Options to save on bills, Smart Thermostat do they work ?

Soldato
I'm looking for options on how to save on bills,
As the title says Smart Thermostat do they work? options to do everything from your mobile is good but do they help in other areas ?

any other options

Soldato
Wear a jumper, only turn the heating on when you need it.

Smart thermostats remove being lazy from the equation - i.e. you can make sure you aren't heating an empty house.

Soldato
Wear a jumper, only turn the heating on when you need it.

Smart thermostats remove being lazy from the equation - i.e. you can make sure you aren't heating an empty house.
Depends how smart. Mine does what is mostly not possible with a standard system. The cost of installation will take a fair amount of time to pay back though.

Best thing is to have it on as little as possible and wear warmer clothes for sure.

Soldato
There's a few things which can help such as the home/away assist, so heating wont come on if you're out. Overall I can't say they would save a fortune on heating bills though, most of that comes from how you set and use any thermostat.

Soldato
I'm not sure mine really saves money but I'm not cold as often as I was so SWIMBO happy.

I got a hive for central heating and hotwater a few years ago and self installed.
Not much different from wiring a plug, the switch unit just replaced the old timer controller.

Main advantage is I can set every day differently, so it matches up better than the previous Weekend / Weekday timer and is quite easy to change from the app, no standing in a cramped cuboard pressing buttons 10's of times.
Also as the remote can be fixed anywhere, I tried a few locations until I found the best one for consistant temperature feel (lack of cold spots)

Mostly it is now totally unobtrusive, never gets touched unless we need a hot water boost, I don't run much hot water until the evening.

Some more advanced devices can compensate for outdoor temp or automatically switch on and off tracking with mobiles.

I doubt most people bother manually switching it on and off, and I've usually turned the gas off for summer holidays so I can't even switch on on the way back.

Soldato
OP
Thanks I was thinking of google or tado,

I wanted to see if it could help improve things justifying the investment, not waiting years to make it worth buying.

for anyone who has them what kind of differences did you see and was it worth it?

Soldato
A smart thermostat is the only smart device I really think is worth having.

The Netatmo I have makes things more comfortable. It has an initial learning period where it learns how fast the house heats up and cools down. With that information, it does a very good job of compensating for warmer and cooler days. The heating comes on earlier or later to get the house to the set temperature at the set time. I'd guess that all do something similar, but no personal experience.

Soldato
I fitted a Hive system for the zone heating and the hot water which replaced a Honeywell controller and the terrible dial type thermostats. It was well worth it.

There were multiple benefits - those old round room thermostats are really inaccurate and seem to drift a few degrees (up and down) throughout the seasons. When anybody in the house (including me!) wanted the temperature up they turn the dial until it clicked and switched the heating on. This was like upping the temperature from 19c to 23c when all it needed was increasing it to say 20c. Then the house would get too warm and then they'd move the 'stat down until it clicked off, then the house got too cold....you get the picture. With digital and more accurate 'stat you can dial in (no pun intended) the ideal temperature for your house and use that to program the different times of day.

Talking of the programmer/controller, the old Honeywell unit was not ideally positioned and a pain to program and update so you were less likely to tweak the system to optimal. With systems like the Hive you can program it easily from your phone so you are more likely to configure it to suit. You'll soon find the optimal schedule and temperatures and then leave it alone, apart from the odd boost here and there.

I'd really like to fit smart thermostatic valves to each and every radiator (except one) for total control, to drop the temperature in rooms not in use. However it would cost a fortune (>£1,000) and some have a poor reputation so never bothered.

Soldato
OP
I dont I have every set up mu old unit, I did but it was a hassle I kept changing things so now it is fully manual.

What are the prices and which to choose, ive been thinking tado or google,

I have also thought of radiator controls but it will quickly add up. and im having thoughts on the main unit lol

Soldato
Smart thermostat add to the cost of my heating but I'd never go back.. Any time I feel cold it's so easy "alexa ask hive to boost heating",

You might save if you have been lazy and not tuned your current system as its so convinient to tweak the smart one

Soldato
I think if you can program a normal central heating system, you will save very little with a smart one imo. They do look nice and "smart" though. I say this as most people have a regular routine so I'm not sure what benefits the smart bit does (unless as the poster above says, it just removes the lazy aspect).

Soldato
I went with Evohome so I can control each room individually which is great, that had Definitely saved some money only heating say the livingroom on the evening then the babies bedroom at night.
It does opentherm as well so keeps rooms nice and constant and the boiler just ticking over rather than on and off.
Having 3x bigger radiators fitted helped as well rooms warm up in a couple of minutes and it's also ready for low heat heating in the future.

Caporegime
Have full tado.

Trvs, thermostat etc.
For my house Google nest is pointless (even though my assistant is Google)
The house is detached and has lots of windows. The thermostat is hard wired in the North east facing lobby downstairs (coldest room)

My office is in a south West facing room.

So the lobby gets coldest when my office is hottest.
This lead to the heating coming on when my room was 24c and going off when it's too cold.
Nest can't correct for this.

So went with tado. After discounting the others like hive.

I doubt it saves money. You need to change batteries, devices might fail. Outlay is expensive but it definitely helps with comfort. Go away... Heating turns off. Even for a day trip. It even gradually turns on as you come back.

Not been through a winter yet. But kind of glad I got it before the price rises

rNDvq88.jpg

You can see when the temp dips the heating fires up temp goes up, turns off.

My life is very zonal. Bedroom - study - kitchen - living room - bedroom.

That's a typical day. So no sense heating everywhere all the time. For instance. At the moment the schedule reads like below.

You can see the only room 'warm' is the study.

0Ujtnzk.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
="413x, post: 35073178, member: 93584"
This lead to the heating coming on when my room was 24c and going off when it's too cold.

I'm pretty sure you can use temperature "pucks" which can be placed in a room separate from the Nest thermostat and you can tell it to use this as the temp sensor.

Caporegime
I'm pretty sure you can use temperature "pucks" which can be placed in a room separate from the Nest thermostat and you can tell it to use this as the temp sensor.

But still, the heating has to be on or off through the whole house.

If the study was cold. All radiators would be on. If it was warm. All would be off. You'd have to have one in every room like tado. At that point I'm guessing might as well go for trv control?

Main benefit of tado is if the heating is on, it's only heating the room that needs it.

For reference the tado trvs cost 30-40 on average. Not sure on these Puck costs

Caporegime
I'm looking for options on how to save on bills,
As the title says Smart Thermostat do they work? options to do everything from your mobile is good but do they help in other areas ?

any other options

A smart Thermostat isn't designed to save you money. Or significant enough sums of.

A smart thermostat is designed to make you much more comfortable within your own home. it's a convenience product not a money saving one. I have owned one now for 5 years.

If you want to save on your utility bills here's a list of stuff that will help;

1. Go to screwfix and buy the cheapest LED light for every fitting in your home.
2. Stop heating up excessive amounts of water or air. This can be expanded upon by making sure you don't fill kettles more than is required. Fill washing machines to the brim. Dry clothes on racks or outside rather than in tumble dryer. Have quick 2-3 minute showers, dont have baths. Don't leave hot taps running. This list goes on and on for every item in your home designed to heat air or water. Use it the bare minimum possible.
3. Insulation. Insulation. Insulation. Insulate everything you can. Loft, tanks, under floor, roof, cladding, etc.

Now you could turn your thermostat down and wear more clothes. Personally I don't find that being uncomfortable and with a young baby in the house saving £5 a month is worth all the hassle this entails. I wear what I want and I have the thermostat on the correct temp for me.

If you have done all of the above and are still trying to save £5 here and there per month. I would suggest downsizing your home. Utilities for a 5 bedroom house vs a studio flat is where the biggest expense is. Therefore once you have optimised a home it becomes pointless trying to do any more as you are spending more than you are saving. You should just down size if you want to save money or buy a more modern home in the first place.

Soldato
Have full tado.

Trvs, thermostat etc.
For my house Google nest is pointless (even though my assistant is Google)
The house is detached and has lots of windows. The thermostat is hard wired in the North east facing lobby downstairs (coldest room)

My office is in a south West facing room.

So went with tado. After discounting the others like hive.

I doubt it saves money. You need to change batteries, devices might fail. Outlay is expensive but it definitely helps with comfort. Go away... Heating turns off. Even for a day trip. It even gradually turns on as you come back.

Not been through a winter yet. But kind of glad I got it before the price rises

rNDvq88.jpg

You can see when the temp dips the heating fires up temp goes up, turns off.

My life is very zonal. Bedroom - study - kitchen - living room - bedroom.

That's a typical day. So no sense heating everywhere all the time. For instance. At the moment the schedule reads like below.

You can see the only room 'warm' is the study.

0Ujtnzk.jpg

Above is a good synopsis.

Ive previously had hive (just a single zone) and now have tado (soon to be multi zone once I fit them)

I found it may save a bit of money as easy to change heating on times when you're out the house etc, but the more important thing is the significant increase in comfort.

Tado/hive offer individual TRVS so you can heat each individual room as per above. I think that has more opportunity to save /increase efficiency (heat you want in rooms you want) e.g. It's 2 people in my 4 bed detached house and might only need to heat 1/2 rooms + bathrooms.

Permabanned
wow i just set my heating to 19c house is fine ...in winter just throw another log on fire till bed ..heating comes on bout 3 am .. so house is warm all thru .. i find it's cheaper to heat a warm house than to warm a house up ..
what do you guys spend on your magic thermos ? cost me £800 a yr for gas and leccy and £300 for winter wood ..

Caporegime
wow i just set my heating to 19c house is fine ...in winter just throw another log on fire till bed ..heating comes on bout 3 am .. so house is warm all thru .. i find it's cheaper to heat a warm house than to warm a house up ..
what do you guys spend on your magic thermos ? cost me £800 a yr for gas and leccy and £300 for winter wood ..

About 250 for the tado system. Last year bills were about 1000 for the year. This year.. Well. I don't wanna know! :D

We don't have a fire! I did like having a fire in my parents house though

Caporegime

You would be wrong if you think it's cheaper to have a home heated all the time vs when you actually need it. Unless your home is inside a perfect vacuum. If it is could you please share how you managed this feat?

Why? Because physics. If you heat a home all the time. It's losing heat all the time. If you heat it when you need it, it only loses heat then. Sure it takes more energy to get it up to temp but you always lose more energy the hotter it is so keeping it hot means more energy lost overall. So it's better off just heating it when required.

You can google several articles which explain it in better detail.

Back
Top Bottom