New essential Android apps thread

Caporegime
Android Chrome update (Tab Grid/Tab Groups) is horrible - why Google's devs feel that changing something that has worked fine since android 1.0 (card view) is acceptable I have no idea.

As of the latest version it's not even revert-able via Flags :(

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1214806
Hate it, starting to feel like an old fuddy duddy - I just don't get it. I don't ******* want tab groups, I just want additional tabs. Recent fixes get patched as well.

Associate
The tab groups are an odd one. I don't hate them, but I really don't see the need for them and if I had the choice to disable them I would. It's like adding an extra layer of complexity because 'innovation'.

Soldato
They don't want people to check for updates. I wouldn't mind if it actually auto updated apps more often, I find it only does this over night when it's on the charger. But during the morning there's usually a bunch more updates to do anyway...

I miss the slide out menu -> updates option, it was so much more quicker and simpler.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I've now switched fully to Samsung Pay and enabled Samsung Pay+ which allows me to add my Barclays debit card even though Barclays don't support Google or Samsung Pay. Samsung Pay+ allows you to add any bank card whether supported by the bank or not. You get a physical Samsung Pay+ card in the post, and a virtual one. It's all linked to Curve and you add your cards via the curve app and manage your cashback stuff there too. Just pay with Pay+ via the Samsung Pay app as normal and it's all integrated nicely it seems.

Samsung Pay also says that Pay+ has no £45 limit in shops anywhere and is virtually unlimited when paying with your Pay+ card.

Soldato
When I swapped from my S10 to an S21, my Google Pay stopped working for 6 months, so had to use Samsung Pay for a while, worked 100% of the time but god I was sick of the adverts that popped up in the app during, especially adverts trying to sell me products (Galaxy Watch) I already own, connected to the same bloody phone - baffling! Switched back to Google Pay as soon as it started working again

Caporegime
Google pay FTW!

Stopped using samsung pay a good year or so ago now.

Only samsung apps I use these days which doesn't have any ads anyway is the gallery and camera app plus their browser (with adblock installed)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Got my Samsung Pay card now!

samsung-pay_1.jpg
samsung-pay_2.jpg

Not sure what world elite means, looks cool? :p

So far bought a few things using the card and all seems to work well. Can see transactions in the curve app etc. I only have my Barclays debit card added to it which is fine. Samsung Pay app is now just pretty much Samsung Pay+ (Barclays) and my credit card.

I guess this now locks me into Samsung phones from here on lol which is fine.

Got my Samsung Pay card now!

samsung-pay_1.jpg
samsung-pay_2.jpg

Not sure what world elite means, looks cool? :p

So far bought a few things using the card and all seems to work well. Can see transactions in the curve app etc. I only have my Barclays debit card added to it which is fine. Samsung Pay app is now just pretty much Samsung Pay+ (Barclays) and my credit card.

I guess this now locks me into Samsung phones from here on lol which is fine.

Things are coming full circle. Phones replaced cards, now you're getting cards from phone companies to replace your phone :p

Looks cool though with no numbers on it.

Back
Top Bottom