*** Sky Q Thread ***

Associate
When we got Sky Q, the installer stayed until it showed as he'd said it sometime has issues. Didn't take long and off he went, all fine.

Sounds like some installers are better than others.
Oh yes, there are a lot of terrible installers. The guy who installed ours was fine with changing the LNB on the dish but didn't have a clue what he was doing when it came to the Q box itself. I had to show him how to connect it up!
The current issue is with Sky's activation servers - it's not connecting properly with viewing cards, therefore leading to many, many disgruntled posts on the Sky Community forums over the past few weeks.

Soldato
I did have a look last night once I discovered it wasn't working. Seemed like it's a fairly common issue.

To be fair to Sky, the lady I spoke to earlier did everything she could and I have an engineer call at 4.30pm this afternoon.

Soldato
This is a very well known issue that's been going on for months. Many people have had the same issue. Sky need to re-send the activation signal to your viewing card - it sometimes takes several attempts to get it working though. Keep hassling them and they should eventually fix it.
Yet more abysmal service from Sky.

I cancelled my cancellation yesterday and lost access to all HD content, however one quick phone call and all sorted so not all bad.

As an aside I cancelled Sky Q last week, switched to virgin TV as had their broadband already, but couldn't get on with virgin TV and switched back to sky yesterday. Now paying £19 less per month overall (TV & BB) and gained sky cinema in the process. That's me done for the next 18 months.

Soldato
Hi Peeps

My Sky Q box seems borked. I've followed the online tutorials and forced a software update but an hour afterwards it's still stuck on the blue boot up scree where it says press home when the screen goes blank. It's had that problem for a few days and was very buggy beforehand.

Am I correct in thinking SkyQ equipment is owned by Sky so if the box is borked they replace it? Thought I'd check before I rang customer support.

Soldato
Hi Peeps

My Sky Q box seems borked. I've followed the online tutorials and forced a software update but an hour afterwards it's still stuck on the blue boot up scree where it says press home when the screen goes blank. It's had that problem for a few days and was very buggy beforehand.

Am I correct in thinking SkyQ equipment is owned by Sky so if the box is borked they replace it? Thought I'd check before I rang customer support.

Yep, just give them a call and explain the issue, they should just swap it out for you.

Soldato
Umm, my Sky Q has suddenly started blocking/freezing intermittently.

Been absolutely fine then suddenly, this afternoon whilst watching the golf, it started stuttering. When it happens it's a brief interruption of sound with visible blocking/artifacting/stuttering. Sometimes worse than others.

Sometimes I can watch for half an hour or more without problems, other times it happens every 15-20 seconds. Appears to be on all channels.

I've done all the rebooting malarky to no avail, is it time to book an engineer visit? All I can think is the box has suddenly developed a fault, maybe the hard drive is on the way out or something?

Anyone had this before?

Soldato
Umm, my Sky Q has suddenly started blocking/freezing intermittently.

Been absolutely fine then suddenly, this afternoon whilst watching the golf, it started stuttering. When it happens it's a brief interruption of sound with visible blocking/artifacting/stuttering. Sometimes worse than others.

Sometimes I can watch for half an hour or more without problems, other times it happens every 15-20 seconds. Appears to be on all channels.

I've done all the rebooting malarky to no avail, is it time to book an engineer visit? All I can think is the box has suddenly developed a fault, maybe the hard drive is on the way out or something?

Anyone had this before?

Signal still all good? If so, contact Sky and they’ll probably just get the box swapped out.

Soldato
Signal still all good? If so, contact Sky and they’ll probably just get the box swapped out.

Yeah strength 70, quality 90.

I posted on the Sky forum last night too and, on further investigation this morning, it looks like this may have been a general broadcast issue as others have been reporting similar issues.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah strength 70, quality 90.

I posted on the Sky forum last night too and, on further investigation this morning, it looks like this may have been a general broadcast issue as others have been reporting similar issues.
Getting a lot of this today whilst watching the football on the mini box as well really starting to get annoying.

Associate
After losing my satellite signal for a short period this evening, everything seems back to normal. However, a program called ZOO is currently on sky sports cricket HD. Not sure this is correct.:p Anyone seeing this? I was watching the Fletcher years.

Soldato
My discounts are being reduced a tiny bit from Nov, but signed up for a year in Apr. Normally they have Apr rises.
Probably had an email, never read them much though, as mostly junk.
Anyone else have this?

Associate
My discounts are being reduced a tiny bit from Nov, but signed up for a year in Apr. Normally they have Apr rises.
Probably had an email, never read them much though, as mostly junk.
Anyone else have this?
Yes, similar rises in Nov, but I'm shortly out of contract too, so will have to go through the annual retentions merry-go-round :rolleyes:

Soldato
Sky Q box HDD died yesterday, ordered replacement last night and been delivered already and a free upgrade to the HDR box.

Lost all recordings and having to build planner back up with recordings is a little annoying, would hope that the recording planner links are linked to your Sky account these days to sync against a new box.

Back
Top Bottom