German Doner Kebab

Associate
OP
This one near my work. Pictures don't make it look very good IMO.
Promo photos look okay but real life photos look below average. Salad especially looks all brown like last week's salad. Not what I expected after reading this thread. People just buy into the marketing it seems.

German Doner Kebab
0161 676 3366
https://maps.app.goo.gl/YAXxg8PF1BxCaBEa8

Must be a rubbish franchise.

Soldato
Yeah, it's definitely that, not that random crap phone photos on Google Reviews is a rubbish way to judge some food.
Makes sense, just those two places out of leads are the only two that have poor photos of the food. Seems legit. Or its overhyped for average food and you'll get better at loads of independent places.

Soldato
Makes sense, just those two places out of leads are the only two that have poor photos of the food. Seems legit. Or its overhyped for average food and you'll get better at loads of independent places.

Maybe you could even try it yourself, then you'd actually know whether it's any good or not.

Though i've no doubt that now your colours are pinned to the mast off the back of the conclusive Google Review phone photo assessment, even if it was the best kebab you'd ever had you'd come back here and confirm it was indeed crap and overhyped.

Soldato
It makes more sense from that perspective. Some are describing it like it's the best kebab they've ever eaten.
Can't beat a nice lamb kebab cooked on a Turkish grill.

Well to be fair, if all you’ve ever eaten is crappy takeaway kebabs then it probably is by far the best kebab you will have eaten ;)

Associate
OP
Just got back from a trip to Green Lanes. The kebabs there **** all over any takeaway kebab place, including GDK.

Think you are comparing Apples with Pears my friend.

A Local Kabab shop experience is a totally different market than what the GDK are looking to move into.

Don
Think you are comparing Apples with Pears my friend.

A Local Kabab shop experience is a totally different market than what the GDK are looking to move into.
I was comparing kebabs, not fruit and veg ;)

And I know GDK are trying to be the McDonalds of kebabs but like McDonalds, the quality of their offering is pretty poor. You won't find many people suggesting McDonalds burgers are the best they've ever had though. We all know they're average at best but because of the price they're great value. I suspect most of the praise GDK are getting is because most peoples kebab experiences are limited to equally poor (if not worse) kebabs from your typical takeaway kebab house. Decent kebabs, particularly doner kebabs are few and far between in the UK but there's an abundance of them in north London and I suspect if anybody tried one of these, GDK would suddenly seem like a basic McDonalds burger but at the same price as a gourmet burger.

Associate
OP
I was comparing kebabs, not fruit and veg ;)

And I know GDK are trying to be the McDonalds of kebabs but like McDonalds, the quality of their offering is pretty poor. You won't find many people suggesting McDonalds burgers are the best they've ever had though. We all know they're average at best but because of the price they're great value. I suspect most of the praise GDK are getting is because most peoples kebab experiences are limited to equally poor (if not worse) kebabs from your typical takeaway kebab house. Decent kebabs, particularly doner kebabs are few and far between in the UK but there's an abundance of them in north London and I suspect if anybody tried one of these, GDK would suddenly seem like a basic McDonalds burger but at the same price as a gourmet burger.

"was comparing kebabs, not fruit and veg ;)" Touché:cry: nice come back .

Fair comment I agree with you.

Soldato
I tried to buy one but there was a 20 min wait and I didn’t have the time. There were about a million ubereats drivers there handling about 50 million orders. It was lunch hour, in fairness.

I was also surprised to see a lack of shish offerings.

Soldato
Had one the other day, it was OK but much prefer a mixed doner or chicken shish from the local kebab house. I couldn't see any shish on the GDK menu either. I probably won't get one again to be honest, was expecting to be blown away judging by how ppl big GDK up, I was pretty underwhelmed.

Soldato
Decent kebabs, particularly doner kebabs are few and far between in the UK but there's an abundance of them in north London and I suspect if anybody tried one of these, GDK would suddenly seem like a basic McDonalds burger but at the same price as a gourmet burger.
Having tried quite a few in the Persian restaurants frequented by my Iranian and Turkish friends and their ethnic communities in London, I would say GDK is somewhere in the middle.
However, it's also important to note that it's a German doner kebab - It's not trying to be the same as those from other cultures, so it's not as useful a comparison. Might as well judge KFC by the periperi standards of Nandos.

Soldato
It's also worth noting that the quality of GDK varies massively between different branches! My local one is fantastic but I have had some pretty bad ones from other locations.

Soldato
It's also worth noting that the quality of GDK varies massively between different branches! My local one is fantastic but I have had some pretty bad ones from other locations.
Could be a good sign. McDonalds is the exact same wherever you go, because it's been so processed in order to standardise your "experience"......

Back
Top Bottom