Just too damn hot

Associate
So I've now bought all the kit I need for riding. Helmet, jacket, gloves, trousers and boots. But even with these mild temperatures, when out riding I am sweating absolute buckets!! I took the lining out of my jacket and the gloves are summer ones. But I'm getting so hot I actually find it hard to focus on riding.

Am I missing something, or does everyone else get ridiculously hot when out riding too?

Associate
its a constant problem. Always something wrong. Too hot or Too cold. Just have to bear with it and focus on the ride to be honest. I am normally okay with textiles unless its over 20 degrees and i am stopped at lights. Defiantly recommend a jacket with zips that you can unzip for air circulation inside the jacket.

Man of Honour
Defiantly recommend a jacket with zips that you can unzip for air circulation inside the jacket.
Yes, this. I have a really warm leather jacket but in hotter weather I revert back to a cheap textile jacket. It's not the most fashionable thing and I got it for my CBT last year. But it has huge chest pockets that unzip and then open up completely. It's such a relief in hot whether then moving.

Soldato
My best summer jacket is actually a Frank Thomas leather one. It has perforated panels aligned to face into the oncoming wind when you ride, so you get airflow over most of your body.
First few rides in it were weird, as it feels like you're not wearing anything!

Worth noting that riding at higher speeds in hot weather, especially when the air is thick and muggy, the airflow creates skin friction on the outside of your clothing which actually heats you up.

Man of Honour
You want to wear a thermal under layer and have a textile jacket with lots of breather sections that you can open and close.

Summer gloves and boots have practically no impact in comparison to chest and helmet vents so don’t bother with those.

Where I ride there is a temperature difference of 12C in under an hour’s riding and I never have an issue with being at the right temperature.

Being stationary in the sun at the lights when it’s above 35C will melt you no matter what you’re wearing.

Associate
What Kreeee^6 says basically!

I have my Halvarssons (apologies for probably wrong spelling) commuter textile stuff that - with detachable lining - works for about 345 days a year. For the few hot days I finally got a mesh jacket from one of their sister brands. Makes all the difference.

And just to repeat what Kreeeee says, underneath you want the right stuff too, appropriate base layer. Same goes for socks. I've had a lovely time in light ski socks :). One can wear all the right top layer stuff but if the base layer is jeans and T-shirt it's half defeated already.

In my experience.

Back
Top Bottom