Poll: Winter 2021/22 - Will we see lots of snow?

What will we see this winter?

• Snow blizzards and minus 50 degrees

Votes: 60 15.5%
  • Drizzle and wind

Votes: 241 62.4%
  • Hurricane Pancakes

Votes: 72 18.7%
  • Highest xxxx since records began

Votes: 78 20.2%

• Total voters
Soldato
I was born 81 - the 78 winter before was the last crazy snowy winter in the town I was born in - drifts of 20-30 feet high and deep enough lying snow to half-bury cars, etc. never seen anything like that in my lifetime around here. Don't think I've even seen more than 6-7 inches in the UK.
I’m born the same year as you. I remember bad snow in January 1987. I couldn’t get to the bottom of the driveway - driveway at then home was the length of front garden and house.

Then mid/late 90s, we had several inches of snow after Christmas and always had snow during new year. Think it was 96/97, I saw the new year in at a friend’s house in the village I used to live (moved 3.5 miles 2 years previously) and it snowed overnight as we slept at hers. It snowed about 8 inches. Neither my parents or any of my friends’ parents couldn’t get out of their driveways. I was the only one that didn’t live in the village. So the only thing was - walking the 3.5 miles! Had to borrow friend’s brother’s coat and boots (he was doing his gap year in NZ).

Before anyone asks taxis, one taxi firm was available and wanted £15 for the journey.

Caporegime
I know it's the opposite end of the planet, but I remember hearing on the news recently that it rained in Antarctica, I think for the 1st time on record, with temps in high single figures. And it's their winter down there. Scary stuff.

Edit, I can't find a source to back that up, possibly getting mixed up with something else.

it did set a new highest summer temp in 2020 though - a barmy 18.3C

https://public.wmo.int/en/media/pre...ly 2021 (WMO,the Esperanza station (Argentina).

Associate
Like the way high pressure has been only too eager to develop over Greenland through much of the summer which it is linked to it will probably change as soon as it would be useful for bringing in wintery weather :s
I figure that was the result of that Islandic volcano that has been erupting all year.

Soldato
voted snow and blizzards but the reality is that for the most part we only have a variation of one season, autumn. it'll be cold, wet and miserable as it always is and only warming up ever so slightly for a week or 2 come next summer before repeating itself. NI weather really is the crappiest!

Man of Honour
Had some ridiculously thick fog the last couple of nights, pretty bad this morning as well though not as bad - coming home Saturday there were patches where for about 500m visibility was so reduced you could barely see your own headlights let alone the road! never had it that bad - all I could do was reduce speed to like walking pace and be thankful I knew the road like the back of my hand. It was so bad that when I hit the first patch that bad and hit the brakes I had no external references to the fact I was slowing down which was quite odd.

Not sure if it is a first this year - looking at the GEFS runs there is a 1 on the snow row for London at the end of the month - first time I've seen the models show any hints of snow other than Scotland.

Associate
Winter is coming! :)

download.png

Caporegime
Ah Simon Clark made a video on that
does he claim it's man made?

they are whining about the gulf stream moving now even though historically it happens like that as a natural cycle

I remember crazy winters in the 80s and 90s, since 2000 seems kinda meh apart from once or twice

Back
Top Bottom