• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3090 temperature concerns

Associate
and how would tax man know about your mining?
Pretty sure that most regulated exchange's books are either already open to HMRC, or HMRC are in the process of requesting (demanding) that their records are a available for inspection... personally I don't fancy a backdated plus interest tax bill 10 years down the line...

Soldato
Pretty sure that most regulated exchange's books are either already open to HMRC, or HMRC are in the process of requesting (demanding) that their records are a available for inspection... personally I don't fancy a backdated plus interest tax bill 10 years down the line...

ah then it's time to get out. The whole point of crypto was to get away from the banks and away from governments

Soldato
I recently changed the thermal pads out on my RTX 3090 FE as it would heat up to 104 degrees on my memory while mining for a short while. But my card runs at 102 degrees on the memory now so it didn’t make much of a difference.

Could it be because my gpu is so close to my cpu cooler that there isn’t enough airflow to cool the memory chips? The only other thing I can think of is that I used my fingers to place the thermal pads and apparently that effects performance.

The idle temperatures seem to have improved 31 degrees on the core and 40 on the memory.

You didn't apply the thermal pads properly, or used the wrong ones, if your still reaching 102DC on the VRAM.

Last edited:
Associate
My 3090 was throttling at 110 degC memory junction temp, limiting me to 105MH/s.. replaced all the thermal pads and now sitting about 96 degrees at 124MH/s.
My current concern it UK Income Tax... UK HMRC treats mining as in income (CRPYTO21150 on the UK Gov Website), therefore anyone mining in the UK is liable to Income Tax on the value of any mined crypto, PLUS capital gains tax on anything they make over the initial mined value when they sell it. Madness... Offsetting the cost of electricity and hardware might be possible, but you'd need to show that those costs were 100% attributed to the mining (and not gaming etc..).

I think they say that you cannot offset those costs.

Anyway, I suggest that it's my son who is mining. And he can make about 12K before he's income taxed. ;)

Associate
ah then it's time to get out. The whole point of crypto was to get away from the banks and away from governments

Agree on this. And miners can still be anonymous today. Of course, if miners choose to convert tokens back into a standard currency, then they are subject to standard currency rules and taxation. But the Hodlers are not worried about this. They hold until the day everyone buys and sells in crypto.

Associate
OP
You didn't apply the thermal pads properly, or used the wrong ones, if your still reaching 102DC on the VRAM.

Out of the box, my 3090FE reached 110DC in games at 4k, after long enough. After replacing thermal pads (1.5mm Gelid Extreme on front GPU side, 1.5mm Thermalright Odyssey Extreme on backplate side) my temps reach a maximum of 96DC at 4k full load workloads.

But the idle temperature is better, close to room temp so I feel it's moving the heat good enough.

Associate
oooh look - the younguns of today pleased with themselves producing absolutely nothing except a shed tonne of C02 - same ones moaning about the planet. Only people laughing are the folk who invented it as they made 1,000's of coins a day and everyone else through C02 use just made them very rich - the digital pyramid scheme - YAY!
its not like power plants are running overtime to keep up with the mining craze... that CO2 would be created regardless.

Associate
Try applying some pressure underneath the card. The following props dropped my mining temps by nearly 20c, stock pads.

You can test what results you’d get just by pressing with your finger.

0-E0-CA93-E-BF12-40-B0-8-F35-8423-A7095512.jpg

Associate
Ah I see!
If he actually has a 3090 FE and doing that has actually raised his VRAM temps by 10c then I’d really like to know. It could indicate a big disparity between the cards in regards to the contact the VRAM has against their pads.

Associate
Yes , obviously Sarge has all the Top end cards in his home. He actually has a 3090FE and it increased the temps by 10c that's why I'm so annoyed and want him to be banned.

If your card is working normally, I would advise against it, as it will increase your temps

My card was running 96c max, thank goodness .

cant make sense of you

Also if you had actually tried it you would have realised it wasn’t actually hot at all.

Do you want OP banned as well? They’ve essentially suggested the same thing.

Honestly, I think you’re being dishonest.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes , obviously Sarge has all the Top end cards in his home. He actually has a 3090FE and it increased the temps by 10c that's why I'm so annoyed and want him to be banned.

If your card is working normally, I would advise against it, as it will increase your temps

My card was running 96c max, but now spolied

Can you show the cards you actually have, not once you have proved any card you own and just make up random facts.

Can we have a picture with your name next to the cards. So far we don't believe you own anything and just trolling on these forums since day one.

Prove it or keep quiet.

Back
Top Bottom