Quitting smoking tonight

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Great, now you can actually do some work instead of skulking off for a fag every 15 mins ;)

Caporegime
Ooof, doesn't it wipe you out when you've been off it? I caved a little when I'd been off it for about two months. I was at the pub and someone offered me one - I was wobbling about all over the place by about 3/4 in. Had to put my head on the table for a bit until the spinning stopped. :D

Yeah the first few do! It's probably the main reason why I love it so much when drunk ha. I only drink like 2-3 times a year though so it doesn't phase me too much that I cave to them as I don't crave them after it.

Soldato
That would be best as I currently feel like I'm sat in the waiting room for the dentist or something lol. Honestly I've got it in my head that this is the plan and my brain isn't happy with the suggestion of not "enjoying" the last of it even though I 100% agree it's the better plan.

You sound like people that say they are going on a diet. You need to change your diet.

stopping smoking tonight is not going to work. You need to change your behaviour and that starts now. Smokers stop smoking every time they finish a fag. What you need to do is stop/dont begin smoking . You have already said and admitted you will fail at this tonight. Good luck

Soldato
You sound like people that say they are going on a diet. You need to change your diet.

stopping smoking tonight is not going to work. You need to change your behaviour and that starts now. Smokers stop smoking every time they finish a fag. What you need to do is stop/dont begin smoking . You have already said and admitted you will fail at this tonight. Good luck
This could be true but needs to be balanced with one of, if not, the best self-help book for stopping smoking (linked below). It explains to continue smoking as you read the book otherwise your defences to the advice will be "heightened".

Soldato
I quit over 20 years ago
My method was slowly cutting down until I was only smoking a couple per day then stopped altogether
Best of luck

Soldato
I stopped dead cold turkey one Sunday about 13 - 14 years back, i dont keep track and prefer to forget that hell when i was trapped.

I am shocked you went back to it after a good period, when i quit i absolutely hated the stuff, the companies behind it, the Gov for allowing its sale and actually i dont like people who smoke anymore either.
It changes a person on a level deeper than they just stink.

Soldato
I'm a bit ashamed to admit I smoked considering I was an athlete at school. It's something I picked up at university, all those drunken nights in year one were really destructive. Looking back its the most ridiculous thing you can ever do, poisoning yourself everyday and you don't even enjoy it but your brain will fully expect the hit.

Good luck in quitting, you will smell and taste things properly again and your breathing will be much better.

Soldato
Well done mate. Probably one of the best things you can do.

And also, it's not a self centered post. It's good to know you have a load of internet strangers behind you wishing you luck. Keep strong mate, you can do this.

Might be worth keeping track of all the money you'll save, then treat yourself to something nice.

Soldato
OP
I stopped dead cold turkey one Sunday about 13 - 14 years back, i dont keep track and prefer to forget that hell when i was trapped.

I am shocked you went back to it after a good period, when i quit i absolutely hated the stuff, the companies behind it, the Gov for allowing its sale and actually i dont like people who smoke anymore either.
It changes a person on a level deeper than they just stink.

I quit (paused?) for 2 years, started again 4 years ago.

I never got that highly anti-smoking thing that ex smokers often do. Normally I would feel indifferent around smoking people. It smelt like it did before I smoked which was interesting. I would occasionally feel jealous, though usually not very intensely unless it was a time it was perfect for a fag, like abroad on holiday in the sun with a beer or whatever.

Soldato
OP
Well done mate. Probably one of the best things you can do.

And also, it's not a self centered post. It's good to know you have a load of internet strangers behind you wishing you luck. Keep strong mate, you can do this.

Might be worth keeping track of all the money you'll save, then treat yourself to something nice.

The funds have been pre allocated and a standing order set up to syphon them off lol.

I proposed to my now fiancée a month ago, and extra funds for the wedding is the primary catalyst for wanting to quit.

Soldato
Not smoked for over 2 years but my mother didn't raise no quitter and fancy a smoke but don't want a packet of 20. Shame they don't sell singles like they did when I was at primary school.

Soldato
I quit (paused?) for 2 years, started again 4 years ago.

I never got that highly anti-smoking thing that ex smokers often do. Normally I would feel indifferent around smoking people. It smelt like it did before I smoked which was interesting. I would occasionally feel jealous, though usually not very intensely unless it was a time it was perfect for a fag, like abroad on holiday in the sun with a beer or whatever.

I guess everyone is different, my dad quit and after a few weeks he started to moan that life was not the same without it and he secrectly started smoking again.
Then after we caught him he said it was only 2 a day, now he is back to about 30 a day and his lungs are ruined and he can hardly breath.
Should have stayed quit, we was doing well, way nicer person and his breathing was not too bad.

Associate
Cold turkey is the only way to go.

I was a nicotine addict for almost twenty years. Ten years smoking, the rest I had a vape shoved in my face.

I finally realised that I was getting nothing positive from being a nicotine addict. I threw hundreds of pounds of vaping stuff in the bin and never looked back. Even now I cannot believe it took me that long to kick it.

Good luck OP! If a raging nicotine addict like me can kick it then so can anyone.

Back
Top Bottom