Geronimo the alpaca killed as legal row ends

Caporegime
"Official data shows that incidents of bovine TB increased dramatically in areas of Gloucestershire despite the badger cull."

https://fullfact.org/environment/does-badger-culling-work/

Not so straight forward as you say.
Yeah the trouble is they have no idea how it's transmitted. They believe badgers may be involved in up to 50% of infections in cattle, but think only 5% is caused by direct contact between badgers and cattle. And it's known that transmission happens the other direction as well.

The actual method(s) of transmission are very, very poorly understood even today. They cull badgers simply because they can carry the disease, and the effectiveness of these culls is not proven. It never has been proven.

Soldato
Simple facts are, the Alpaca has BTB following 2 tests. The owner doesnt want to lose her pet because she's being selfish which is understandable as its her pet. However....... she cries to the BBC to make a story about it, wastes the courts time twice and taxpayers money because she doesn't want to give up her pet. Rather than biting the bullet and getting it euthanised on her own terms she made a media circus of it hoping media pressue would make defra back down and she lost. Finally defra has done what they should and had to go in force with the fuzz because of the media circus she stirred up.

Simple fact is she put cattle herds and therefore humans at risk of TB so she was being incredibly short sighted and selfish.

Yep pretty much this.

It's a terrible ordeal either way, but do understand the reason the animal had to be destroyed.

Soldato
The thing I was shocked with was this made the top story on the local news here.

Is this the most important story in the South West!?

Soldato
Simple facts are, the Alpaca has BTB following 2 tests. The owner doesnt want to lose her pet because she's being selfish which is understandable as its her pet. However....... she cries to the BBC to make a story about it, wastes the courts time twice and taxpayers money because she doesn't want to give up her pet. Rather than biting the bullet and getting it euthanised on her own terms she made a media circus of it hoping media pressue would make defra back down and she lost. Finally defra has done what they should and had to go in force with the fuzz because of the media circus she stirred up.

Simple fact is she put cattle herds and therefore humans at risk of TB so she was being incredibly short sighted and selfish.

The whole farce was created by the lady herself, and was very hard for the authorities to deal with as a result. The animal could have been destroyed/removed from the farm in a much more humane/quick/safe way had she not rallied the unwashed mob/nutters to block the way, and gone about every possible way of trying to block the sensible (but sad) destruction of an infected animal.
Agree with the above, however there are a few points not touched on.

The alpaca had been fully vaccinated as per requirements, and had lived amongst all the other animals on the farm for years and none had been infected, and none had tested positive.

I believe her argument was that the positive tests were due to antibodies in his system from the vaccinations, and that if he was indeed infected then would have inadvertently passed it on to the other animals which he did not, which to be fair he probably would have.

Of course one can point out that if he had positive tests due to antibodies then it could be argued that the other alpacas would also show positive results from theirs.

I can understand her stance but sadly it was always going to be the losing one, one she should have given up and accepted a long time ago for the sake of her pet.

Soldato
I'm wondering how the "pet" label came about for a stud animal on a farm.

The "voluntary" TB test probably came about because of his professional role. No one with a brain is about to pay to bring their female alpacas for breeding with an untested animal.

But without commercial reasons to demonstrate you have TB free animals you could in theory have a TB carrying pet alpaca in blissful ignorance.

Soldato
Well the post mortem results are in and I have to say, it’s not particularly convincing.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/culture-results-for-geronimo-the-alpaca

The way I read that link is that they can't tell exactly which strain of TB the animal had in order to trace where it came from: not that that it was free of TB.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in ... but my memory from Biology is that once the host is dead, anything infecting it tends to die off pretty quickly too. It will depend on how quickly after death the post-mortem was performed for those samples to have been taken.

Soldato
He did the same when accusing Energize of being a Guardian reader just yesterday. It's the typical low energy thinking of a certain section of society who have got sucked hook line and sinker into this fake culture war where anyone who disagrees with them are "a lefty"

200sols - just the same as when Roar87 accused you of being a lefty who is dangerous to, and hates, this country just because you disagreed with him :cry:

Caporegime
Exactly, nobody cares apart from guardian readers who think that all animals and even flies in **** have equal rights to humans, newsflash for those people, they don't.
most animals have complex feelings and behaviour which shows intelligence.

go look on youtube at the birds starting cat fights and tell me they didn't plan it out knowing exactly what would happen.

monkeys are smart no? nearly every other animal shows the same behaviours if you watch them enough.

how many humans do you think would have the smarts to throw stones down a well to make the water level rise

Soldato
most animals have complex feelings and behaviour which shows intelligence.

go look on youtube at the birds starting cat fights and tell me they didn't plan it out knowing exactly what would happen.

monkeys are smart no? nearly every other animal shows the same behaviours if you watch them enough.

how many humans do you think would have the smarts to throw stones down a well to make the water level rise
I didn't say at any point that animals don't have a level of intelligence, but some crazies are treating this as if a human has been killed, which is clearly over the top and ridiculous.

Caporegime
I didn't say at any point that animals don't have a level of intelligence, but some crazies are treating this as if a human has been killed, which is clearly over the top and ridiculous.
you can have an attachment as strong as you do with a human though.

it's like killing a member of your family surely

Back
Top Bottom