*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Don
What difference does it make? The world runs on VMs.
I have no idea :confused:

Although you'll certainly gain in the long run with a 1GB ssd NVME? :confused:

I am using Win11 on REAL pcs's and tbh it's pretty slick, further more if you have a good gaming machine with good quality gfx and at least 1GB ssd NVME you are sure to gain in the long run.

Don
Was hoping just to get a brief summary from a few who have tried it out rather than read the entire discussion about it.

It's Windows 10 with a typically Microsoft effort to try and make the UI more like a Mac (but obviously much worse).

The new UI appears just to be some kind of overlay that actually "sits on top" of the existing taskbar/start menu (witnessed when it it crashes the old one is visible) - architecturally a huge botch, rather than being properly integrated.

It still has LOTS of very minor visual inconsistencies (e.g. in places there are old style dialogues and design language - some dating back to Windows 3.1/95/XP/7), and it's unlikely the majority will be fixed.

Even daft technical things like the Start Menu's rounded corners not being drawn via a standard Windows API (noticeable as when run in a VM the start menu is rounded, but standard windows aren't if hardware acceleration isn't available)

While bits of it are better e.g. the Settings App is a huge step forward over 10, they're only an improvement given how bad 10's was (given that Control Panel was absolutely fine on Windows 7 and earlier)

The "start" icon location is also a terrible design idea - it moves depending on running apps, so you can't guarantee where it will be to click on it.

Soldato
Oh man that doesn't sound great so far @Armageus. Thank you for letting me know. Has it been running programs reliably? I'm depending on my CAD software to make a living so I wouldn't want to risk it crashing constantly.

I think I know the answer really. Although I'd like to see what Win11 is like, I shouldn't really risk software reliability for the novelty of trying it out early.

Permabanned
If you have programs you rely on I wouldn't bother without testing it somehow. However I have been using it daily for several weeks on work and gaming boot drives without issue. For work I use a lot of programming tools and it's been fine.

If you think of it just as a refreshed w10 it's pretty good. I have no real issues with the changes.

Soldato
If you have programs you rely on I wouldn't bother without testing it somehow. However I have been using it daily for several weeks on work and gaming boot drives without issue. For work I use a lot of programming tools and it's been fine.

If you think of it just as a refreshed w10 it's pretty good. I have no real issues with the changes.

My biggest gripe with Win10 is only a QoL issue. When I leave the computer locked and return after a short while, I log in and all programs are on one screen.

I was only really going to upgrade to Win11 to satisfy my curiosity and hope that this dual monitor problem would be solved.

Thanks for the responses, I think I'll leave the upgrade for now and just keep an eye on this thread.

Permabanned
My biggest gripe with Win10 is only a QoL issue. When I leave the computer locked and return after a short while, I log in and all programs are on one screen.

I was only really going to upgrade to Win11 to satisfy my curiosity and hope that this dual monitor problem would be solved.

Thanks for the responses, I think I'll leave the upgrade for now and just keep an eye on this thread.

I have two screens and they appear where I left them, if I recall correctly this was also fine on Win 10. :confused:

Soldato
A very specific question: does the Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS work on Windows 11? It requires a DLL that must be run using Windows Vista compatibility - and needs admin rights too - so if it doesn't work I will need to block Windows 11.

Soldato
Right. Im reading some conflicting release info. Will Windows 11 be about for a FRESH install on my PC? Or will "existing" PCs need to wait until 2022?? :eek::mad:

Man of Honour

Yeah being able to install the OS without that support will only become less and less useful despite what some have been saying earlier in the thread.

I find it amusing how some of the MS security people are making such a big deal about it though - any existing variant of TPM has been weakened probably won't stand up in the longer run - IMO this is more than just about end user security and not a good direction.

In fact if anything blocking cheating in games using it will only hasten how quickly it gets broken given the vast amount of resources sadly which are chucked at developing game cheats :(

Back
Top Bottom