Insurance question does driving to university count as commuting?

Man of Honour
In general I would expect commuting to not include travel to university (unless that is actually your place of work rather than being a student). When I was recently looking at motorbike insurance I checked and my policy states "excluding commuting to a place of work". But I doubt there will be a specific legal definition and it will be down to each insurer to lay it out in their policy document what commuting consists of. I suggest getting a few quotes and then either phoning the company or checking whether their policy booklet is online.

Soldato
Or potentially a PHD student if you are funded by the Uni.
PhD students are usually paid a stipend classified as a non-repayable grant. I think it might come down to lawyers whether that can be defined as 'work' given they're technically there to learn, not to work as employees.

Soldato
Ask your insurance company and if you're particularly worried, get it confirmed in writing (i.e. an email or something).

Their opinion is the only opinion that's going to matter to you if you end up in a claim situation whilst driving to uni.

Caporegime
PhD students are usually paid a stipend classified as a non-repayable grant. I think it might come down to lawyers whether that can be defined as 'work' given they're technically there to learn, not to work as employees.

Probably a grey area. I know my partner has to do a certain amount of interaction with students as part of her stipend and be on campus for certain things. If it wasnt for that she would never have to go the University during her three years doing the PHD.

Soldato
So ask the insurer directly.

Ring up and ask? I'd say if commuting is a place of work, and your a student you're not working:D, assuming you're not a lecturer.

Ask your insurance company and if you're particularly worried, get it confirmed in writing (i.e. an email or something).

Their opinion is the only opinion that's going to matter to you if you end up in a claim situation whilst driving to uni.

Another vote for asking your insurer if there’s any doubt.

Soldato
Things like this really need to be asked of the insurer, if you have a prang and your insurance say you aren't covered going back with "Everyone on OCUK forum think differently" isn't going to carry any weight with them so just ring the insurance company and have it cleared up with one quick conversation.

Don
I think your safe to assume it's part of "commuting", otherwise there is no option for students to be insured (and I've never heard of anyone being declined a payout on that basis), but you can always clarify with your insurer.

Soldato
An insurer can't rely on ambiguous contract terms to get out of their obligations. Basic contract law.

So if commuting is to "a permanent place of work", then travelling to you place of study is not unambiguously a place of work. You are not contracted like a worker, paid like a worker, or insured in the workplace like a worker.

So they can't shirk a claim, even if they wanted to.

Another way to look at it: do you need to have business class insurance to travel to night school as it's a "second workplace"?
Of course you don't!

Man of Honour
Hate these areas of insurance - same as the way commuting often doesn't cover driving to a different place occasionally for work or giving colleagues a lift, etc.

Back
Top Bottom