Energy Suppliers

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Symbio still the cheapest here in Oxfordshire, wow at the massive rises though of late. Only approx 1y ago i was down near to 10p/unit. Near 50% in not much over a year seems totally mental.

Symbio Energy
Low Fair and Green Variable SE03 v23
Variable price
Unit rate
15.533p per kWh
Standing charge
21.000p per day

Soldato
I may not be able to go with Eon I don't have a smart meter will they install one or do I already need to have one ?

Eon Next Exclusive 2 Year v5 no exit fee
British Gas Complete Protection Aug 2023v2 is fixed for 2 years but you have a £80 exit fee

Seem to have

I'm on the variable tariff with British gas and they are still the cheapest. Looked at a few comparison sites last month and British gas were still competitive with my usage plus all the other companies have flaky customer reviews.
It could change, I was still on the cheapest plan till I had an email yesterday the price will be going up.

Soldato
They'll install the meters. If you're on a deal that requires them, they usually give you a few months to install them, if you don't they move you onto the variable tariff.

Soldato
There is also no reason not to get one so don’t worry about it. Just get the thing installed and get on with your life. It’s really not worth bellyaching over.

Soldato
Im thinking of going for Avro Energy fix only £80 more than Variable is it a good option ? or should I go for Eon Fix or Variable

They'll install the meters. If you're on a deal that requires them, they usually give you a few months to install them, if you don't they move you onto the variable tariff.
There is also no reason not to get one so don’t worry about it. Just get the thing installed and get on with your life. It’s really not worth bellyaching over.
Thanks I just wanted to confirm if I needed one before signing up.

Soldato
Thinking of doing the 2024 lock in with British gas. Normally I wouldn't as it has an exit fee. But it's 100 pounds. Which isn't too bad.

Just gonna have a look and see if this is a spike due to covid or the new norm
I've locked in with EDF until 2024. I was a bit hesitant and it could bite me in the ass but I've got a feeling prices won't be going down again any time soon.
Strange, I never thought I would be going with one of the 'big 6' ever again, I think this is the first time BG and EDF came out cheaper than the smaller ones on comparison sites for me.

Associate
I've locked in with EDF until 2024. I was a bit hesitant and it could bite me in the ass but I've got a feeling prices won't be going down again any time soon.
Strange, I never thought I would be going with one of the 'big 6' ever again, I think this is the first time BG and EDF came out cheaper than the smaller ones on comparison sites for me.

EDF 3 Year coming out cheapest Fixed for me at the moment too and due for renewal at the end of the month. Realistically Gas prices are only going to go one way surely? Looking at the tariff i'm leaving and gas was almost half the price per unit 2 years ago!

Tariff is going up by £40 a month.

Half considering going onto Bulb flexible tariff which is £20 a month cheaper? But not had any experience of them or not been on a variable tariff for a fair while.

Soldato
Turns out half of the plans on the comparison sites dont even come up on the suppliers site, im not sure I could get them so now Ill need to check each manually to see if I can get them or cross them off, Im going to be busy tomorrow:(.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Just got the email from Green to say the prices are going up.

My fix with them ends on the 22nd of Oct, so according to Ofgem I can switch without penalty when within 49 days of contract end, so technically this Friday. Time to get the spreadsheets fired up.

- edit already done a fair bit of shopping around, the savings to be made by fixing seem tiny for me - and a fair chunk of others even worse than green's imminent variable rates. I may be better off simply just holding tight and seeing if it starts to go up even more (surely not; with the reasons they have all quoted for the increases the next steps are surely recovery rather than it worsening?!). I suspect I'm very very wrong, but tempted to take the chance.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm currently looking for a new deal I'm with e-on at the moment but there just isn't savings to be made. Does anyone have any refferal codes? For companies like bulb, octopus etc. I don't mind the variable tariffs as they are very slightly cheaper then the fixed deals.

Soldato
I can't find anything about tariffs for Green. anymore in my account. Can't even ask any question about tariffs to their bot as they don't have it as an option, and you don't get a free text question box any more with the bot.

They appear to have made it so I'm stuck with the variable Palm Tree. Anyone else trying to change tariff with Green, or at least compare what they offer?

Edit: looks like the free text query is only an option in the mobile app, not online.

Man of Honour
My deal with Green runs out on 30th October and they have just sent me a email of their price increases to the variable rate which I will be dumped on if I don't move. The new rates are crazy expensive and the standing charges are ridiculous, from 1st October their variable rate charges will be:-

Electricity - 20.83p per kwh, 27.39p per day standing charge. Currently on the Sturgeon tariff at 14.0430p per kwh, 17.14p per day standing charge.
Gas - 4.01p per kwh, 26.12p per day standing charge. Currently on the Sturgeon tariff at 2.6680p per kwh, 17.14p per day standing charge.

Those are some pretty massive increases, not that I will be sticking with them. The cheapest deal for me right now on MSE is already £178 more expensive per year and that's before the 1st October price hikes. It also looks like stupidly high standing charge rates are commonplace now. I hope this isn't going to be a cold winter.

Soldato
I can't find anything about tariffs for Green. anymore in my account. Can't even ask any question about tariffs to their bot as they don't have it as an option, and you don't get a free text question box any more with the bot.

They appear to have made it so I'm stuck with the variable Palm Tree. Anyone else trying to change tariff with Green, or at least compare what they offer?

Edit: looks like the free text query is only an option in the mobile app, not online.
My deal with Green runs out on 30th October and they have just sent me a email of their price increases to the variable rate which I will be dumped on if I don't move. The new rates are crazy expensive and the standing charges are ridiculous, from 1st October their variable rate charges will be:-

Electricity - 20.83p per kwh, 27.39p per day standing charge. Currently on the Sturgeon tariff at 14.0430p per kwh, 17.14p per day standing charge.
Gas - 4.01p per kwh, 26.12p per day standing charge. Currently on the Sturgeon tariff at 2.6680p per kwh, 17.14p per day standing charge.

Those are some pretty massive increases, not that I will be sticking with them. The cheapest deal for me right now on MSE is already £178 more expensive per year and that's before the 1st October price hikes. It also looks like stupidly high standing charge rates are commonplace now. I hope this isn't going to be a cold winter.
im in the same boat, Had a look at some comparison sites but turns out half of them are not available so I need to do it manually.

Caporegime
EDF have offered me 75 credit for one of thier plans.

But again electricity is 20p kwh and 24p standing.
I'm not so fussed about standing. It's the unit cost that's gonna kill.

2 people full time WFH standing charges are insignificant

20p seems like cheapest give or take

Octopus. Fractionally more expensive

Think I might take that EDF deal. Doubt anything is going to get cheaper any time soon

Last edited:
Soldato
Just going down my list of options

Ebico - Price have changed on the website

Igloo - Ive just been on the phone with igloos and have been told price will be going up again this month and maybe October but they did not give me any information. so any prices shown will change once you join.

Avro energy - I have checked the website and its showing a newer more expensive plan than the compare sites, I tried to call but they cut me off after a few mins.

going by this logic others will also change.

So my choices have come down to Avro energy or big 6.

ended up going with
Avro energy Simple and Fix12M
fingers crossed I don't have any issues or need to call them otherwise im buggered.

Caporegime
Just going down my list of options

Ebico - Price have changed on the website

Igloo - Ive just been on the phone with igloos and have been told price will be going up again this month and maybe October but they did not give me any information. so any prices shown will change once you join.

Avro energy - I have checked the website and its showing a newer more expensive plan than the compare sites, I tried to call but they cut me off after a few mins.

going by this logic others will also change.

So my choices have come down to Avro energy or big 6.

ended up going with
Avro energy Simple and Fix12M
fingers crossed I don't have any issues or need to call them otherwise im buggered.

I'm not sure if they stack. But just found EDF have 120 cashback (quidco) on 2 year fix. And 75 credit?
There is a 30 pound exit fee. But cash back would Cover that.

My unit cost was 21p for electricity. So 1p more than cheapest.
I'm guessing the 200 cash would cover that.

Back
Top Bottom