbers...the other needs to have decimal places so they both work with the fine adjustment

OP's just had a torque wrench that had the NM in whole numbers before...the Magnusson one had the ft/lb in whole numbers

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Yeah...only the ft/lb or NM scale can go up in whole numbers...the other needs to have decimal places so they both work with the fine adjustment

OP's just had a torque wrench that had the NM in whole numbers before...the Magnusson one had the ft/lb in whole numbers
Erm no, that's not it.

Soldato
Why? That seemed to be where the confusion was since he was used to the NM going up in 10s on his old torque wrench

I'm only going by the 2 I have here but on one wrench the ft/lb goes up in 5s, the NM up in 0.7s so the ft/lb in whole numbers....the other has NM in whole numbers... the ft/lb goes up in 25.8 increments..the NM goes up in 35's

Scale's marked like that so when the adjuster's at 0 it lines up with a mark on both scales

Or have I missed the point?!

Back
Top Bottom