Anyone gone from Ultrawide back to 16:9?

Soldato
Hi,

I'm a long time ultrawide user, having had the Dell UW3415 since release, and have now that and a BenQ EX3501 as a primary and the dell as a secondary. I do like ultrawide, but I feel the market has stagnated.

I'm looking to potentially switch out to 2 32" screens, waiting for thew new crop of IPS, 120Hz+ 4k screens to release later this year. Just interested to hear from anyone who has switched from Ultrawide back to 16:9 and their thoughts?

Add. I have considered the 38" ultrawide screens but might be a little big. I have also considered some the of the 42/43" screens and again thing they would be too big.

Soldato
I've been down the UW path and back to 16:9 more than once and I really love UW. Problem is the selection of proper panels is small and way to expensive. A perfect fit for me would be one of the 3840x1600 UWs... but they cost more than a CX Oled which makes NO sense.

It's always annoying loosing that extra width but if it somewhat offset I feel if you get something big like a 32" 16:9 which is what i'm running atm.

Last edited:
Associate
I’ve gone from stacked ultrawides (49” + 34”) to a single 28” 4K panel, mainly to simplify my setup.

I think the 38” would be good for my usage but I’ll wait until we get some that equal 2x4K

Soldato
OP
I've been down the UW path and back to 16:9 more than once and I really love UW. Problem is the selection of proper panels is small and way to expensive. A perfect fit for me would be one of the 3840x1600 UWs... but they cost more than a CX Oled which makes NO sense.

It's always annoying loosing that extra width but if it somewhat offset I feel if you get something big like a 32" 16:9 which is what i'm running atm.

To be honest, even a 16:9 32" with decent specs/hdr is going to run ~£1000 - so value for money wise it's a hard sell compared to some of the OLED TV's or even something like the Aorus FV43U.

Soldato
To be honest, even a 16:9 32" with decent specs/hdr is going to run ~£1000 - so value for money wise it's a hard sell compared to some of the OLED TV's or even something like the Aorus FV43U.
But if you don't have a super healthy budget and can get by with a "passable" (read perfectly good if you don't go and watch a load of videos comparing with OLED/top end IPS panels) monitor, then you can still get a 16:9 32" 1440p 144Hz for 300 quid rather than 1000.

Soldato
Well I'm running a 32" 1440p 75hz IPS from AOC, so a cheapo model, which is surprisingly good for the money. If you can get one of the newer revisions of the Sammy g7 32" without the scanline issue then you are also set for a pretty good gaming experience considering the recent price drop. The new 32" 1440p high refresh rate IPS monitors however, are a joke price wise.

Transmission breaker
Don
I have verticaly stacked a UW 34 Iiyama g-master on top of a 27 1080 Iiyama g-master

I love the UW for working/using as general workspace, and to run video/TV full-screen whilst I work/do things on the other screen. (including gaming)

I really like the screen estate. I moved away from a 6 1080 screen setup to this, and don't feel like I really lost our on any usability. I don't see me moving away from the UW in the near future.

Soldato
OP
But if you don't have a super healthy budget and can get by with a "passable" (read perfectly good if you don't go and watch a load of videos comparing with OLED/top end IPS panels) monitor, then you can still get a 16:9 32" 1440p 144Hz for 300 quid rather than 1000.

I’m only looking at 4K 16:9 screens for comparison though, 1440p I’ll be ‘losing’ some screen real estate hence why I’m only looking at 4K.

Soldato
I currently have a 34" UW which I really like but think I might go back to a 32" 4k monitor in future when my current monitor needs replacing.

Guess It'll depend on the pricing and tech offered by each panel at he time though.

Associate
I tried ultra wide not so long ago but I just couldn’t get used to softer image quality with the screen. Went back to my C9.

When manufacturers decide to make 4K ultra wide then I might venture back it. Anyone know if and when that will be?

Associate
I have gone from a 34' UW to a 27' 4k this week, mainly because dau is taking the UW to uni . I must say, I prefer it, but my tastes have changed, I really don't game anymore and the higher PPI really suits me.

Associate
Went from 34" ultrawide to a 48" LG C1 4K and loving it. Took a while to get used to it but I also have the option for custom resolutions for ultrawide on this TV. It scales so well and the borders are jet black so you don't even notice them.

Associate
I've been thinking about the ultra wides for a while, maybe the Samsung g9 49", but I find the vertical res too low. Its half of 5k, I'd be more tempted if it filled more of my vertical view, perhaps 3/4 height rather than 1/2 height.
I've currently got 2 4k 32" LG screens that work paid for, so they're only 60Hz.

Associate
I was using a 35" UW, then a 28" 4k, then a 32" 4k, now back to a 35" UW. I really like UW format for both gaming and work.

It's really the limited choice in panels in the mid-range UWs that I find disappointing -- most are VAs with mediocre color accuracy and ghosting. On the other hand, 32" 4k with high refresh is a small fortune. If someone came out with a reasonably-priced 38" UW IPS 3840x1600 120hz I'd be first in line.

Associate
I use an 48 OLED mainly for console gaming and a 38 for PC gaming. I sometimes use the 48 OLED for pc gaming but find the 4k resolution a bit restrictive sometimes for some games. So best of both worlds here. Had a 43 Monitor and that was just too uncomfortable as a main screen.

Back
Top Bottom