VPN Leaking?

Associate
Hey guys!
I have a VPN with private internet access and a dedicated IP, I’ve done every leak test I can online that I can but still when I’m abroad with work if I try to use BT sports or iPlayer or anything it just says I’m in the incorrect location!
Can anyone help with this?
Thanks

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
No difference to the streaming services if it’s 1 or 1000 people using that IP, to them it’s likely still just an IP that is owned by a VPN provider, and so is on a deny listing somewhere.

Associate
OP
No difference to the streaming services if it’s 1 or 1000 people using that IP, to them it’s likely still just an IP that is owned by a VPN provider, and so is on a deny listing somewhere.
Makes sense, any suggestions off anyone on how to get around it?

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
The DNS services on offer to bypass geo restrictions seem to work in these situations, but would say you’d have to test things out and see what works.

Associate
OP
The DNS services on offer to bypass geo restrictions seem to work in these situations, but would say you’d have to test things out and see what works.
This is like setting up a smart dns? Any links for a good guide on what I’m looking for and setting up etc

Soldato
Your static IP will help reduce things like captcha requests, as only you are using that IP. In other words, Google and Cloudflare (for example) aren't seeing thousands of hits from your IP and then flagging it as suspicious. Your static IP itself, however, is in an ASN (IP range) allocated to a datacentre. These are routinely blacklisted by streaming providers.

The answer in your case is to use PIA's "London (Streaming)" server for watching content on demand like BT Sports, iPlayer etc. Then switch back to your static IP for other stuff. A bit of a pain, but it will work. You may wish to re-evaluate whether the static IP option is worth it for you.

Edit: Please note that the "London (Streaming)" server is called exactly that. The other London servers won't work with video on demand services like iPlayer et al.

Associate
Having worked in places overseas where even whatsapp and FB messenger video and voice calls are banned, it is an issue I understand and can sympathise with.

What I've resorted to previously is having a desktop PC at home or in the office which is on 24/7, or can be switched on via Wake on LAN as required. Then start a remote desktop session using your software of choice. Windows RDP works OK, google chrome remote desktop also works OK most of the time, but there are plenty of other products such as ultraviewer you can try.

Then simply watch the content you want on the remote desktop. I've not tried it with live HD quality content, but I'm assuming there will be pixelation at times and audio drop outs/lag depending on the download/upload bandwidth available at both ends. If you set the remote desktop resolution to be something like 1024x768 instead of full HD or 4K, this will reduce the bandwidth needed. The content might just be bearable to watch which is better than nothing at all.

Soldato
I just host a VPN on my ASUS router and connect to that using the free domain you can generate in the router.
All the traffic goes through my home network, fine for streaming.... not so for activities you don't want linked to home.

Enable before leaving, and disable on return. (not via remote web access).

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the suggestions guys

I just host a VPN on my ASUS router and connect to that using the free domain you can generate in the router.
All the traffic goes through my home network, fine for streaming.... not so for activities you don't want linked to home.

Enable before leaving, and disable on return. (not via remote web access).

this isn’t something I’d be aware of as I have a BT Home Hub, I’ll have to look into flashing it maybe

Back
Top Bottom