Quitting smoking tonight

Soldato
I quit a two pack a day habit 13 years ago and haven't had one since. After losing both parents to lung cancer both my sister and I decided to quit at the same time. I used Champix which I got from the doctor while still living in the US and she used nicotine lozenges. Neither of us has smoked since but she is still addicted to the lozenges :D

So good luck with quitting OP and I really hope it sticks this time

Soldato
I started at the age of 7 - picking knub ends up outside the steel works down the road.
Obviously it wasn't much as we couldn't afford to smoke - but a few years later we could buy one fag for a 1p at local shop - from then on it escalated and by time I was in early 20's was smoking quite a bit-Woodbine -Park Drive -Players - and all sorts of fancy ciggies.
Then one day walking down New street in Brum it struck me I don't like this anymore and threw packet of fags and matches or lighter into a waste bin.
At that point I "wanted" to give it up - If you think you should give it up it will be hard -You will have one when they are offer around by instinct but just say no I have packed it in.
Other than a few cigars the first few xmas's I haven't touched one for 50 yrs.

The point I am trying to put over is you HAVE to want to stop - not thinking you should stop.

Good luck I really hope you mange it - you will feel better for it - My brother on the other hand (younger) has a real hacking cough and spitting up nasty looking stuff.

Almost forgot - your breath will smell a lot better.

Soldato
I started at the age of 7 - picking knub ends up outside the steel works down the road.
Obviously it wasn't much as we couldn't afford to smoke - but a few years later we could buy one fag for a 1p at local shop - from then on it escalated and by time I was in early 20's was smoking quite a bit-Woodbine -Park Drive -Players - and all sorts of fancy ciggies.
Then one day walking down New street in Brum it struck me I don't like this anymore and threw packet of fags and matches or lighter into a waste bin.
At that point I "wanted" to give it up - If you think you should give it up it will be hard -You will have one when they are offer around by instinct but just say no I have packed it in.
Other than a few cigars the first few xmas's I haven't touched one for 50 yrs.

The point I am trying to put over is you HAVE to want to stop - not thinking you should stop.

Good luck I really hope you mange it - you will feel better for it - My brother on the other hand (younger) has a real hacking cough and spitting up nasty looking stuff.

Almost forgot - your breath will smell a lot better.

100% agree. Its a mental state of mind. This is why op is setting himself up to fail since hes ‘gonna stop after tonight etc etc’. If he wanted to stop he would stop now.

Man of Honour
I quit around 40 years ago but without intending to quit, or trying to.
I was going through maybe 30 Gauloises per day but I got a cold, the kind where your throat hurts when you swallow.
Swallowing the smoke by inhalation hurt, so I decided to quit until the cold ran its course, which it did after a week.
I thought ‘okay, as soon as I fancy a cigarette, I’ll buy a pack’, days went by, then weeks, and I thought ‘to hell with it, I’ll quit.’
Never had one since, put on a couple of kilos, but began walking an extra half circuit of Southwark Park in addition to to the regular daily circuit, and soon knocked the weight off.
I was always too vain to let myself get heavier, no matter how old I was.

Soldato
Good luck OP, I quit 13 years ago and if I can do it anyone can!

I now only have an occasional smoke in my dreams. During the first few years after quitting I'd have frequent smoking dreams, sometimes really going for it with a cigarette in each hand, taking alternating puffs :)

Now I only get about one or two per year.

PS Stay away from people smoking!!

Soldato
Good luck mate.

I was never a heavy smoker and so gave up fairly easily. But somehow got caught up in the ecig world.

Just need to knock that on the head now.

Associate
Good luck.. i've been in the same position where i told myself i'd quite over and over.. even creating new years resolutions, but that never worked.. but i persevered and managed to quit after 16years of smoking before i went into vaping.

I then spent around 3 years on and off vaping with nicotine liquid from different strenths before reducing to 0.. but in my opinion made it worse for myself as i have continued to vape for another 5 till present on 0mg liquid and no motivation to give that up as i 'like the taste' of it.

Now i can't even go near my dad who continues to smoke.. After quitting properly, you realise just how bad you smelt, your clothes smell, and actually believe it when people including your close ones tell you smell

Soldato
Don't give up for other people. Give up for yourself.

The last thing you ever want to do sitting in the doctors office is think "I wish I'd have given up smoking".

Soldato
I quit after 30+ years of a pack or more a day, and it frustrates me to say that it was crazy easy.
I've changed the curtains, re painted the whole house, and can still get a whiff of that foul smell.
Carpets are next i guess :(
Best of luck.

Associate
Best of luck, i gave up 20/30 a day roll ups, for a 25 year habit :(
First thing you need to ask your self, do you really want to quit? If the answer is yes then you are home and dry, sure it really is going to suck at times, but remember you dont wantt to do this **** any more!!!

I have the most addictive nature going, but for health reasons i stopped!!!! If i can any one with 1 oz of determination can.....just remember do you really want to quit ?

good luck it can be done belive me!!!

edit not smoked anything for 12+ years now!!

Soldato
When I found out COPD years ago it was big incentive to quit. I once stumbled across the COPD forums and its not pretty reading. Basically people desperate for any sort or new medication or exercises to sooth the pain. It's the harsh reality.

Soldato
You need a stronger reason else sadly I suspect you may fail again. I smoked for the best part of twenty years and repeatedly quit and re-started. Then when I found out I was due to be a father I quit and have never touched a cigarette since.

One other thing: think about the "triggers" for a cigarette and try to avoid them. Whenever you find yourself in one of those trigger situations actively occupy your hands and mind.

Good luck to you OP. I really hope you can do it.

Back
Top Bottom