Received a wrong text?

Soldato
Not counting errors from receiving texts from friends and relatives who selected the wrong person in their contacts. Talking texts from people you never contacted before.

I can think of two recently. One was a primary school in Brighton texting to say the balance for the residential is due on (date).

The other one was texted today from a owner of some holiday cottages near Swanage about she found a necklace in the communal car park and asking who does it belong to.

Both instances I googled the name of the school and holiday cottages to be nosy!

Soldato
I can't say i've ever had a incorrect text received. Get plenty of phone calls though!

I've had my mobile number for probably 10 - 15 yrs, a few years ago I discovered it's a reused number and I still even now get calls asking to speak to Jason, who I assume was the previous numbers owner. It's amazing how deeply buried some details get in databases that they still surface from time to time.

Caporegime
Had one a few days ago asking me about when they would receive a contract or along those lines and something about payment. I thought it was a scam but they were the ones who were sending the money so I explained that they had the wrong number and they apologised.

Nothing noteworthy. Was a genuine wrong number.

Man of Honour
I occasionally get a text from a Pizza shop in an area I have never been to, to let me know my order is ready for collection.

Can't type for toffee
Don
I received a text in Arabic from some dude in middle east (whatsApp). IIRC he was speaking to me assuming i was (one of) his wives.

And how long did you lead him on with promises? :p

Only a few over the years.

One asking me if it was still alright to have Monday off, to which I replied "Of course, no problem at all"

LMAO!!!

Imagine the MEeeting... "Why were you AWOL?", I wasn't you said I coudl have the day off! "that's not my number" :eek:

Caporegime
Best one ever wasn't a text but a wrong number years ago. I didnt have my mobile with me and when I came back to my phone I had several missed calls and messages from a number I didnt recognise.

Started off quite civilised. Something about something breaking down in the plant in the factory and he needed the guy to come out asap

Be the last phone it had got heated. The guy was ****** and blinding and saying it had now been 6 hours since he first made contact, the entire factory was stopped, nobody could work, he was losing thousands and thousands every hour it went unfixed. He finished off with an ultimatum that unless the guy turned up in the next hour he was sacked and the guy would make sure he never worked for anybody in the industry again they would be taking legal action to recover their loses.

I often wonder what that guy felt when he eventually discovered at some point he had been ringing the wrong number all day...................

Soldato
Only a few over the years.

One asking me if it was still alright to have Monday off, to which I replied "Of course, no problem at all"
:cry:

I had a friend with a "gold" email (one easily mistaken for others, a bit like if your landline is 4 of the same digits - you get taxi calls). It was a chap being done for inappropriate flirting at work - pal replied with "but she is just so fit".

Poor bloke. Probably accelerated the process for the employer though.

Soldato
Wasn't a text, it was a Whatsapp message.

A female friend of mine (at the time) had bought some lingerie & was modeling it. She meant to message her best-mate and ask her if it looked ok but accidently sent them to me.

I replied with 'Not meant for me I guess, but I approve'

That was just over 7 years ago, we've been married for 3 years now..

Associate
In my late teens, I worked in tech support for Sky TV at their Livingston call centre. One of the divert numbers from the DVLA's automated phone system was mistakenly inputted as one of ours. We were forever getting calls from people wanting to speak to the DVLA. Our phone system even told us it was DVLA before we answered the call. Some got the hint when you answered the phone, "Hello, Sky Television." Many did not.

On one such call, shortly before I left sky, was a guy wanting to know if he could drive again. I took a few details, pretended to type them into the computer, and replied, "Sure, your licence is in the post!"

Bit of a **** thing to do, not my proudest moment. But hopefully it was some scrote who deserved to get in more bother with the law.

Soldato
My mobile number is often used by people when filling out forms when they don't want to type a real number as it contains a lot of repeating digits.

One person seems to use it all over the place, and I get alerts from them for parcel deliveries. After a while I got a little bit frustrated with this, so I started redirecting their parcels to click and collect collection points as far away from the original delivery location as possible (something like a limit of a 15 mil radius) - after doing this a few times it never happened again.

Associate
My mobile number is often used by people when filling out forms when they don't want to type a real number as it contains a lot of repeating digits.

One person seems to use it all over the place, and I get alerts from them for parcel deliveries. After a while I got a little bit frustrated with this, so I started redirecting their parcels to click and collect collection points as far away from the original delivery location as possible (something like a limit of a 15 mil radius) - after doing this a few times it never happened again.

That's golden :D

At one of my old jobs i had a fresh new phone, but for some reason i'd get a call every week asking for some guy, it was the same name every time from various places. Quite unintresting, should have really played along to find out what it was all about.

Soldato
I had a phone call last week from a very irate restaurant owner in Glasgo absoultly doing his beans that I apparently hadn't turned up for my table of 6 and i was ruining his business as hes struggling to recover from Covid etc etc.

once he finished and i explained that im very sorry but even if i left the second i hang up the phone it would take me approximately 6.5 hours to get there as I lived in Essex and wouldn't make my reservation.

Caporegime
Wasn't a text, it was a Whatsapp message.

A female friend of mine (at the time) had bought some lingerie & was modeling it. She meant to message her best-mate and ask her if it looked ok but accidently sent them to me.

I replied with 'Not meant for me I guess, but I approve'

That was just over 7 years ago, we've been married for 3 years now..

And you still think that was an "accident" and believe her version? So naive :D

Back
Top Bottom