what shortage would stir/rile you?

Soldato
I could get a bit antsy if Grey Goose vodka became elusive, but I’m not too proud to drink Smirnoff.
I’d be quite prepared to lean on my wife to drive us down to Ashford, Kent, (I detest driving), and take Le Shuttle to Calais, buy half a dozen bottles of Laurent-Perrier Champagne or possibly Armagnac and/or Calvados, have a late lunch or early dinner in Le Grand Bleu restaurant, right on the quay at Calais, then back to Angleterre.
Try Russian standard gold (comes in a fancy bottle) it’s reasonably priced and decent.

Soldato
Man of Honour
Try Russian standard gold (comes in a fancy bottle) it’s reasonably priced and decent.

Thanks, I often get Russian Standard from Asda, @ £16 per litre a pop it’s quite reasonable, and has a good taste, I’ll watch out for gold now, but I’ve seen platinum advertised.

Associate
1. Losing the internet would be a pain as it would render my pc, laptop, phone and TV pointless.

I've got some unread books and board games that never get played though so perhaps losing the internet for a bit would be a good thing.

2. Something that is impacting me today that was really unexpected was the loss of good quality DAB signal in my car. The Bilsdale transmitter caught fire and this has meant I get intermittent DAB signal in my car which I find really annoying.

3. Shortages at Christmas may be an issue as it's already stressful enough getting food supplies in during this time of the year, but ultimately if I have to have a curry, stir-fry or beans on toast instead of Christmas dinner it'll be okay, as I'll still be with my family which is the most important part of Christmas.

Soldato
haha good point. Think it was Australia that had a shortage of that.
From what I can remember, loo roll in Australia is made in China. The clips of people buying enough loo roll to build a house from and punching each other. 48 hours after this, people were panic buying loo roll even though 99% of the stuff is made in the UK. Two factories are in Greater Manchester and north Leicestershire. It even says made in the UK on the bag!

I think this current shortage issue (HGV drivers) is a regional thing. Here in Stafford, most items are still well stocked. In my last ASDA shop, there was 1 substitution where they subbed my mango chutney for another brand. Wasn't fussed with that.

However, my parents live in a small Shropshire town and their shop shelves have had empty patches for the last 3-4 weeks.

To answer the OP - the shortage that would get me would probably be flour. In the March 2020 lockdown, supplies of pasta, bog roll and paracetamol all came back fairly quickly, but flour was nowhere to be seen until May, some 6 weeks later.

I would also miss beer (Brewdog) and gin!

Soldato
I think this current shortage issue (HGV drivers) is a regional thing. Here in Stafford, most items are still well stocked. In my last ASDA shop, there was 1 substitution where they subbed my mango chutney for another brand. Wasn't fussed with that.

However, my parents live in a small Shropshire town and their shop shelves have had empty patches for the last 3-4 weeks.

To answer the OP - the shortage that would get me would probably be flour. In the March 2020 lockdown, supplies of pasta, bog roll and paracetamol all came back fairly quickly, but flour was nowhere to be seen until May, some 6 weeks later.

I would also miss beer (Brewdog) and gin!
It could be down to where the supermarkets are to the distribution centres. If the supermarket you use is furthest away from dc which covers it, the supermarket may take longer to recover from gaps than one nearer.

Caporegime
Haven't seen any real shortage here yet apart from bananas.

most the veg and fruit looks way poorer quality though.
Does anyone shop in LIDL? they always had really good vegetables and freshly baked bread in Switzerland, Never tried one in the UK though.

Back
Top Bottom