• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Soldato
OP
I can see it being very expensive to upgrade if you include PCIe 5.0 and DDR5, especially at the early adopters prices. When you factor in the cost of the CPU and a new motherboard…..ouch. But people will pay the premium.

I will wait to see how AMD respond, and for DDR5 to settle. The PCIe thing isn’t a big deal to me.

For me in 2022:

ddr5 ram (32gb or 64gb)
Gen 5 ssd
New mobo (probably an asus z690 maximus)
New cpu (probably the i9 12900k)
Rtx4080/4090

Soldato
I can see it being very expensive to upgrade if you include PCIe 5.0 and DDR5, especially at the early adopters prices. When you factor in the cost of the CPU and a new motherboard…..ouch. But people will pay the premium.

I will wait to see how AMD respond, and for DDR5 to settle. The PCIe thing isn’t a big deal to me.
Considering people were paying £3000 for an RTX3090 a couple of months back which is 15% faster than a £649 3080FE I don't think people are too worried about costs being higher especially those this will be aimed at.

Soldato
Considering people were paying £3000 for an RTX3090 a couple of months back which is 15% faster than a £649 3080FE I don't think people are too worried about costs being higher especially those this will be aimed at.

That is largely due to mining. Which was largely due to China.

Last edited:
Permabanned
If I understand it correctly, PCIe 5 gives double the bandwidth of 4, which again is double the bandwidth of 3. That would mean that we need less lanes per device? Two lanes for a gen 4 NVMe for example, while GPUs will be running well with 4 or 8 lanes. With 16 PCIe 5 lanes under Alderlake you can have your GPU and 4 NVMe drives all running at top speeds?

I'm torn between Alderlake on socket 1700, which should also support Raptorlake and AMD's 3D stacked 5950x on EOL AM4.

Associate
If I understand it correctly, PCIe 5 gives double the bandwidth of 4, which again is double the bandwidth of 3. That would mean that we need less lanes per device? Two lanes for a gen 4 NVMe for example, while GPUs will be running well with 4 or 8 lanes. With 16 PCIe 5 lanes under Alderlake you can have your GPU and 4 NVMe drives all running at top speeds?

I'm torn between Alderlake on socket 1700, which should also support Raptorlake and AMD's 3D stacked 5950x on EOL AM4.
Rumours are for PCI-E 4.0 link to chipset so I doubt that there will be more than 2 PCI-E 4.0 drives.

Soldato
If Intel implements Thunderbolt /or USB 4.0/ that will probably also add to the prices of motherboards. Plus new socket for processor may add up. I am not optimistic for the prices at all.

Certainly will, as it seems they have dropped thunderbolt from the chip. So it'll have to be mobo

Soldato
Intel could offer a motherboard, CPU and graphics card option.

A program with a multi buy discount or mail in rebate option would probably be well received. Maybe even offer an SSD.

It would certainly take the sting out of the DIY console market, and marketing such a program would probably take minimal effort. All the YouTube tech reviewers could add so many twists on that type of program. Push an “Intel really cares about gamers” type of rhetoric.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
12900k is expected to be 24 threads so prepare for the price tag.

The price will be based on performance relative to AMD. Remember, Intel used to charge $2000 for 32 threads, until AMD launched the 3950x then Intel dropped the price in half.

Associate
The price will be based on performance relative to AMD. Remember, Intel used to charge $2000 for 32 threads, until AMD launched the 3950x then Intel dropped the price in half.

You have a point there but in this case Intel is bringing a new platform with all the novelties and AMD probably only a processor line and if rumours are correct about a month later. The way I feel it at the moment hype seems to be working for Intel even if AMD keeps the productivity crown.

Last edited:
Soldato
If Intel add a little secret sauce when using an Intel CPU with a Intel graphics card they could be onto a small but ripe market for easy profits.

Associate
Anti - monopoly regulator may sanction them if they do that.

Since that process would take years if not decades, Intel may be willing to risk it. Wasn't the new CEO deeply involved with their previous monopolistic stuff?

The last time they settled out of court. Certainly with AMD and possibly with Nvidia. This means the monopolies process would have to start again from scratch. (Versus for instance Microsoft and browsers. So that if Microsoft get too aggressive with Edge - like shipping a version of Windows where they've "accidentally" left out the ability to change browser - they'd get far quicker fine for breaching their previous settlement.l

Permabanned
The price will be based on performance relative to AMD.

Err, 11900K is 6.7% faster than 10900K, offering 2-cores/4-threads less, coming a full year later, and costing a whopping 19.5% more.
PassMark - Intel Core i9-10900K @ 3.70GHz - Price performance comparison (cpubenchmark.net)
PassMark - Intel Core i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz - Price performance comparison (cpubenchmark.net)

Something in Intel is desperately broken.
Its business ethics and knowledge of the market situation and the customers' preferences is extremely poor.

Back
Top Bottom