Valve announces the SteamDeck

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
for someone like myself who loves tinkering with software i've never actually installed linux on any of my systems i did attempt afew years ago without success. I use my laptop for work along with gaming so it has to be pretty stable and reliable
I have done it several times over the years, but ultimately always gone back to Windows as it is just superior, especially for gaming.

Installing Linux is super easy, at least these days anyway. Just watch a dude on YouTube at the worst, can't go wrong then.

Associate
I have done it several times over the years, but ultimately always gone back to Windows as it is just superior, especially for gaming.

Installing Linux is super easy, at least these days anyway. Just watch a dude on YouTube at the worst, can't go wrong then.
oh this was quite afew years ago i can't recall what the problem was or even what yr/version

it was an old old laptop so perhaps that was the problem i do tend to save my old gadgets currently have 4 laptops of various descriptions and age just gathering dust so i might just do that at some point this autumn

Soldato
Linu

Linux is fine. infact its my daily driver for work.

i am a software engineer and pop OS linux is my money making operating system.

I too sometimes play games on it.

Even that scam called Star citizen works on it LOL

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
lol na on a serious note, when SC works, its probably the best game i have ever played in the last 5 years.

It will be worth the wait once it feature complete which i reckon will be in 4 years time.
Yea, I am waiting for SQ42 myself. But Chris Roberts is bit of a joker. He either lacks any organisational skills or is just taking his sweet time milking people. As long as we get SQ42 I will be happy :)

Soldato
I'd love to be able to switch permanently to Linux at home, as I use it at work already. I think some distros are pretty close to Windows' functionality but I feel like there is a bit more of a time investment if you really want to have full control and understanding of the system - like, you have a lot of control over every aspect but as a result that means it is possible to screw things up if you do the wrong thing (and you end up thinking ahhh I kind of wish this had a dumb-person's control panel with simplified options chosen by Microsofts designers). I imagine if you take the plunge and stick with it you soon learn it better and that aspect isn't so daunting

Soldato
I'd love to be able to switch permanently to Linux at home, as I use it at work already. I think some distros are pretty close to Windows' functionality but I feel like there is a bit more of a time investment if you really want to have full control and understanding of the system - like, you have a lot of control over every aspect but as a result that means it is possible to screw things up if you do the wrong thing (and you end up thinking ahhh I kind of wish this had a dumb-person's control panel with simplified options chosen by Microsofts designers). I imagine if you take the plunge and stick with it you soon learn it better and that aspect isn't so daunting
Once you know how to fix a bootloader, you are pretty much a pro at linux lol

Soldato
Once you know how to fix a bootloader, you are pretty much a pro at linux lol

I think I have had to do that before, but it's more than that too I think. Often times you want to fix or adjust something, can't quite work out how, go down a rabbithole of different suggestions/answers on forums or stack overflow or wherever and end up trying a bunch of things that don't work (but do make all sorts of adjustments to the system you don't really understand) and then by the time you do find a solution you're unsure how to undo the changes done by earlier attempts etc. and before you know it you have a pretty flaky system

Probably happens behind the scenes on Windows too, lord knows we must all be familiar with how messy a system gets when you haven't done a reinstall for a while. But it's at least more hidden away from you

Man of Honour

Nothing like accidentally hitting enter early and recursively force chmod with the wrong permissions from root :s fortunately most more recent distros I believe now give you a warning before allowing it.

Back
Top Bottom