Quitting smoking tonight

Soldato
OP
On day 3 now. Honestly, its harder than I thought / remembered it to be... Everything has been a bit of a nightmare at work and home too which doesn't help lol.

Glad to be a few days in now, as its really easy to justify getting back on the fags and trying again later during the first day or 2, but now I've committed this much effort it seems like a waste and I would feel guilty about failing now. I'm having less moments when I think I'll go for a fag, then remember I've stopped which is good as thats really annoying lol.

Soldato
On day 3 now. Honestly, its harder than I thought / remembered it to be... Everything has been a bit of a nightmare at work and home too which doesn't help lol.

Glad to be a few days in now, as its really easy to justify getting back on the fags and trying again later during the first day or 2, but now I've committed this much effort it seems like a waste and I would feel guilty about failing now. I'm having less moments when I think I'll go for a fag, then remember I've stopped which is good as thats really annoying lol.
Top banana, good stuff my man. Take those deep breathes and enjoy tasting things again!

I haz 4090!
Don
Remember to have something to do when you get cravings too. Go for a walk around the block, hoover a couple of rooms, just something to get your mind off it. You've cracked it now, the first two days are out of the way, it's easy street from here on in.

Associate
I forgot to mention, one way i found to stop smoking.. though i don't expect anyone else to do it.. but it worked for me.

I had my teeth whitened before i went cold turkey... knowing that smoking discolours your teeth etc, my teeth were extremely yellow, so i booked an appointment to bleach my teeth (not Ross colour thankfully), and having the cost of that in my head as well as not wanting to ruin my teeth again gave me a real motivation and excuse to give up... obviously that costs money and i'm not saying you should do something similar but having a real goal in mind can just maybe give you the boost to let go.

I also think the first 2 days is a bit hit and miss... my cravings only slowed after a couple weeks.. perhaps more.. but everyone is different

Capodecina
Soldato
We all say that we'll
Quit someday
When our nerves ain't shot
And our hands don't shake, yeah
We all say that we'll
Quit someday
When our nerves ain't shot
And our hands don't shake

Wipe down the bar, take out the trash
Light one up and count my cash
Swear I'm never coming back again

I'm just blowin' smoke
Hey yeah
I'm just blowin' smoke
Hey yeah
Out here going broke
Hey yeah
Yeah we're just blowin'
Smoke

Hope it's still going OK for you, OP.

Last edited:
Associate
Good job. Smoking is horrific.
Quit 2 years 8 months and 5 days ago and never looked back.

off topic, came into the general to as what MM abbreviation means? I didn’t know where to put it so I may as well put it here. Read it in gpu deal thread.

Much appreciated.

Underboss
Good job. Smoking is horrific.
Quit 2 years 8 months and 5 days ago and never looked back.

off topic, came into the general to as what MM abbreviation means? I didn’t know where to put it so I may as well put it here. Read it in gpu deal thread.

Much appreciated.

Members Market, our buy and sell sub forum.

You do not meet the 1000 posts requirement for access to it.

Associate
i noticed as soon as i stopped smoking i ate a lot more than i used to.. though not sure if this was down to smoking or to metabolism but i started gaining weight fast (i was about 9 stone for 4years straight) and a year after i stopped i jumped to 11st which ain't much but i was super happy because i thought there was something wrong with me.

Caporegime
anyone who wants to quit smoking read up on COPD
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is the name for a group of lung conditions that cause breathing difficulties.
It includes:
  • emphysema – damage to the air sacs in the lungs
  • chronic bronchitis – long-term inflammation of the airways
COPD is a common condition that mainly affects middle-aged or older adults who smoke. Many people do not realise they have it.
The breathing problems tend to get gradually worse over time and can limit your normal activities, although treatment can help keep the condition under control.
Realise your lungs one day will be totally destroyed and you have "long covid" :p

Associate
I find it very easy to not smoke, I do vape now and again.. but if I'm out drinking in the pub etc, I can't help but buy cigarettes :(

I hear you on this.. it just ain't the same with a pint in one hand and a fag in the other.. unfortunately for me.. rather than being additicted to smoking.. i think i have a vaping addiction :(

Capodecina
Soldato
I find it very easy to not smoke

if I'm out drinking in the pub etc, I can't help but buy cigarettes :(

What exactly is the "etc" here, any social situation? Any situation where alcohol is involved?

The issue is that you have not identified the trigger situation(s) where you are most likely to fail. You need to do that and target them. Same advice to @new boy.

Soldato
I suppose one way to look at it is the cost. I buy my stepdad fags as he can't easily leave the house, they're about £9.50 a pack. Just think what you can buy after not getting a few packs. It's gonna add up quick.

Associate
What exactly is the "etc" here, any social situation? Any situation where alcohol is involved?

The issue is that you have not identified the trigger situation(s) where you are most likely to fail. You need to do that and target them. Same advice to @new boy.

By etc I mean when I drink alcohol. That's my trigger.

Back
Top Bottom