Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
Let’s just hope he can keep Lewis honest. Prior to this season Mercedes dominated has dominated for while now, at least for a few seasons Nico and Lewis gave us a good show at the front. As soon as Nico left it was Lewis’ to lose until this year it seems.

Caporegime
Jack Russell needs some time to mature in a high pressure environment. I think it's foolish to expect him to jump in the Merc and be sticking it P1/P2 consistently without errors.

He's got the raw pace to do that (as Bahrain 2020 showed) but doing it consistently when a championship rival is breathing down your neck or when the tyres aren't working how you expect will be the test of his true character.

I hope he does hit the ground running but the worst thing the press and/or the public can do it hype him up to the point that it puts insane pressure on the guy and he cracks.
I worry that he still has the capacity to make a mistake in him, as he’s shown this season and last season. How much if that is overdriving knowing he has to push the car up to and at times beyond it’s limit to be quick is another question entirely. Perhaps with a better car that limit can be much higher so doesn’t require so much from him, but only time will tell.

Soldato
^ Probably part of the agreement with Honda for taking over the PU assets, engineers and IP for the next 3 years. Whether it's contractually binding is another matter, but given the massive pace and result difference between Tsnoda and Gasly I can't imagine any other reason why he'd be kept on.

I don't know where Russell will come in against Hamilton. It's a completely new car so assuming they both get roughly equal testing mileage Hamilton shouldn't have any real advantage knowing the little nuances of past Mercedes.

Russell is hardly a rookie now either. He will be in his fourth season in F1. At that stage in Hamilton's career he'd won 11 races, fought for three drivers championships, winning one and would be challenging for a third time in his fourth season.

Hamilton was very much an exception in being given the keys to the best car for his rookie season and with complete support from 1/3 of the way into it. But Russell knows what it takes to win races - he dominated a very good field in F2 (comfortably beating the likes of Norris, Albon and de Vries), and should have won in Sakhir bar Mercedes bolting on Bottas's tyres, then a puncture on his own set.

Hamilton is a great, but isn't unbeatable. Alonso tied on points with him despite Dennis hating him since Monaco, Button beat him over their three seasons together and Rosberg managed to beat him in 2016, though the mental effort needed was enough to finish off his F1 career.

Hamilton is now such a well-rounded driver that I doubt many will expect Russell to beat him in the championship, but providing the car is good enough then Russell ought to win two or three races - whether he can extend that to a championship battle in 2022 or 2023 only time will tell. There aren't many drivers in F1's modern history capable of relentless determination and consistency over a race distance, time after time. Schumacher had it, Alonso still looks to have it (though not as quick as his prime e.g. 2012), Hamilton has learnt it and Verstappen is showing signs too. That's what separated Hamilton from Rosberg and Bottas and it's something Russell will need to learn if he's to beat Hamilton in however long they've got together as teammates.

Jack Russell needs some time to mature in a high pressure environment. I think it's foolish to expect him to jump in the Merc and be sticking it P1/P2 consistently without errors.
Horrible Johnny Herbert flashback to repeatedly calling him Jack Russell during F2 commentary. It went on for several races.

Man of Honour

He's got the raw pace to do that (as Bahrain 2020 showed) but doing it consistently when a championship rival is breathing down your neck or when the tyres aren't working how you expect will be the test of his true character.

I hope he does hit the ground running but the worst thing the press and/or the public can do it hype him up to the point that it puts insane pressure on the guy and he cracks.

I have to agree; I personally think he could have done with a year or two in a better mid-field car to partly make the jump to Merc a little less "big" and also to give him more experience racing in the pack, etc with a decent car.
Massive pressure on him and we've seen him make mistakes under pressure already; next year could be exciting at Merc with possible fireworks between the two team-mates; and he wouldn't be the first young driver to move to the front of the grid and struggle initially.

Caporegime
^ Probably part of the agreement with Honda for taking over the PU assets, engineers and IP for the next 3 years. Whether it's contractually binding is another matter, but given the massive pace and result difference between Tsnoda and Gasly I can't imagine any other reason why he'd be kept on.

I don't think Honda did Tsunoda a favour by fast-tracking him into F1. He was very impressive in his rookie F2 season last year, and I suspect he'd be comfortably ahead had he stayed on for another season. Instead he's having a desperately disappointing season in F1. I still think he's a talented guy and with the levelling effect of the new regs perhaps he can rebuild next year, but given how ruthless we've seen Red Bull been in the past, I think he's lucky to be staying and some kind of deal - as you suggest - seems a decent explanation.

Hamilton is now such a well-rounded driver that I doubt many will expect Russell to beat him in the championship, but providing the car is good enough then Russell ought to win two or three races - whether he can extend that to a championship battle in 2022 or 2023 only time will tell.

I expect it to be a close run thing. Russell, I predict, will outqualify Hamilton over the season; but struggle to capitalise on that advantage in race trim. It's going to be fascinating to watch.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Tsunoda is incredibly lucky tbh. Every time I've heard him talk to the team on the radio it's always aggressive or rude.

Not to mention that he's not exactly been whiter than white, I am surprised Helmut hasn't found a way to bin him off already.

Ref Merc and Russell... I think it'll be the opposite. I see George being better in race trim than quali (at least initially). Hamilton has proven time and again that he's able to find time when it matters and whilst George has been great on Saturdays I don't see him hitting the ground that quickly that he's able to extract that missing 0.3s.

I hope I'm wrong though. It would be great to see another British driver pick up the mantle.

Caporegime
Tsunoda is incredibly lucky tbh. Every time I've heard him talk to the team on the radio it's always aggressive or rude.

Not to mention that he's not exactly been whiter than white, I am surprised Helmut hasn't found a way to bin him off already.
Some back office deal to keep him to grease the wheels of the Honda engine deal perhaps?

Soldato
I expect it to be a close run thing. Russell, I predict, will outqualify Hamilton over the season; but struggle to capitalise on that advantage in race trim. It's going to be fascinating to watch.
I think that's a reasonable expectation, and you're right, it will be good to see a fresh dynamic at the front.

A little like Vettel I think Hamilton lost some of his sheer pace with the move to the hybrids (and especially the bus-sized ones), but unlike Vettel he was able to adapt and develop new skills which more than make up for them (that relentless consistency).

Russell has plenty of time to develop such skills himself if he doesn't already possess them.

Soldato
Do RB have any other young drivers to bring up to Alpha Tauri?

I think Yuki deserves another season, he showed pace at the start (and before F1) but obviously made way too many mistakes. He has since then seemingly calmed down a bit and been making less mistakes, not exactly showing brilliant pace against a (imo) very good Gasly but still worth another season to see if he can bring the pace back without the mistakes...

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Teams likely won't want to bring a rookie into a major rule change season, they will want at least one experienced and adaptable driver and someone already used to F1 so they can focus on new variables. I think that has been the savior of Bottas not being put out to pasture. Unlike other older drivers on the grid he doesn't have a WDC to give him any clout, but I think he will bring a lot to Alfa.

Permabanned
Do RB have any other young drivers to bring up to Alpha Tauri?

I think Yuki deserves another season, he showed pace at the start (and before F1) but obviously made way too many mistakes. He has since then seemingly calmed down a bit and been making less mistakes, not exactly showing brilliant pace against a (imo) very good Gasly but still worth another season to see if he can bring the pace back without the mistakes...

I think that they will have to think outside the box... Albon has blown his chances with them.

Permabanned
Teams likely won't want to bring a rookie into a major rule change season, they will want at least one experienced and adaptable driver and someone already used to F1 so they can focus on new variables. I think that has been the savior of Bottas not being put out to pasture. Unlike other older drivers on the grid he doesn't have a WDC to give him any clout, but I think he will bring a lot to Alfa.

Alfa: I would like to see ‘Hulk’ with VB... talented driver who deserves a podium at least.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Alfa: I would like to see ‘Hulk’ with VB... talented driver who deserves a podium at least.
Giovinazzi
He's definitely quick but for a comeback I'd want him in a better seat (AT or McLaren). I'd have put him in the Alpine over Alonso but then I just can't stand Alonso :D

Giovinazzi has done well against Kimi, on Saturday at least. He was clearly out to prove himself this weekend, so maybe his seat is at risk (was only a year contract). It'll be interesting to see if Mick gets his seat and Giovinazzi moves to HAAS but I think HAAS want to keep him. Hopefully their pivot to focus on next year pays off and they can at least stick with the rest of the field :D

Permabanned
Giovinazzi
He's definitely quick but for a comeback I'd want him in a better seat (AT or McLaren). I'd have put him in the Alpine over Alonso but then I just can't stand Alonso :D

Giovinazzi has done well against Kimi, on Saturday at least. He was clearly out to prove himself this weekend, so maybe his seat is at risk (was only a year contract). It'll be interesting to see if Mick gets his seat and Giovinazzi moves to HAAS but I think HAAS want to keep him. Hopefully their pivot to focus on next year pays off and they can at least stick with the rest of the field :D

Haas need a Kubica... good development driver.

Soldato
What's Fernando up to? Alpine have already taken up their option on him for next year, but he's had articles coming out about him pretty much every week recently. The BBC has another one today. There were three on Autosport recently too and plenty in other places.

Back
Top Bottom