Give UK 4 more bank holidays, says TUC

Soldato
4 more bank holidays would be good for me personally, I get them off but stay on call, so get the holidays back in lieu afterwards, so would be 8 extra days for me :D To actually do anything on a bank holiday is a nightmare usually anyways, so I just lounge around the house, liek today.

I worked in the MOD for a year and we got 2.5 extra BHs:

- an extra day off at Christmas (usually 27th December)
- the Queen's birthday (the June one)
- the afternoon before Good Friday (Mournday Thursday)

Not particularly fussed about those though. All I'm asking for is an extra BH in the New Year, so 2nd of January as well as the 1st. I think coming back to work on the 2nd Jan is just too soon after New Year. Even if I wasn't drinking! What also gets my goat is coming into work on the 3rd Jan and the Christmas decor is already taken down. You do it on the 6th :p

Caporegime
I worked in the MOD for a year and we got 2.5 extra BHs:

- an extra day off at Christmas (usually 27th December)
- the Queen's birthday (the June one)
- the afternoon before Good Friday (Mournday Thursday)

Not particularly fussed about those though. All I'm asking for is an extra BH in the New Year, so 2nd of January as well as the 1st. I think coming back to work on the 2nd Jan is just too soon after New Year. Even if I wasn't drinking! What also gets my goat is coming into work on the 3rd Jan and the Christmas decor is already taken down. You do it on the 6th :p
Same here in the FCO. They call them privilege days.

Soldato
Lots more people working Saturday and Sundays these days, making the Saturday before Easter Sunday (Holy Saturday?) a bank hol would mean a lot of these weekend workers would get a proper long Easter break.

Where to put other extra ones that England and Wales severely lack is a tricky one. In the summer months means in theory more chance of being able to do something outdoors, but there's almost a four month period between August bank hol and Xmas Day and ~3+ months between New Year's Day and Good Friday.

Queen Liz's birthday, or perhaps somewhere around longest day weekend in June might be a good shout.

What I really don't agree with is moving bank hols like next year, when Late May bank hol will be replaced with Thurs 2nd June, to go alongside the extra bank hol on Fri 3rd for Liz's Jubilee. Given the pathetic allotment of bank hols in England, Thurs and Fri should be extra.

Soldato
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58379875

I'd rather 4 extra days holiday entitlement than 4 more bank holidays. Do people enjoy bank holidays?

I'm with you on this, would definitely rather have the days I want off, than have to take time off when it doesn't necessarily suit me (along with everyone else being off at the same time so that everywhere & everything is busy and traffic is awful)

Soldato
We get Christmas, boxing and new years day off and the remaining 5 we work and they just get added to our annual entitlement. An extra 4 on top would be awesome :D

Soldato
I think there should be four main four-day weekends (Friday, Sat, Sun, Mon) per year at the solstices and equinoxes. I.e. Easter, midsummer, harvest, and Christmas. Add in extra ones - like the Jubilee - as required.

Man of Honour
When I was working as a Black Cab driver I liked Bank Holidays, the meter automatically switched to Tariff 3, the highest tariff, the same as between 22.00 and 06.00, (05.00 now), but the only Bank Holidays which attracted ‘extras’, were Christmas, £4.00 on each hiring from 22.00 on Christmas Eve until 06.00 on the 27th December, and £4.00 each hiring from 22.00 NYE until 06.00 January 2nd.
The way I saw it, I’d work while everyone else enjoyed their Bank Holiday day off, then I’ll take time off while everyone else is at work, and the roads, trains, and airports were quiet, (in the good old days).
When I was trucking, for an employer, I liked them too, I’d volunteer to work if anything was going and get double time and a day off in lieu.

Associate
Do most people not get 6 weeks off a year including bank hols? I think they need better controls on working hours. Limit the length of organised shifts, and add a rule that you need 1.5x the time off between shifts. This would discourage 12 hour shifts.

Caporegime
Do most people not get 6 weeks off a year including bank hols? I think they need better controls on working hours. Limit the length of organised shifts, and add a rule that you need 1.5x the time off between shifts. This would discourage 12 hour shifts.

But many of us would prefer that.

In my job I could do 3x 12.5 hour shifts and thus work 3 days a week and have 4 days off.

Much better but sadly no voted down by people wanting more days away from their appalling marriages

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Sooner have first Saturday of every month everything shut after 12:30 and Sunday no openings of nothing. No exceptions even the corner shop shut the only thing allowed open is a petrol station.

Sooner have first Saturday of every month everything shut after 12:30 and Sunday no openings of nothing. No exceptions even the corner shop shut the only thing allowed open is a petrol station.

I think the corner shop should still remain open e.g. my local Spar. I can't drive in this lifetime as I'm legally blind, so the petrol station shop would be no good for me if my milk has gone off.

Soldato

I disagree. I'd like shops to be open as and when they want to open but shop workers should have two consecutive calendar days off. This will allow a Muslim to have Friday off and a Judaist to have Saturday off.

Soldato
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58379875

I'd rather 4 extra days holiday entitlement than 4 more bank holidays. Do people enjoy bank holidays?
I agree with extra holiday. I have worked for employers that close on BHs and I hated it. It was busy, full of screaming kids. I work all but two per year.
In many countries, if the bank holiday falls in the weekend, they lose that BH. Whereas here, most don’t fall on a fixed date - it’s only Christmas Day, Boxing Day and NYD are fixed. As they fall this time round on Saturday, Sunday and Saturday - the 27/12, 28/12 and 3/1 are classed as BHs

Soldato
I disagree. I'd like shops to be open as and when they want to open but shop workers should have two consecutive calendar days off. This will allow a Muslim to have Friday off and a Judaist to have Saturday off.

Completely agree, Sunday trading hours are kind of silly in 2021. When this was debated in parliament last the consensus tended to be 'but think of the worker, they'd have to work longer'!!!

As a worker actually working these shifts, I'd prefer a proper 8+ hour shift where I earnt a full days wages and not some silly short 6-7 hour shift. It's not like you can do anything else on that day with those couple of extra hours and lots of stuff is shut due to Sunday trading....

Back
Top Bottom