First time watercooler - spec + questions

V F

V F

Soldato
I've not been seeing any complaints with any distro plate with 60mm radiators as far back as 2018. Including Reddit.

Associate
It is just 4 screws and very simple, I think it came with the correct alan key but not 100% certain. I also got a heatsink at the same time so fitted that as well and that had its own screws and heatpad so iirc they were the ones that attached all the way through to the distro plate.

Soldato
OP
It is just 4 screws and very simple, I think it came with the correct alan key but not 100% certain. I also got a heatsink at the same time so fitted that as well and that had its own screws and heatpad so iirc they were the ones that attached all the way through to the distro plate.

Great thanks.

4.2 pre-ordered.

Associate
Hmm, is 16mm too big or perfect for the Quantum D5 distro plate?

guess this depends on the fittings used. Vaguely remember a thread on here where a user mentioned 16mm wouldn't work as the ports were too close together so the fitting would rub

Associate
I had issues with 16mm Alphacool fittings being just too chunky for a lot of spots including the G1 distro plate. Once I got some 16mm EK fittings they all seemed to fit ok. The ports look to be the same distance apart on the Quantum reflection as the G1 so upto 16mm should be fine but is best to check with EK or someone who has used the Quantum distro plate.

Associate
Most CPU blocks perform very closely to each other so you are mainly choosing on looks and price.

I have a velocity block in the garage I didn't use. I did not like the way it attaches but it did look nice.

Associate
It's not like EK are providing additional features or functionality for the substantial price hike. That means they're selling purely on their name and aesthetics, which brings it down to personal choice.

I certainly wouldn't want to buy an EK block for an FE card at £240 odd when I can pay nearly half that and get the same performance from another manufacturer.

V F

V F

Soldato
It's not like EK are providing additional features or functionality for the substantial price hike. That means they're selling purely on their name and aesthetics, which brings it down to personal choice.

I certainly wouldn't want to buy an EK block for an FE card at £240 odd when I can pay nearly half that and get the same performance from another manufacturer.

I guess that is the reason for the huge price spike for RGB. That was why I went for the €68 block. Granted the logo glowing would have been sweet but not for €117 which was so sorely tempting.

Associate
I guess that is the reason for the huge price spike for RGB. That was why I went for the €68 block. Granted the logo glowing would have been sweet but not for €117 which was so sorely tempting.
Competitors offer RGB and backplates too... I'm not letting EK get away with that as an excuse :p

V F

V F

Soldato
Slowly getting the parts. EK Velocity CPU block, front D5 distro plate and 60MM XE arrived today.

The only issue I can see is I'm going to go for the Black Ice radiator for the floor but will have to dremel the last PCI slot out. As in a tiny little lip with the screw area that's maybe 1.3mm jotting out. The radiator is 2.9mm thick. The distro plate is 2.8mm thick. With the Black Ice radiator it would leave 0.5mm below the pump.

This would be the reason this fella went with a 240mm radiator. As that massive gap would drive my OCD insane.
https://www.reddit.com/r/watercooli...n_li_o11_ekwb_front_distroplate_watercooling/

Originally, I ordered the EKWB 360 mm PE rad, but sadly it didn't fit in the O11D case with this front distroplate (quantum reflection pc-o11d). In other words you can only fit a 240mm radiator in the bottom of the std. size case else you will need to buy the LIAN LI O11D XL.

Also found a much better more adjustable GPU riser kit.

[Edit] Yep, this is a dead PCI slot on the case. I'll dremel it out as it doesn't line up with the last PCI-E slot. Which will allow the 360mm radiator to sit in flush.

bykski make one, available from China

While old post, the plate arrived today. Lovely looking piece. It came with thermal pads and paste.

Last edited:
Soldato

With EKs prices you could be forgiven for thinking that everything they make tops the performance charts of all reviews

Back
Top Bottom