• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fidelity Super Resolution in 2021

Soldato
There are two ways to make leaves and grass. You can create a detail model of the leaves and grass or you can have a rectangle and apply textures with alpha maps.

If you model the leaves and grass you get better run time performance at the expense of large polygon counts which requires a lot of VRAM for dense scenes.

You can go with texture on a simple polygon model and use alpha maps to make create the shape of a leaf, which gives you a scene with less polygons, lower vram consumption for certain scenes but alpha maps are slow at run time.

I suspect that FC6 is using a lot of alpha maps for leaves and grass and may switch it out for higher res models when close up.

Permabanned
I think we're at the stage now where everyone accepts that still images are useless for comparing native/fsr/dlss/XeSS

please post video comparing the two with the camera panning
videos should be native non compressed though and should be uploaded to Onedrive/Gdrive or youtube destroy image quality and make everything pixelated

and yes fsr dlss will be scapegoat for optimization , no two ways about it

Caporegime
I think we're at the stage now where everyone accepts that still images are useless for comparing native/fsr/dlss/XeSS

please post video comparing the two with the camera panning
No point as YouTube will compress the hell out of any video. At least the screenshots are all the same high quality.

It's just a quick comparison for anyone interested.

What's up ?
The FSR looks good in your 1st & 3rd link but bad in the 2nd. Are you sure you didn't mix up the FSR Ultra Quality & Quality screenshots with the RT on ?
I see what you mean. I re-did the second screenshot.

However when I checked the settings, they are correct.

After some investigation, I think that the Ultra Quality setting is over sharpened and that causes some artifacts. However, prior to enabling FSR in the video menu you can set the level of sharpening, 0, 50% and 100%.

I think at default UQ uses 100% and Quality 50%. As once i set 50% and then enabled FSR UQ, the image looks better than the default setting and now it does not look worse than FSR Q setting IMO.

Have a look and see what you think.

FSR UQ (100% sharp) + RT Ultra Vs FSR UQ (50% sharp) + RT Ultra
The Medium - FSR UQ (100% sharp) + RT Ultra Vs FSR UQ (50% sharp) + RT Ultra Comparison - Imgsli

FSR UQ (50% sharp) + RT Ultra Vs FSR Q + RT Ultra
The Medium - FSR UQ (50% sharp) + RT Ultra Vs FSR Q + RT Ultra Comparison - Imgsli

And a comparison to native.

Native + RT Ultra Vs FSR UQ (50% sharp) + RT Ultra
The Medium - Native + RT Ultra Vs FSR UQ + RT Ultra - Imgsli

If I wanted to use Ray Tracing in this game, I would use FSR (52% uplift using FSR UQ & 92% uplift using FSR Q) as the minor reductions in image quality are hard to spot without pixel peeping and I am sure I would not notice it in gameplay.

Based on the FSR UQ Vs FSR Q screenshots, given the tiny difference between FSR UQ and FSR Q, you may as well use FSR Q and enjoy the 92% performance uplift surely.

With all that said and done though, I'll still probably turn RT off and run native. :D

Last edited:
Associate
FSR Supported Games:
22 Racing Series
Anno 1800
Arcadegeddon
Black Desert Online
Chernobylite
Dota 2
Edge of Eternity
Elite Dangerous
Evil Genius 2
Godfall
Myst: Masterpiece Edition
Necromunda: Hired Gun
Resident Evil Villiage
Terminator Resistance
The Medium

Coming Soon:
Far Cry 6
Kingshunt
The Riftbraker (demo out)
+ more later

Associate
No point as YouTube will compress the hell out of any video. At least the screenshots are all the same high quality.

It's just a quick comparison for anyone interested. <SNIP>
:D

Those images are really impressive. A significant improvement to FPS with very few noticable drops in image quality. The only big one is the mug on the table that seems to confuse FSR a bit.

100% I'd use FSR seeing these images.

Associate

It's just a quick comparison for anyone interested.

I see what you mean. I re-did the second screenshot.

However when I checked the settings, they are correct.

After some investigation, I think that the Ultra Quality setting is over sharpened and that causes some artifacts. However, prior to enabling FSR in the video menu you can set the level of sharpening, 0, 50% and 100%.

I think at default UQ uses 100% and Quality 50%. As once i set 50% and then enabled FSR UQ, the image looks better than the default setting and now it does not look worse than FSR Q setting IMO.

Have a look and see what you think.

FSR UQ (100% sharp) + RT Ultra Vs FSR UQ (50% sharp) + RT Ultra
The Medium - FSR UQ (100% sharp) + RT Ultra Vs FSR UQ (50% sharp) + RT Ultra Comparison - Imgsli

FSR UQ (50% sharp) + RT Ultra Vs FSR Q + RT Ultra
The Medium - FSR UQ (50% sharp) + RT Ultra Vs FSR Q + RT Ultra Comparison - Imgsli

And a comparison to native.

Native + RT Ultra Vs FSR UQ (50% sharp) + RT Ultra
The Medium - Native + RT Ultra Vs FSR UQ + RT Ultra - Imgsli

If I wanted to use Ray Tracing in this game, I would use FSR (52% uplift using FSR UQ & 92% uplift using FSR Q) as the minor reductions in image quality are hard to spot without pixel peeping and I am sure I would not notice it in gameplay.

Based on the FSR UQ Vs FSR Q screenshots, given the tiny difference between FSR UQ and FSR Q, you may as well use FSR Q and enjoy the 92% performance uplift surely.

With all that said and done though, I'll still probably turn RT off and run native. :D

Yes, that looks much better now, maybe the 2nd image was over-sharpened like you say

Soldato
Is there more than one title supporting this yet?

FSR Supported Games:
22 Racing Series
Anno 1800
Arcadegeddon
Black Desert Online
Chernobylite
Dota 2
Edge of Eternity
Elite Dangerous
Evil Genius 2
Godfall
Myst: Masterpiece Edition
Necromunda: Hired Gun
Resident Evil Villiage
Terminator Resistance
The Medium

Coming Soon:
Far Cry 6
Kingshunt
The Riftbraker (demo out)
+ more later

Considering FSR has not been out that long that is not a bad amount of games already supported.

Associate
1. Cyberpunk isn't doing all that at 4K 30 with a "mere" 3080. In fact it's <20 fps and that's without even going to Psycho for that RTGI. (https://youtu.be/XE9KIP19vMU?t=117)
2. Far Cry and Cyberpunk have VERY different scenes to render, just go to the gardens in the city in Cyberpunk and see your framerate instantly halve.
3. Far Cry 6 is obviously foliage heavy, so you do the math on what that would actually look like if they'd try to push it like Cyberpunk.

In fact the only ones approaching anything near doing what you're saying you want are the Massive guys doing Avatar, but that's next-gen only & still very much WIP. https://twitter.com/nhstefanov/status/1404145045914202116
  1. Don’t think the frame rate halves. That’s an exaggeration . It goes from 55fps to 49 in gardens.

From what I saw in the trailer, it doesn’t look nowhere near as good as Cyberpunk does on RTX Ultra or even Metro Exodus. Certainly nothing warrants a 20 FPS decline compared to these games.

unless the 30 FPS is with FSR disabled which makes sense as Quality mode will boost that to 60fps at 4K.

AMD cards are not good at ray tracing so I doubt whether the effects would be as good looking as the NVIDIA sponsored titles.

Permabanned
AMD cards are not good at ray tracing so I doubt whether the effects would be as good looking as the NVIDIA sponsored titles.

They are up to 50% slower during RT. Nvidia also wins out having dedicated hardware, which allows them to concurrently run RT and DLSS jobs alongside legacy. AMD are not able to do this as they rely on shared hardware, something Hardware Unboxed had to admit during a recent Q&A, reasoning it to budget.

Soldato
They are up to 50% slower during RT. Nvidia also wins out having dedicated hardware, which allows them to concurrently run RT and DLSS jobs alongside legacy. AMD are not able to do this as they rely on shared hardware, something Hardware Unboxed had to admit during a recent Q&A, reasoning it to budget.

Well, what you and most people seem to forget 3000 RTX series is 2nd gen RT if you compare RDNA 2 to 2000 series RTX 1st gen vs 1 gen you would actually see that RDNA 2 RT is actually doing good.
The only game that outright wins is Minecraft.

Permabanned
Well, what you and most people seem to forget 3000 RTX series is 2nd gen RT if you compare RDNA 2 to 2000 series RTX 1st gen vs 1 gen you would actually see that RDNA 2 RT is actually doing good.

What you and a few others forget is that when purchasing a product normal people don't care what generation it is. We care about feature set and performance. It's interesting that you wish to compare RDNA2 to Turing as Turing was also slated for it's RT performance. Catch up, we are on Ampere now.

Soldato
What you and a few others forget is that when purchasing a product normal people don't care what generation it is. We care about feature set and performance. It's interesting that you wish to compare RDNA2 to Turing as Turing was also slated for it's RT performance. Catch up, we are on Ampere now.

Slated? No it wasn't that is a complete lie 2000 series was slated for its early DLSS 1.0 nothing to do with RT.
RT was a big setup in the industry first GPUs with RT something not possible before.

Sure I can see your point about new customer buying into a product will compare the latest.
The fact is either way you look at it RDNA2 RT is a generation behind.

Associate

That isn’t really an achievement as they already knew what baseline RT performance they needed to hit relative to Turing in order to not be seen as a complete joke. Same with FSR.

RT is being fast adopted in the industry and they need to catch up as even in AMD sponsored titles, NVIDIA cards take the lead when ray tracing is enabled.

Permabanned
Slated? No it wasn't that is a complete lie 2000 series was slated for its early DLSS 1.0 nothing to do with RT.
RT was a big setup in the industry first GPUs with RT something not possible before.

Sure I can see your point about new customer buying into a product will compare the latest.
The fact is either way you look at it RDNA2 RT is a generation behind.

I certainly thought Turing offered really terrible RT performance. And I agree DLSS was terrible back then, but it was the RT performance that made me skip it.

Back
Top Bottom