Do air purifiers remove dog farts?

Associate
Serious question.

We have two large dogs and despite trying various dog foods they still stink, it's getting worse as they age and I've had enough (the other half is totally nose-blind when it comes to the dogs but she's more attached to them than I). The smell of their rank air biscuits is filling the house with their putrid stench and along with their dog sweat it's the first thing I smell in the morning and the last when I go to bed. Considering their farts are only atomised dog poo we're breathing that **** in, literally.

Can anyone recommend an air purifier that can remove dog farts from a reasonable area? Would I need more than one for multiple rooms or would a larger one suffice?

Soldato
Yes, it would remove dog farts. Our dyson likes to out people and turn up when they do a fart, so i expect it would work for the dog.

Have you tried changing their diet first? I find dogs that eat kibble/processed foods often have foul guffs. We feed our dog a raw food diet and it doesn't smell half as bad. I mean ultimately it's still poo at the end of the day so it'll always smell, just smell a bit less bad.

Caporegime
It gets rid of pretty much all smells if it's Decent. You want one with not only particle filter but a gas filter.

Obviously gas filter, filters out gaseous smells.

Associate
OP
The dog food is a question for her really. Only dry dog food, she gets it delivered and it's not cheap but I know that doesn't always equate to quality. She's tried a lot of different types mainly for the dogs health and to reduce the fartage. One of the dogs has a penchant for eating deer poo in our field which is nigh impossible to stop.

My purifier doesn’t even wait for a fart, it just blasts up as soon the dog goes near it. Smelly little git.

:D I have visions of running one 24/7 then! If the purifier removed that odor'de kennel of dog sweat that would be a huge bonus.

I see that Amazon have a special on the Levoit 400S for £220, tempted by that. I won't pay over £500 for the Dyson.

Caporegime
The dog food is a question for her really. Only dry dog food, she gets it delivered and it's not cheap but I know that doesn't always equate to quality. She's tried a lot of different types mainly for the dogs health and to reduce the fartage. One of the dogs has a penchant for eating deer poo in our field which is nigh impossible to stop.

:D I have visions of running one 24/7 then! If the purifier removed that odor'de kennel of dog sweat that would be a huge bonus.

I see that Amazon have a special on the Levoit 400S for £220, tempted by that. I won't pay over £500 for the Dyson.

Levoit are crap and so are Dyson.

IKEA sell one for £50 but the gas filter is an additional £10.

However the top end Phillips models are best as the have an air quality sensor. But you need to spend £200-£300 on one of them.

I'd rather just have 2-4 IKEA ones and have one in every corner of the house.

Soldato

However the top end Phillips models are best as the have an air quality sensor. But you need to spend £200-£300 on one of them.

Can you fit both the particle filter and gas filter in the IKEA ones, or just one? Can't find info on that on their site, irritatingly.

Edit: Scratch that, it was under the 'Read more' bit - yes they can be combined:

Only to be used with FÖRNUFTIG air purifier. Can be used alone or together with FÖRNUFTIG filter for particle removal.

Associate
OP

Funnily enough I've heard the opposite, that Philip units are bad value (filters £££), unreliable and noisy but the Levoit are recommended. Hence asking here for real experiences and not anecdotal.

Some of these air purifier units are huge so considering multiple smaller units as Psycho suggested.

Soldato
I think they all ultimately do the same job some are just better value than others.

I'm sure the Dyson isn't the best value for money when compared to alternatives but we've been happy enough with it that we plan to get another.

Not so much about smells but they were a godsend when our hayfever started playing up. Worth it for the price for that alone

Soldato
It gets rid of pretty much all smells if it's Decent. You want one with not only particle filter but a gas filter.

Obviously gas filter, filters out gaseous smells.
I think this is very important to note, OP. Standard HEPA filters won't remove smells well, as smells are caused by molecules that are too small to be captured by standard HEPA filters, so you need filters specifically designed for gases. They're good for pollen etc. as they're 'big' particulates and can thus be easily captured, but VOCs are tiny tiny things.

Associate
OP
I think this is very important to note, OP. Standard HEPA filters won't remove smells well, as smells are caused by molecules that are too small to be captured by standard HEPA filters, so you need filters specifically designed for gases. They're good for pollen etc. as they're 'big' particulates and can thus be easily captured, but VOCs are tiny tiny things.

Thanks for the info, added the gases feature to the list.

Caporegime
I've owned a bluair, Phillips and IKEA.

The bluair was by far the best but it cost like £360 and filters were like £75 each.

The Phillips was great for auto mode as in it would turn off when not needed. But it didn't move as much air as the blunair again filters were ridiculous.

Remember filters should be changed every 6 months.

I sold both on eBay and albeit IKEA is worse. The cost of £50 and then £10 per filter. I'm willing to live with it. I have several of them.

I have real world experience of all three.

You need more of the IKEA units to do the same job but they are so much cheaper it works out better anyway.

I have 2 of them currently and probably going to get a third. Having one in the kitchen when cooking curries is great but I think we need two. They aren't as good as the bluair would literally need to be turned on for 5 mins and the whole place was like brand new again. The IKEA ones are weak but so cheap buying multiple isn't an issue.

Associate
OP
Cheers @Psycho Sonny, great info. I'll look in to the bluair units. Since you mentioned Philips the 3000i pops up a lot but there's two models (AC3033/30 and AC3259/60) with the former being better aesthetically but not sure which is the newer/better model. These are about £450 new with filters around £75. That would be the max I'd want to spend on this ****.

Caporegime
Cheers @Psycho Sonny, great info. I'll look in to the bluair units. Since you mentioned Philips the 3000i pops up a lot but there's two models (AC3033/30 and AC3259/60) with the former being better aesthetically but not sure which is the newer/better model. These are about £450 new with filters around £75. That would be the max I'd want to spend on this ****.

Yeah I had the former. It's a great unit but expensive and filters are also expensive. It has the best "smart" features though which is a plus point.

Buying multiple of them for me is out of the question and I require multiple units. One in the kitchen is great for cooking. One for each bedroom for the allergy sufferers or to minimise reactions to hayfever and help get rid of dust and pollutants.

These can do large areas unlike the IKEA units. They are really good for big open areas. I used the blu air in quite a large room probably 80m squared and it worked instantly and flawlessly. The Phillips I felt was a bit weaker than the blu air but much better for bedroom usage where it didn't need as much power anyway. It's night mode is fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom