• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which GPU for 3440x1440?

Associate
I have recently just bought a 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor mainly due to wanting to try it out for both work and gaming. I did have 3 monitors before 1x 1440p 16:9 for gaming/main screen and 2 1080p monitors flanking it for things like discord, Google Chrome etc.

I had a 2060s as a stopgap card as my 1080ti died but haven't had much luck with the new gen GPU availability.

With all that said, if I wanted to play some MMO games, MOBA, FPS/battle arena type games as well as do my day to day Microsoft office type work then anyone have any suggestions as to how high up the food chain of GPUs I need to go. Are we talking 3080ti or 6900xt or more or what is the minimum people would suggest for a 144hz 3440x1440p screen?

Associate
hi,

i'm getting by just fine with a 6700xt, might have to ease back a level of detail in games/accept less than 144hz solid, but smooth enough. would have chosen a 3080 ideally, but forum deal (thankyou) sent me this way. its good enough and i feel no need to upgrade until better prices prevail.

Caporegime
hi,

i'm getting by just fine with a 6700xt, might have to ease back a level of detail in games/accept less than 144hz solid, but smooth enough. would have chosen a 3080 ideally, but forum deal (thankyou) sent me this way. its good enough and i feel no need to upgrade until better prices prevail.
Had planned to get a 3080 for that res, but settled on a 3060Ti instead. Currently still stuck on 1080p due to monitor shortage/Brexit/whatever (only LG knows why they aren't sending monitors to the UK...)

Expect that 3060Ti to last 12 months or so, before starting to struggle with the latest games at 1440p. I mean, it will already struggle on some of them. I might be pleasantly surprised but I'm not counting on this being the longest serving card I've ever had :p

Unless 2022 is even worse than 2021 for GPUs, hah. Could happen!

Associate
OP
hi,

Was that the sapphire nitro? Quite a good deal that one.

Associate
OP
Had planned to get a 3080 for that res, but settled on a 3060Ti instead. Currently still stuck on 1080p due to monitor shortage/Brexit/whatever (only LG knows why they aren't sending monitors to the UK...)

Expect that 3060Ti to last 12 months or so, before starting to struggle with the latest games at 1440p. I mean, it will already struggle on some of them. I might be pleasantly surprised but I'm not counting on this being the longest serving card I've ever had :p

Unless 2022 is even worse than 2021 for GPUs, hah. Could happen!

I am considering either a 6800xt, 6900xt or 3080 if I can get a fe. I wouldn't hey the 3080ti even Fe when the 3080 is the best price to performance. It's a shame you can't get the AMD MBA cards in UK

Soldato
It's been a hell of a year. The way things are, if you can get by with something then do that until things settle down.

3080 would be ideal, but don't go silly to get one. In fact, if things carry on as they are, by the time stock is plentiful the 4080 will be out.

You mention 3080ti, personally I'm avoiding that one. It offers so little extra for the money, save the difference for the next series.

Someone made a good point the other day. Get the best bang for your buck, and upgrade regularly (obviously when things settle down a bit)

Associate
Was that the sapphire nitro? Quite a good deal that one.

yes. i run a quiet PC also, so the lack of noise from this card was very welcome. i have mined on it in a very non serious way, but it has offset some of the outlay. were it not for this i would not have justified the price and just waited it out on older games/1060 6gb @1080p

Soldato
Another shout out for the 6700xt here. Fighter edition card doing a stellar job at 3440x1440

Been very few games I have had to drop settings on. My screen has freesync 75hz rating on it. That's no issue to reach

Associate
OP
It's been a hell of a year. The way things are, if you can get by with something then do that until things settle down.

3080 would be ideal, but don't go silly to get one. In fact, if things carry on as they are, by the time stock is plentiful the 4080 will be out.

You mention 3080ti, personally I'm avoiding that one. It offers so little extra for the money, save the difference for the next series.

Someone made a good point the other day. Get the best bang for your buck, and upgrade regularly (obviously when things settle down a bit)

Yeah i am not keen on the 3080ti as it's such a small uplift on a 3080 for such a big premium so also avoiding out of principle. If I can get a 3080fe or 6800xt for a reasonable price I will buy otherwise bide my time maybe. That being said I do know where to buy an xtxh 6900xt for £1300 new which is not greatly above MSRP so am considering it as none of the other lower tier cards are anywhere close

Associate
OP
Another shout out for the 6700xt here. Fighter edition card doing a stellar job at 3440x1440

Been very few games I have had to drop settings on. My screen has freesync 75hz rating on it. That's no issue to reach

If I could have got the £530 sapphire nitro that was a forum deal I probably would have bought but at £700+ now it's too much

Soldato
If I could have got the £530 sapphire nitro that was a forum deal I probably would have bought but at £700+ now it's too much

Agreed £700 is not good. You can find them for £650-690 if you look about. At the £530 they were brilliant price.

It's a shame that pricing is so shot away and inaccessible to most still :(. Was very lucky to get a straight swap with someone who was after an R7. Only reason I managed to upgrade.

Associate
OP
Agreed £700 is not good. You can find them for £650-690 if you look about. At the £530 they were brilliant price.

It's a shame that pricing is so shot away and inaccessible to most still :(. Was very lucky to get a straight swap with someone who was after an R7. Only reason I managed to upgrade.

Yeah I think £550 is the max I would go for one to be honest so may be a while. I think I realise there is a few options I could go for but it's a case of waiting for a good deal to pop up

Soldato
It depends on the FPS you're targeting. My 3440x1440 monitor is only 75 Hz which is plenty for me, not being an online competitive gamer. My 6900 XT is overkill for almost all games, getting way more than 75 FPS in all games with the exception of Cyberpunk which is at around 70 - 80 FPS. I actually play most games at 5120 x 2160 using VSR.

Associate
OP
It depends on the FPS you're targeting. My 3440x1440 monitor is only 75 Hz which is plenty for me, not being an online competitive gamer. My 6900 XT is overkill for almost all games, getting way more than 75 FPS in all games with the exception of Cyberpunk which is at around 70 - 80 FPS. I actually play most games at 5120 x 2160 using VSR.

It's a 144hz screen so as close to 144 as possible is ideal but can of course use freesync or gsync if below

Associate
OP
Running 6900XT here runs everything super. Dont have to scrimp on settings and unless its a RT game which you can do without anyway all settings are max and get really good framerates.

Yeah with it also being closest to it's MSRP outside of the FE drops I am seriously considering it. Don't think many games I play make use of RT or DLSS

Back
Top Bottom