Quest 2, Which WiFi6 Router?

Soldato
Before you buy anything, I would see if the Superhub 3 is good enough for you when using the Quest 2. It doesn't get great reviews.

And, yeah, you will need to run that Cat 5e cable between the PC and the Router. The powerline connection wouldn't be fast enough.

Since you have a Vega 64 your best bet is to use Virtual desktop. Just make sure you buy it on the Quest 2 store. You could try Air Link first and see how get on, but, the codes Airlink uses work better with Nvidia cards. In Virtual Desktop you can choose between codecs and pick the one that works best for the GPU you have.

Copy that.

Just got the Quest an hour ago so going to have fun without the PC for a few days. THen see how I get on with the Superhub 3

Thanks!

Soldato
I think the Quest 2 is a game changer for VR as it's wireless, and with Virtual Desktop all of the games on Steam are available which is brilliant.

The Quest 1 was wireless and was great with Virtual Desktop surely that was the game changer for VR !? ;)
In addition as for the router I just used my BT Superhub and I used to play VR outside in the garden or garage from it without any issues and my router
was the opposite side of the house to the back garden.

Soldato
So I'm still a long way from getting a dedicated router, but I finally worked out how to split the wifi networks! Now everything else is on 2.4ghz, and the 5ghz will be the quest 2 only. Might help a little.

Can I change things in oculus to increase the airlink bitrate or does it work automagically?

Found out that I only had a cat 5 cable in the amazon firestick ethernet adapter too, so found a 5e one to upgrade that to. Might help get that working a bit snappier too (though our internet connection is that slow it may not make much difference.)

Soldato
So I'm still a long way from getting a dedicated router, but I finally worked out how to split the wifi networks! Now everything else is on 2.4ghz, and the 5ghz will be the quest 2 only. Might help a little.

Can I change things in oculus to increase the airlink bitrate or does it work automagically?

Found out that I only had a cat 5 cable in the amazon firestick ethernet adapter too, so found a 5e one to upgrade that to. Might help get that working a bit snappier too (though our internet connection is that slow it may not make much difference.)

The Cat 5e cable between your router and your PC will make a huge difference!! Sorry, I should add a caveat to that, it will make a huge difference as long as your PC and Router have Gigabit network ports. (A lot of routers only have 10/100mb ones)

You can increase the Bitrate, but, I would say unless you have a great connection and a pretty good graphics card, you will want to actually reduce the bitrate. Higher isn't always better if your connection/GPU can't handle it.

Soldato
The Cat 5e cable between your router and your PC will make a huge difference!! Sorry, I should add a caveat to that, it will make a huge difference as long as your PC and Router have Gigabit network ports. (A lot of routers only have 10/100mb ones)

You can increase the Bitrate, but, I would say unless you have a great connection and a pretty good graphics card, you will want to actually reduce the bitrate. Higher isn't always better if your connection/GPU can't handle it.

That cable was already either 5e or 6 (e?). Just the one to the firestick that needed replacing. I do have gigabit ports.

I've actually put the bitrate at 60/70 I think, and it looks so much better, and still smooth. Have a 6700xt, so ATT shouldn't be killing it off. Except turning left doesn't always work... I'm wondering if that's my controller or some input lag effect. Need to test other games I guess, might pop into rec room later.

Soldato
After a chunk of time since the the release of VD and AL, are there now any recommended routers, more for line of sight distance (big roomscale), than overcoming building structures.

Associate
I strayed upon this post because I really would like to use a wireless connection for PC gaming on the Quest 2 but i've got a few technical issues.

The main one is that i'm using Unifi network equipment which doesn't support Wifi6. On top of that the gaming PC is also quite some distance from the nearest access point so the connection is hardly lightning fast.

I was contemplating getting a Wifi6 router like the TPLink AX1500 and then just connect it directly to the PC using an ethernet cable. However, as the router wouldn't also be connected to the internet I have no idea if it would work. Effectively the Wifi6 connection would only be used for sending the data to/from the headset and the existing wifi connection on the PC would be used for anything else (such as authenticating into Steam so I can launch locally installed games).

Would this sort of setup work? Getting a cable from where the gaming PC is to either of the routers in the house is problematic to say the least.

(I have a BT connection which gives me < 10mbps but is tied to a Sky TV package. We also have Virgin Media at 300mbps but the previous owners of the house had the installation terminate in an upstairs bedroom for some weird reason).

Soldato
I strayed upon this post because I really would like to use a wireless connection for PC gaming on the Quest 2 but i've got a few technical issues.

The main one is that i'm using Unifi network equipment which doesn't support Wifi6. On top of that the gaming PC is also quite some distance from the nearest access point so the connection is hardly lightning fast.

I was contemplating getting a Wifi6 router like the TPLink AX1500 and then just connect it directly to the PC using an ethernet cable. However, as the router wouldn't also be connected to the internet I have no idea if it would work. Effectively the Wifi6 connection would only be used for sending the data to/from the headset and the existing wifi connection on the PC would be used for anything else (such as authenticating into Steam so I can launch locally installed games).

Would this sort of setup work? Getting a cable from where the gaming PC is to either of the routers in the house is problematic to say the least.

(I have a BT connection which gives me < 10mbps but is tied to a Sky TV package. We also have Virgin Media at 300mbps but the previous owners of the house had the installation terminate in an upstairs bedroom for some weird reason).

First of all, don't get the TP Link, they are problematic with the Quest 2. Also, you don't need Wifi 6 for the Quest 2 if you are using it as a dedicated router for the Quest 2.

But, you are on the right track, a dedicated router will give you a better VR experience than using the main home router. Any decent AC/AX router will work. IF you want a recommendation, the Asus AX55 is pretty good. But if you have a budget, a cheaper Asus AC router will be just as good.

As for running a cable, have you tried powerline adapters? If laying a network cable is impossible these are your next best option.

The only thing I am not sure of is how the wireless connection on your PC will work with the Quest 2 in that scenario. I haven't tried that myself, but have read people say that it's great and people say it's terrible.

Associate
I use powerline adapters to connect my computer to my Honor 3 WiFi 6 router in a different room for the Quest 2. I get a solid 1200mhz connection.

Soldato
Has anyone tried using BT Whole Home WiFi with a Quest 2?

I think it claims to deliver HD streaming in every room, but is that enough for VR? Would it need to be the more expensive BT Whole Home Wi-Fi 6, or is that still not a good solution?

Currently I'm connecting straight to the router (BT Smart Hub 2) from an adjacent room, but I may need to move my VR gaming activities further away.

Soldato
Has anyone tried using BT Whole Home WiFi with a Quest 2?

I think it claims to deliver HD streaming in every room, but is that enough for VR? Would it need to be the more expensive BT Whole Home Wi-Fi 6, or is that still not a good solution?

Currently I'm connecting straight to the router (BT Smart Hub 2) from an adjacent room, but I may need to move my VR gaming activities further away.

Your PC would still have to physically connected to one of the BT home discs. A wireless connection between your PC and the router won't work well for the Quest 2.

If that isn't a problem, then I would get the Wifi 6 version since it will be used by everyone in the house. Wifi 6 is better for handling multiple connections with lower latency.

Are you still going to be using the BT smart Hub as your main router? Or BT whole home going to be replacing that as well? If the BT smart hub isn't been used, then you could use it as an access point for the Quest 2. Might be another option for you.

Soldato
Your PC would still have to physically connected to one of the BT home discs. A wireless connection between your PC and the router won't work well for the Quest 2.

If that isn't a problem, then I would get the Wifi 6 version since it will be used by everyone in the house. Wifi 6 is better for handling multiple connections with lower latency.

Are you still going to be using the BT smart Hub as your main router? Or BT whole home going to be replacing that as well? If the BT smart hub isn't been used, then you could use it as an access point for the Quest 2. Might be another option for you.

My PC is wired to the BT Smart Hub. My understanding is that the Smart Hub stays and the BT Whole Home WiFi discs are added to provide extended coverage. I contacted BT and the person I spoke with said this will be ideal for wireless VR, but then he is presumably there to sell BT products! He didn't mention WiFi 6 as an option, although outside of my VR gaming, most of the time there isn't a lot of other WiFi usage going on.

Soldato
My PC is wired to the BT Smart Hub. My understanding is that the Smart Hub stays and the BT Whole Home WiFi discs are added to provide extended coverage. I contacted BT and the person I spoke with said this will be ideal for wireless VR, but then he is presumably there to sell BT products! He didn't mention WiFi 6 as an option, although outside of my VR gaming, most of the time there isn't a lot of other WiFi usage going on.

Yes, Your PC is wired to the BT Smart hub now and your Quest 2 connects to your PC through the hub. However, if you get the BT Whole Home Wifi, your Quest 2 won't be connecting to the Smart Hub, it will be connecting to the closest Whole Home disc which will then be wirelessly connecting to the hub and then going back to your PC. It might introduce a lot of latency.

So if you get the Whole home system, you will have to run a cable connection between your PC and the closest disc to your Quest 2 play space. But, how good it is will really depend on how capable the individual discs are in the Mesh setup.

The guy in BT was probably talking about Wireless standalone VR, not Wireless PCVR.

Soldato

I've got the BT Superhub (v2) and I used it with my Quest 1 no problems. Tomorrow I'm going to try out the Quest 2 and get it setup for the kids. I dont have the Whole Home WIFI product but I do have one of the Wifi Discs (black one not white) which I kept when my last BT trial was done (I`m a BT triallist) so it will be interesting to see how it all works tomorrow. My computer is upstairs above the lounge, the wifi disc is in the lounge hard wired to the superhub (you can connect them wirelessly) and my PC is connected to the Superhub.

So I`ll probably try it upstairs first then try it in the lounge where the disc is. Just need to check each time what my speed is and what I'm connected to. Before when I had the Quest 1 I didnt have the wifi disc I was getting about 300Mbps upstairs and 500-800 Mbps downstairs be interesting to see what happens.

Soldato
But, you are on the right track, a dedicated router will give you a better VR experience than using the main home router. Any decent AC/AX router will work. IF you want a recommendation, the Asus AX55 is pretty good. But if you have a budget, a cheaper Asus AC router will be just as good.

How do you actually set it up with your PC is it just wired to a 2nd network card in your PC then used as an Access Point for the Quest 2 ?

Soldato
How do you actually set it up with your PC is it just wired to a 2nd network card in your PC then used as an Access Point for the Quest 2 ?

It's simple, you take the network cable out of your computer that's coming from the main home router. You plug that cable into a lan port on the dedicated router for the Quest 2. You plug a second network cable into another lan port on the dedicated router and connect it to your computer.

Now set the dedicated quest 2 router up as an access point. Setup a 5Ghz SSID for the Quest 2.

Then go play :)

Soldato
It's simple, you take the network cable out of your computer that's coming from the main home router. You plug that cable into a lan port on the dedicated router for the Quest 2. You plug a second network cable into another lan port on the dedicated router and connect it to your computer.

Now set the dedicated quest 2 router up as an access point. Setup a 5Ghz SSID for the Quest 2.

Then go play :)

Yeah thought it might be something like that thanks. Just looking at the AX55 only £90 at the moment. I will wait and see how it goes with my existing setup first then consider a dedicated router.

Back
Top Bottom