***Rugby Super League XXVI (other RL chat welcome!)***

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
Welp, called it re: the St Helens match. But our youngsters gave a good account of themselves, which is a plus.

Meanwhile, anyone who watched that Our League stream was treated to a Toulouse masterclass. A shame that they switched off for a second and allowed Broncos over for one, but 6-66 is still a fair old drubbing :cool:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
'ave it :cool:

Hull gave a decent account of themselves in the main, before southern French summer heat wilted them. And baby McNamara was excellent, responsible for half of Hull's score. I was glad that he had a good match.

***edit***

Good win for Salford against Huddersfield. Leigh took another thumping, predictably. I didn't predict Wigan losing to KR though - waiting for the highlights of that one on YT to see what happened.

Last edited:
Associate
They might need to reduce it to 1975 prices to attract a crowd after another poor display.

Didn't help losing Powell early on and with no hooker on the bench, by the time they reorganised they were 16-0 down. I just feel that Wigan are wasting Hastings' talent. I would expect another coach to get at least 50% more out of the whole team. Adrian Lam has now run his course and its time to start making changes for next season. He was bought in to bring more attacking rugby. The gameplan seems to be give it to Hastings and if that doesn't work, just give it to him anyway. There just seems a general malaise about the whole club at the moment.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
Catalans - Hull highlights

Tidy interception for their first try. We absolutely switched off for their second. They deserved to go into the break ahead. Another rocking half-time talk from McNamara and we got our **** together.

***edit***

Just watched the highlights of KR - Wigan. Shame it all got a bit unnecessary at the end there, clearly Wigan were frustrated. Best channel it into a better result next time out.

Last edited:
Soldato
They might need to reduce it to 1975 prices to attract a crowd after another poor display.

Didn't help losing Powell early on and with no hooker on the bench, by the time they reorganised they were 16-0 down. I just feel that Wigan are wasting Hastings' talent. I would expect another coach to get at least 50% more out of the whole team. Adrian Lam has now run his course and its time to start making changes for next season. He was bought in to bring more attacking rugby. The gameplan seems to be give it to Hastings and if that doesn't work, just give it to him anyway. There just seems a general malaise about the whole club at the moment.

All that being said, Wigan are still 4th! Agree regarding Hastings, this season it just feels like he has been shoe horned in to any position and hoping for the best.

Derby time this weekend! EEEk! FC have some big name players coming back in from injury so could be fairly full strength. We still have Abdull missing, along with Ethan Ryan who literally returned from a break in one hand to do exactly the same thing in the other hand one match back. Going to be a tough ask for Rovers, but so was the Wigan game, so who knows. We are going well at the moment, even with our bigger names missing (Quinlan gone for the season too now).

Associate
They were worse then awful - haven't been hiding away, I've been away on holiday. Sculthorpe's comment about them looking like a bunch of blokes who met in the pub and decided to have a game were pretty much spot on. I can't understand how Lam is still in post.

An indicator of the ambition of the club atm is that Hastings is apparently being replaced by Miller from Wakefield and that Matty Peet (the attack coordinator - yes that attack that was so good against Sts) will be Head Coach next season with Wane in some sort of role

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
They were worse then awful - haven't been hiding away, I've been away on holiday. Sculthorpe's comment about them looking like a bunch of blokes who met in the pub and decided to have a game were pretty much spot on. I can't understand how Lam is still in post.

An indicator of the ambition of the club atm is that Hastings is apparently being replaced by Miller from Wakefield and that Matty Peet (the attack coordinator - yes that attack that was so good against Sts) will be Head Coach next season with Wane in some sort of role

I genuinely fear for Wigan. They're haemorrhaging support, they look utterly bereft of good ideas, they've got a depleted squad, the players they have left are stuck doing jobs on-field that they aren't right for...and then there's Zak Hardaker, who spent half the season busy trying to be the only man in Rugby League more dangerous to his own team's chances than their opponents.

***edit***

Oh boy. Wigan 0-14 Leeds. Distinctly un-good.

Last edited:
Associate
I can't recall a Wigan team playing as badly as they are at the moment - maybe the start of 2006.

I can't think of a single player that could honestly say they'd worked their hardest in that game. The dressing room has clearly been lost. I can see no reason why the coach is stiil in post.

First live game since the first lockdown in 2020. Good to be back watching a pro game live, from behind the posts. Strangely the absence of scrums was more noticeable live than on telly.

Associate
Full backs playing at full back and half backs playing at half back - who knew that would be a recipe for success? Cas were pretty grim mind. Powell back for the weekend, so a bit more skill around dummy half.

Wire-Sts was a cracking game. Still have Sts as favourites, but I hope Catalans can win it

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
Samisoni Langi made it home after his...well, I'll be generous and say 'badly misjudged tackle' from Agnatius Pa'asi rather 'assault' (no attempt to wrap, shoulder to Langi's head, can't believe it was only a yellow). Had his bell rung but good, so he'll be a doubt for the the last two rounds of the regular season and possibly the playoffs as well. That seemed to the the Saints gameplan for a bit - high tackles and general ****-housery.

Highlights:

The score before the comeback (30-12) really wasn't reflective of the match IMO. But in truth the Dragons had been a bit off their expressive, expansive best until later on. Like Morgue being scary good when he's doing stuff like the set up for the Dudson try near the end. That Drinkwater kick for Kasiano's equalising try. Tomkins' awareness in saving the 40/20 attempt by Saints. That drop goal by Maloney (he'll be sorely missed when he goes to Lezignan for next season), especially in contrast to Coote screwing up a much easier chance at the other end.

McNamara certainly staying realistic:

Back
Top Bottom