Power delivery of EVGA 750W White

Associate
A friend's pc has been having trouble with random shutdowns, not necessarily under heavy load. It can happen when doing anything from Affinity Photo to browsing the internet. It had some PBO Tweaks on the 5600X, which I've disabled in case it's drawing too much power. They're also saying since plugging in a USB-C hub with a couple of devices it got worse

Its a White rated PSU, but at 750W it should be okay, shouldn't it..? The specs are:
5600X (now with PBO on default)
16gb 3200mhz ram
Radeon 7850 GPU
B550M Mortar WiFi

The case has RGB but the delivery on a 750W PSU should be alright for that, shouldn't it? It seemed fine at my house, and theirs under stress testing, but the shutdowns are random and extremely annoying as they keep losing work.

Associate
OP
750w is more then enough for that spec , is the bios up to date ?

Would also be checking memory with memtest
BIOS was up to date early this year (or late last year?) As it needed an update for the 5600X. Could be worth checking though as I think it was Beta then.

I did Memtest, Prime95, Furmark, Unigine, Aida64, Cinebench etc. When I built it and it was perfectly fine before I gave it to them.

They just had their house rewired, but I do wonder if it's their electrics or something

Man of Honour
BIOS was up to date early this year (or late last year?) As it needed an update for the 5600X. Could be worth checking though as I think it was Beta then.

I did Memtest, Prime95, Furmark, Unigine, Aida64, Cinebench etc. When I built it and it was perfectly fine before I gave it to them.

They just had their house rewired, but I do wonder if it's their electrics or something
Random shutdowns are the worse to diagnose, seems strange that its fine at your house so whats the differences ?

House rewired doubt that would be the cause.

Soldato
Sounds daft but might be worth checking if the socket they are using is earthed or not. I once had a similar problem, turned out one of the plug sockets I was using wasn’t earthed correctly.

I only mention it as you suggest it’s only happening at their house.

Associate
OP
Sounds daft but might be worth checking if the socket they are using is earthed or not. I once had a similar problem, turned out one of the plug sockets I was using wasn’t earthed correctly.

I only mention it as you suggest it’s only happening at their house.
Their sockets is really the only thing left, but I wanted to just check a 750W white PSU should be sufficient for the specs and extras given the efficiency rating.

I built it for them with all new parts (except the 7850 of course, which was in my wife's PC before) and ran various tests, spent hours on it with no issues. They've had random shutdowns since they got it :rolleyes: I witnessed it on a screen share, but windows logs are literally just "lost power" with no bug code...

Guess I'll see how it goes now I've turned PBO right down. Though if it was something like PBO settings causing an issue, I'd expect Prime95/Aida64 to make it complain.

Man of Honour
Their sockets is really the only thing left, but I wanted to just check a 750W white PSU should be sufficient for the specs and extras given the efficiency rating.

I built it for them with all new parts (except the 7850 of course, which was in my wife's PC before) and ran various tests, spent hours on it with no issues. They've had random shutdowns since they got it :rolleyes: I witnessed it on a screen share, but windows logs are literally just "lost power" with no bug code...

Guess I'll see how it goes now I've turned PBO right down. Though if it was something like PBO settings causing an issue, I'd expect Prime95/Aida64 to make it complain.
Long shot could it be a faulty usb device as you said it shutdowns got worse when they added a usb hub

Associate
OP
Long shot could it be a faulty usb device as you said it shutdowns got worse when they added a usb hub
Potentially, but even before the hub it was doing it on an off for months. Some days would be fine with no problems after hours of use, other days they'll be writing up blog posts and have to save drafts every 5 minutes. If it still does it, I'll ask them to remove the hub and see if it makes a noticeable difference. The randomness of it being "sometimes perfectly fine, sometimes totally awful" is making it really hard to figure out, now I'm starting to grasp at whatever straws I can :cry:

Back
Top Bottom