Quest 2, Which WiFi6 Router?

Soldato
First time buyers, living with my mum at the moment, which hasn't been bad, but it's time to move on. We're moving about 3 minutes walk away :D. Even less as the crow flies, in fact having just checked, I've realised we're less than 100m away, and can see it from here! Both are at the end of closes, that go away from the other, so you have to travel much further to cover what is basically 1 neighbours house away.

Can't move too far away from Mammy!! :p

Congratulations on your first house :) It's a great feeling to finally get on the property ladder. Welcome to been been broke all the time :p:D

Soldato
Can't move too far away from Mammy!! :p

Congratulations on your first house :) It's a great feeling to finally get on the property ladder. Welcome to been been broke all the time :p:D

I've done living thousands of miles away in different countries, now it's quite nice to have some childcare options :D.

Soldato
Anyone use a tri band router for their Quest 2? I currently have a TP-Link Archer C6 which works great, but it does mean all my other devices are stuck on the 2.4Ghz band, which is noticeably slower e.g. when browsing on my phone. Tri band sounds ideal as I could dedicate one 5Ghz to the Quest 2 and the other to everything else.

I did try using a TP-Link Archer AX50/AX3000 as the main router (with the Quest connected) and the C6 as an access point with a different SSID(for everything else) but it was unplayable - completely freezing every couple of minutes. Yes, hold my hands up, I didn't do my research before hand or I would have found the numerous reports of issues and known to stay well away!

I don't really want to have a dedicated router on the PC, as I don't have anywhere to put it (or a spare power socket!).

So is tri band the way to go, or go with my original plan of another dual band router (e.g. the Asus RT AX88u), and use the C6 as an access point?

Considering the TP Link AX11000 (currently a B Grade one on OcUK), as it also has 8 LAN ports which would be handy to get rid of the switch I'm currently using, but been put off TP link now due to my experience with the AX50, otherwise there is the Asus equivalent ROG Rapture AX11000 (expensive!), or even the AC5300, which is the wifi 5) version, as it seems it doesn't really make much difference (since it appears to work fine on my current router).

Or the cheapest option is a PCIE card such as the TP Link TX3000e with the external antenna? But there seem to be mixed thoughts on how well this works!

Soldato
Thought I'd just give this a go, so picked up a 2nd hand TP Link C5400x (didn't think there was much point in spending 2-3 as much for the wifi 6 version since I don't currently have any other compatible devices).

So far seems to work perfectly, got everything except the quest connected to 5GHz band 1, and the quest on 5GHz band 2. No performance issues, no stuttering, in fact dare I say it feels smoother than the old router (possibly just placebo effect :p).

Soldato
Thought I'd just give this a go, so picked up a 2nd hand TP Link C5400x (didn't think there was much point in spending 2-3 as much for the wifi 6 version since I don't currently have any other compatible devices).

So far seems to work perfectly, got everything except the quest connected to 5GHz band 1, and the quest on 5GHz band 2. No performance issues, no stuttering, in fact dare I say it feels smoother than the old router (possibly just placebo effect :p).

That's great that you are happy with the results. How much did you buy it for? I mean there are some great AX routers available for less than £200.

Soldato
I got it for £135 from the high street trade in place (was listed at £165, but I picked up some discounted vouchers from the MM here).

The problem was I wanted tri band so I could still have my other devices on 5Ghz, and 8 LAN ports so I could get rid of the extra switch and tangle of wires under my TV. As far as I could tell, the only options ticking all these boxes were the AX11000 models from TP Link or Asus, both of which are close to £400. I put in an offer for the B grade TP Link from OcUK, but unfortunately the counter-offer was still pretty high.

Last edited:
Soldato
I got it for £135 from the high street trade in place (was listed at £165, but I picked up some discounted vouchers from the MM here).

The problem was I wanted tri band so I could still have my other devices on 5Ghz, and 8 LAN ports so I could get rid of the extra switch and tangle of wires under my TV. As far as I could tell, the only options ticking all these boxes were the AX11000 models from TP Link or Asus, both of which are close to £400

Sorry, I don't understand why you needed 8 ports when you already have a switch? Aren't you just going to be changing where you plug the cables in? Which you could have done by just moving the switch. Don't mean to sound argumentative!!

Great price for the router, that used to be a top of the line one a few years ago. And yeah, lol, I think the the improvement you are noticing is placebo :) The C6 is a great router, and you had it setup correctly for the Quest 2 So you aren't gaining anything by going to the C5400x that would improve that side of things. Unless of course you have moved the new router to somewhere closer to your VR play area?

I should have responded to your post on the 1st of August, meant to, just forgot!! So, I can't really come in crying to you now :p

Seeing as how a dedicated router is off the cards, then you did the next best thing and improved things for every other device too. So, it's all good :)

Soldato
Sorry, I don't understand why you needed 8 ports when you already have a switch? Aren't you just going to be changing where you plug the cables in? Which you could have done by just moving the switch. Don't mean to sound argumentative!!

No problem - getting rid of the switch has given me an extra power socket, plus gotten rid of another power cable and network cable (every little helps :p). Also it was just a cheap and cheerful 10/100 switch, so now everything is connected at 1Gbps instead :)

Great price for the router, that used to be a top of the line one a few years ago. And yeah, lol, I think the the improvement you are noticing is placebo :) The C6 is a great router, and you had it setup correctly for the Quest 2 So you aren't gaining anything by going to the C5400x that would improve that side of things. Unless of course you have moved the new router to somewhere closer to your VR play area?

Nah, exactly the same place - other than the extra CPU grunt, there is a difference in that the 5Ghz band 2 (the one I'm using for the quest) uses channels above 100 - it's the only device using those channels, whereas the "normal" ones are quite congested (currently 4 devices on 36-40 and 6 on 44-48).

I should have responded to your post on the 1st of August, meant to, just forgot!! So, I can't really come in crying to you now :p

Seeing as how a dedicated router is off the cards, then you did the next best thing and improved things for every other device too. So, it's all good :)

Hehe, don't worry about it, it was partially just an itch for something new and shiny anyway :p

Also, the signal seems to be stronger in general - I now get a good signal in the bathroom (opposite corner of the house to the router), which was previously quite flakey, so as an added bonus I can now browse OcUK on the toilet without it dropping out :cry:

Soldato
Also, the signal seems to be stronger in general - I now get a good signal in the bathroom (opposite corner of the house to the router), which was previously quite flakey, so as an added bonus I can now browse OcUK on the toilet without it dropping out :cry:

Win-Win!! :p

Associate

Surely, if you're on the toilet you do want it dropping out? :p

Soldato
Hi all. Complete VR noob here. Looking at getting an Oculus Rift 2 after trying a friend's.

I've been trying to comprehend all the ins and outs but it's hard to keep up as it changes quite often by the looks of things.

I would like to play some games that require my PC. Rather than use a cable I'd love to go the WiFi way.

So....

- I have a virgin superhub 3.
- My PC is Ethernet wired over power line
- I have a long cable which I can run into the living room so the above isn't really an issue.

My question:

Is the Virgin Superhub enough to run a decent WiFi connection and use this virtual desktop or is it best to buy a cheap router/switch and use this?

When I game I can plug my pc directly into this router/switch.

Is that correct? Or just stick with virgin superhub?

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi all. Complete VR noob here. Looking at getting an Oculus Rift 2 after trying a friend's.

I've been trying to comprehend all the ins and outs but it's hard to keep up as it changes quite often by the looks of things.

I would like to play some games that require my PC. Rather than use a cable I'd love to go the WiFi way.

So....

- I have a long cable which I can run into the living room so the above isn't really an issue.

My question:

Is the Virgin Superhub enough to run a decent WiFi connection and use this virtual desktop or is it best to buy a cheap router/switch and use this?

Is the Virgin Superhub in the same room as where you plan to use the Quest 2?

How good are the power line connectors between the Super Hub and the PC? Are you getting Gigabit speeds with them? Or are they the slow 100Mb versions?

What CPU and GPU do you have in your PC?

Soldato

So....

My question:

I also assume you mean the Quest 2, not Rift 2?

Soldato
Is the Virgin Superhub in the same room as where you plan to use the Quest 2?

How good are the power line connectors between the Super Hub and the PC? Are you getting Gigabit speeds with them? Or are they the slow 100Mb versions?

What CPU and GPU do you have in your PC?

Yes, the Virgin hub is in the living room and this is where I will be using the Quest 2.

Powerline not too good - like 200mbps. However, I have a very long cat 5e cable I can run from my PC straight to the Virgin hub 2 when I want to,

I have an AMD 3600 and a Vega64

Soldato
Yes, the Virgin hub is in the living room and this is where I will be using the Quest 2.

Powerline not too good - like 200mbps. However, I have a very long cat 5e cable I can run from my PC straight to the Virgin hub 2 when I want to,

I have an AMD 3600 and a Vega64

Before you buy anything, I would see if the Superhub 3 is good enough for you when using the Quest 2. It doesn't get great reviews.

And, yeah, you will need to run that Cat 5e cable between the PC and the Router. The powerline connection wouldn't be fast enough.

Since you have a Vega 64 your best bet is to use Virtual desktop. Just make sure you buy it on the Quest 2 store. You could try Air Link first and see how get on, but, the codes Airlink uses work better with Nvidia cards. In Virtual Desktop you can choose between codecs and pick the one that works best for the GPU you have.

Back
Top Bottom