Caporegime
Sounds like your doing a lot of messing about for what gain? What is the advantage to all of this?

What is the temps without the klim stuff, haven't they been debunked now that they seem to not be of any advantage? Though I wouldn't really worry about temps unless it's causing issues, 40c seems ok from a laptop doesn't it?

Associate
So I managed to salvage it by torrenting the full version of Snappy Driver Installer

Worried about privacy but torrent'ing something which sounds like the ultimate virus itself?

That's strange.

Anyway, why would you use a third-party driver installer?

The only time I have used a driver installed /updater was been with ThinkPads because the Lenovo is reasonably good and it's a quick way to grab everything, but if you've gone to so much trouble to do a custom install, finding the correct drivers is easy and difficult ones you should be able to get from their hardwareID.

Sorry, OP but your whole thread started reads like "how not to set up a new computer" :p

EDIT: and productivity of what? Unless you are doing some CUDA work, why buy a laptop with a power hungry GPU and then complain about it getting hot?

Soldato
Excuse my ignorance but can you not just install standard windows 10 back on it?
This what I would do to find out whether or not the laptop is faulty.

I would bet that the laptop isn't faulty and would work perfectly fine with the stock image. In which case you need to find out what software is running that might be controlling fan speeds and what dependencies it might have - for example, Asus System Control Interface might need the .NET framework installed to run.

Soldato
rog laptops must have their software installed so you have full fan control profiles so if the machine starts to get hot the automatic control will kick in and cool down, i have a asus g14 and even with my fan profiles i still see mid 90's for cpu and mid 80's under full load, when i return back to the desktop the fans still spin for a good few minutes and when it cools off my cpu (5800u) normally sits around 35-42 and i have a profile where my dedicated gpu turns off and i use the igpu of the cpu instead so at idle my laptop is very cool and quiet, in all honesty i'd re install the latest version of windows and make sure all the correct software is installed to and you'll have no problems at all.

Associate
I kinda disagree with a few in this thread, as we should encourage tinkering and customising.
Although, that being said, op, I think you need to be willing to go back to a standard install of Windows for troubleshooting reasons.
Then apply one thing at a time, go through logical and find the issue.
Also, rather than just following a guide on the internet, try to fully understand each component of it and do one thing at a time.

Soldato
I kinda disagree with a few in this thread, as we should encourage tinkering and customising.
Tinkering and customising is all well and good, but buying a brand new high-end device with very proprietary features and software... Then installing a half-baked Windows image that's not designed for consumers, that's not wise.

Even on a generic desktop machine built from standard components, you're likely to bump into some issues with LTSC Windows. I'm a software developer who's been tinkering with systems for 25 years and I'd rather not mess with LTSC unless for a very specific offline machine. On a laptop, even worse, and a gaming laptop, not looking good.

Honestly OP, reinstall the OS and work from there. Don't fiddle with LTSC unless you really know what it is, what it's for and what it does. An operating system is a bit too complex for following guides with TBH.

Or use Linux? Driver issues come as standard but privacy and online help do too :)

Associate
didn't even know ntlite still works with Windows 10.. i thought they discontinued after Windows 7. Oh well.. i'd just install plain windows 10 fro mthe media creation tool, use powershell scripts to remove all the bloatware which comes with it (easy to find via github or technet).. usually the stuff installed via the windows store, and let windows update handle the default/generic drivers.

You're asking for trouble trying to image on a gaming machine.. Seems a bit weird installing an enterprise version of windows on a gaming laptop.. understandable if it was a business flagship like a Lenovo Thinkpad P15.. and even then LTSC should already be a stripped out version no?

Back
Top Bottom