My Mate's CV, do I say something?

Man of Honour
My mate and his partner (gay couple so you don't get confused) have both got to leave their jobs.
I've had years of giving advice on writing CVs and giving job interviews (not compared to some on here) and his partner asked for my help two weeks ago.
His partner came down with his CV which was done by 'experts' a few years ago and we just had to change a few things around however my mate said he'd done his.
Yesterday my mate said potential employers were having problems downloading his CV so he asked me if I could download it and this is what I found :eek: Do you think I should tell him why potential employers could be pretending not to be able to download it?
Forgot to mention that I thought he was asking for advice so I said I could download it but we need to work on the grammar a bit and he replied he was happy with it, just concerned people couldn't download it.

(I have changed some of the titles etc)

Summary

I believe that I offer value to any future employer, honesty,punctuality, literacy and numeracy are some of the returns.a full clean driving licence could also be of use to you.No absence or sick days.I am leaving wkr because they are moving to a 12 hour shift pattern,and at my age I don't want that.

Experience

PACKER AND WAREHOUSE OPERATIVE | 10/2018 - Current
wkr – fenton - stoke
Efficiently packaged electrical goods and other items, maintaining consistency to meet fulfilment deadlines.using computer,scanner printers etc to generate labels.Mentored new starters.

SPECIAL METER READER | 06/2005 - 09/2018
british gas - Stoke
Received time allocated appointments to read or check customers gas and electricity meters,liaising with the customer and the office to satisfy both

SANITARY CASTER | 11/1978 - 06/2005
edwards bathrooms – longton - Stoke
Manually casted toilets,basins,cysterns etc in plaster moulds and finished ready for spraying

Skills
I have no problems working alone as my time with british gas shows
and before and after at wkr as part of a bigger team.

Education
blurton high school – Stoke

Last edited:
Soldato
I find in these situations. Tell it straight dont mince words. Tell them its crap and what they need to do to fix it etc. Dont go well its ok but maybe x y and z. No pussyfooting

Soldato
At first I thought wkr was abbreviated for work (wrk) but just spelled wrongly.

What sort of jobs is he applying for? If he's adamant he's happy with it, then let him be and just say give us a shout in a few weeks if you've not heard anything back.

Soldato
For the jobs he should be applying for I really don't see the problem. If anything, spelling and grammar aside, the brevity is spot on.

Associate
all i can say is wow... aside from grammar etc, to make you stand out you'd at least be positive about everything and exclude anything you don't want.. but from what i can see, even if things have been edited out, i can't see any reason why i would hire this person over the next

Man of Honour
OP
I first met him on Quiz Nights, he is the bloke you want on your team, his knowledge is nearly in The Chasers territory and music questions he can't be beaten unless it's Rock/Metal based.
He's 60 so isn't looking for something amazing, he's seen a driving job he would like working for a Pharmacy and it could be his CV has put them off.

That looks like the very first draft of something when you just want to get a basic outline in place and fully intend to come back later, delete and rewrite each section in more detail and giving the correct amount of time to do so.

Honestly if a mate rewrite it as an example for him and show him that.

If I saw a CV like that I would definitely interview as I would assume they were someone being forced to apply for a job who really didn't want it. (I wouldn't give them a job though!)

Associate
The applicant does have a point, you don't need to be able to write business memos and reports for a shop floor packing job.

But anyone looking at that CV is going to bin it from the off unless they have time to waste.

He's doing himself no favours even sending it out.

Soldato
Yeah, you really need to say something. The "literacy" skills are speaking for themselves. Badly.

He's being honest about the 12 hour shift pattern being unacceptable, but needs to tone it down somehow.

Three jobs in 40 years shows he's at least loyal to an employer.

Soldato
This may be a bit of a Catch 22 situation if wkr do indeed stylise themselves as ‘wkr’. Anyway, perhaps you could say something along the lines of, “I couldn’t help but have a play…”?

Man of Honour
OP
The applicant does have a point, you don't need to be able to write business memos and reports for a shop floor packing job.

This may be a bit of a Catch 22 situation if wkr do indeed stylise themselves as ‘wkr’

I did say I had changed initials and even jobs so take them with a pinch of salt and 'wkr' are indeed capital letters like JCB (but not JCB).
I just needed your thoughts on the grammar and whether I should say something.
My wife tells me that his partner has already had definite offers and looking at his CV you can see why so I think I'll wait until he starts getting panicky and I'll suggest a change of CV.
I also don't think his other half has seen his CV.

Soldato
I did say I had changed initials and even jobs so take them with a pinch of salt and 'wkr' are indeed capital letters like JCB (but not JCB).
I just needed your thoughts on the grammar and whether I should say something.
My wife tells me that his partner has already had definite offers and looking at his CV you can see why so I think I'll wait until he starts getting panicky and I'll suggest a change of CV.
I also don't think his other half has seen his CV.
Why don't you just play dumb?

"It has opened but something weird has happened, the formatting is broken and some of the letters are missing - want me to fix it?"

The content itself is fine. He is a warehouse operative who packs boxes.

Man of Honour
OP
Why don't you just play dumb?

"It has opened but something weird has happened, the formatting is broken and some of the letters are missing - want me to fix it?"

Too late, when I downloaded it I thought he was asking for help so said "Yes it downloaded but some of the grammar needs sorting out".
He said he was happy with the grammar :(

Back
Top Bottom