Keep Mobile phone on 24/7 or turn it off?

Soldato
myself & friend was having a discussion about Mobile phones & from OS/Hardware point of view if its better to leave your phone on 24/7 or turning it off at night is better

what are your thoughts?

The obvious ones are :

• Linux/android/IOS are designed with being on 24/7 in mind so have mechanisms to keep them more healthy if on 24/7
  • Battery health should be better by being turned off
  • Turning on a phone is more stressful on the CPU/RAM/Battery than being on 24/7 due to high usage & bootup

Soldato
i turn it off and my batteries last well, i see people with young iphones with terrible battery life left due probably to constantly leaving them on without a care

Soldato
Who cares in all honesty

I didn't want to say this, but since you came out and did it for me...

Who wants to spent their lives babying and micromanaging what is effectively disposable tech by worrying about stuff like SoC wear and tear? It's a phone - don't drop it, don't lose it, but otherwise use it and enjoy what you own.

Man of Honour
Leave mine on 24x7 - batteries generally last well enough though I do usually charge from around 40-50% or higher very rarely run it right down as some do.

Personally I have it in do not disturb mode all the time and whitelist important contacts.

Soldato
I didn't want to say this, but since you came out and did it for me...

Who wants to spent their lives babying and micromanaging what is effectively disposable tech by worrying about stuff like SoC wear and tear? It's a phone - don't drop it, don't lose it, but otherwise use it and enjoy what you own.

My friend turns off data to save battery... He is also on a SIM plan that sends/receives his SMS messages through data.

Don't ask

Soldato
i see people with young iphones with terrible battery life left due probably to constantly leaving them on without a care
Absolutely nothing to do with it.
Charging habits on the other hand are probably where these people slip up - that and using Snapchat/Tik Tok 24 hours a day! Leaving on charge all night or more likely letting the battery drain down to almost empty on a regular basis.

Soldato
Don't chips normally have an expect life span of 50k hours. So leaving the phone on 24/7 it should last 5.7 years. Of course the lifetime of semiconductors is usually much higher in practice.

Back in the days os Symbian and various other OS you could power down phones and important functions like an alarm would turn the phone on and sound. That doesn't work with modern phones.

Associate
Seriously this subject in 2021 lol.

Do you think that modern mobile phones are actually designed to be switched off, Do you think the batteries are also designed this way? ...The answer is a big fat no.

a Quote about modern batteries.
"
Powering off a device occasionally helps preserve battery life
False

This one is a myth too, but not a completely unfounded one. Before the lithium-ion battery became ubiquitous, the nickel metal hydride battery was the rechargeable battery of choice. In those batteries, it was impossible to get an accurate reading of the battery charge level without fully discharging and then recharging the battery. “If they were half discharged and recharged, you’d lose where you were. So you’d have to fully discharge to keep track,” Griffith says.

In Lithium-ion batteries, that’s no longer the case. Modern batteries are capable of reading their state no matter their level of charge, and when your device isn’t in use the strain on the battery is almost the same as if it was off altogether, so you wouldn’t be giving the battery much of a break if you turned it off anyway."

That was a quick 30-sec google search there are quite a few articles on it actually. there have been a few studies on it also.

It is also like my parents used to spend 20 min before they went to bed turning off all sockets before they went to bed.

Back
Top Bottom