My Mate's CV, do I say something?

Associate
Too late, when I downloaded it I thought he was asking for help so said "Yes it downloaded but some of the grammar needs sorting out".
He said he was happy with the grammar :(
I would probably reply to that with something around the lines of:
"While you may be happy with how it looks, an employer isn't going to be happy with it. If you seriously want a job, then I can help you make it look more like what current employers would want to see."

Would his partner be happy with you showing him the CV you worked on with them as an example of what might look better?

Man of Honour
OP
I would probably reply to that with something around the lines of:
"While you may be happy with how it looks, an employer isn't going to be happy with it. If you seriously want a job, then I can help you make it look more like what current employers would want to see."

Would his partner be happy with you showing him the CV you worked on with them as an example of what might look better?

I'll be with them tomorrow for a curry, if something is mentioned I'll tell his partner to ask if they can see his CV.
I know Dan will be gobsmacked if he reads it.

Caporegime
Being brutal, even no matter how recieved is ultimatly being the better friend. Your doing it out of goodness and not to put them down. It probably won't be recieved that way.

Maybe re-write and send it back to him with a "I had a bit of a move around, and stuff - hope you don't mind". Then maybe a "I think we could improve it further, let me know and we can work on it". Or words to those affect, he might see a slightly revamped one and want to improve it. Then at least they'll feel like it's their idea.

Soldato
This reminds me of my brothers ex who asked me to have a look at her CV which I agreed. It was 13 pages long and had worse grammar than the OP and a lot less substance!

Soldato
Being brutal, even no matter how recieved is ultimatly being the better friend. Your doing it out of goodness and not to put them down. It probably won't be recieved that way.

Maybe re-write and send it back to him with a "I had a bit of a move around, and stuff - hope you don't mind". Then maybe a "I think we could improve it further, let me know and we can work on it". Or words to those affect, he might see a slightly revamped one and want to improve it. Then at least they'll feel like it's their idea.
i before e except after c, except for a handful of exceptions. You did it three times. I don't care how you receive this advice as I am being the better friend, out of goodness, and not to put you down.

Caporegime
i before e except after c, except for a handful of exceptions. You did it three times. I don't care how you receive this advice as I am being the better friend, out of goodness, and not to put you down.

Thanks, thankfully it was an ocuk post and not my cv. I also used your incorrectly too. Probably an a too.

Caporegime
It's possible he's created it in some ancient version of MS Word or even wordpad and the formatting is now all wrong when loaded up into a modern text editor. They usually recommend saving it as a PDF so the formatting remains consistent.

Soldato
If he genuinely wants to you to review his CV, then you have to be honest - it's crap. But you also have to ask, is he genuinely looking for work or does he just want your confirmation the CV is ok - much like women want confirmation that their bum does not look big in that dress when in fact they look like the back end of a hippo.

It also depends on how much time and effort you want to devote to someone elses CV. To do a decent job, that is going to take time!

I'm military, so tact is not something i'm big on, "Mate, your CV is dog toffee, i'll have a crack at it if you want me to?"

Man of Honour
OP
A miracle has happened.
After his partner uploaded his CV he had around 5 immediate responses, he went to one workplace to look around and accepted the job saying it sounds perfect.
They asked if he knew anybody else he would recommend and they've taken both of them on.
When we got to their house they were both filling their resignation letters in.
Now here's the funny thing, his partner was doing it on the computer properly and my mate was using an A5 piece of paper ripped off the page so all the horrible holes were showing at the top.
He just wrote:

As of September 10th I will be leaving wkr which will be a weeks notice.

Malc Leese

(not his real name)

Last edited:
Soldato
A miracle has happened.
After his partner uploaded his CV he had around 5 immediate responses, he went to one workplace to look around and accepted the job saying it sounds perfect.
They asked if he knew anybody else he would recommend and they've taken both of them on.
When we got to their house they were both filling their resignation letters in.
Now here's the funny thing, his partner was doing it on the computer properly and my mate was using an A5 piece of paper ripped off the page so all the horrible holes were showing at the top.
He just wrote:

As of September 10th I will be leaving wkr which will be a weeks notice.

Malc Leese

(not his real name)

Brilliant!

Hopefully within the next week or so I'll be able to write my own resignation letter. Only been there 5 months and its not bad but another opportunity came up 3 months in which was just too good not to pursue. Leaves the team I am in down to 3 people - should be 7! Eeek! My line manager had 4 people under him a month ago and soon may only have 2.

Man of Honour
OP
Brilliant!

Hopefully within the next week or so I'll be able to write my own resignation letter. Only been there 5 months and its not bad but another opportunity came up 3 months in which was just too good not to pursue. Leaves the team I am in down to 3 people - should be 7! Eeek! My line manager had 4 people under him a month ago and soon may only have 2.

Some people deserve it for how they treat people.
We have now heard that the company they're leaving want everyone in tomorrow for another meeting obviously to beg them to stay because so many are leaving because of the shift pattern they are putting on them.
They worked 6am to 2pm every day Mon to Fri but the company insisted that they want 12 hour days 4 days on, 4 days off and some have already left.

Man of Honour
OP
Depends on the lie really. I mean, i would not put down firefighting experience , but might exaggerate a few things here and there.

Also cgrts to your mate OP

Don't 50% of people lie on their CV or something like that?

Yes, they both start next Monday on the new job.

Something I didn't mention (thought I did) was that he had got his Brother In Law two jobs over the last 10 years at the same places he worked at.
His Brother In Law does a small white van driving job taking stuff around and they needed someone else so my mate said give them my name.
The piece of turd (I don't like him) said I'd never recommend anybody for a job :eek: Unbelievable, I hope he never speaks to him again.
I think my mate tried for the job with that CV above.

Back
Top Bottom