George Russell Qualifying

Associate
If he goes to Mercedes, he should go with the intention of showing Hamilton it's time to retire!

If he's prepared to just roll over and play lapdog, he'll never be a suitable replacement for Hamilton..

Last edited:
Caporegime
I doubt Russell would be happy playing wingman. All racing drivers have personal ambitions and none of them are to be 2nd best.

Hm, I would have thought it was every drivers ambition to secure a seat in one of the fastest cars? If that means being no.2 for a few years I'm sure he will take it nonetheless. He's obviously talented yet but isn't a proven race winner/champion.

He will need to show he can match (or even beat )Lewis in the same car consistently to display that he is the real deal.

Then Lewis retires or moves seats and he gets the no.1 spot.

There is no no.1 seat available to him in the top cars at the moment. Lewis and Max aren't just going to be ditched to make way for him so quickly.

Soldato
If he goes to Mercedes, he should go with the intention of showing Hamilton it's time to retire

If Hamilton has any sense it will be he who is retiring at the end of this year.
Yeah. The seven time world champion who is currently leading this year's world championship should definitely be on his way out. Totally past it mate.. lol.. :rolleyes: Hamilton hatred is strong as usual in these threads.

Personally I think Merc are torn because they probably see VB as the ideal no. 2 to Lewis. He's consistent enough to get them the constructors points - and whilst Lewis is winning the championships there's not really much more that VB as a no. 2 driver can do for them. Putting in a younger driver with delusions of grandeur and risk upsetting the status quo might be a total disaster. They also know full well that Russell will talk the talk with regards to being firmly in no. 2 whilst Lewis is around.. but once he gets in the car well who knows...

Soldato
Yeah. The seven time world champion who is currently leading this year's world championship should definitely be on his way out. Totally past it mate.. lol.. :rolleyes: Hamilton hatred is strong as usual in these threads.

No not because he's past it but because he'll be retiring at the top of his game.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

If Lewis was well ahead in the championship, I could see Merc announcing Russell ASAP but as things stand they can't afford to upset the apple cart (VB) and risk losing the WCC.

I'd sign Russell and keep him happy, move VB on to someone else with a golden handshake and let Lewis know that they're giving the up and coming talent a punt (as McLaren did for him). If Lewis doesn't want to take the gamble in 2022 with the new aero regs he'll retire as 8x WDC and if the Merc is a dog then he saves face. If he stays and the car is a dog he risks being beaten by Russell and everyone else jumping on the "it was the car all along" bandwagon... I don't think he wants that.

Soldato
but as things stand they can't afford to upset the apple cart (VB) and risk losing the WCC.
Yeah thats a really good point. I'm guessing they can't secretly sign Russell (just to get it done) and risk an even bigger reaction from VB! I can't imagine Russell wants to go anywhere else but if all he has from Merc is a verbal 'offer' and he instead gets presented with (dunno) a contract with £XXXs from another team then who knows? I can't see how he'd be interested in any other team bar Ferrari or RB and neither of those will be changing will they?

Associate
I don't think Hamiltons "past-it"

I don't know if Russell can beat him

But he should at least try! And "IF" he succeeds, what does Hamilton have to gain from playing second fiddle?

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think Hamiltons "past-it"

I don't know if Russell can beat him

But he should at least try! And "IF" he succeeds, what does Hamilton have to gain from playing second fiddle?
You insinuated it's time for Hamilton to retire in your earlier post? I was questioning why exactly, considering he's a 7 time world champion currently leading this year's championship. It doesn't make sense. Sure, if Russell joins Mercedes and walks all over him then perhaps he could consider it. But that's like people saying right now that Verstappen is the greatest driver who ever lived (lol) and Hamilton should give up now :confused:

Associate
OP
If Lewis was well ahead in the championship, I could see Merc announcing Russell ASAP but as things stand they can't afford to upset the apple cart (VB) and risk losing the WCC.

I'd sign Russell and keep him happy, move VB on to someone else with a golden handshake and let Lewis know that they're giving the up and coming talent a punt (as McLaren did for him). If Lewis doesn't want to take the gamble in 2022 with the new aero regs he'll retire as 8x WDC and if the Merc is a dog then he saves face. If he stays and the car is a dog he risks being beaten by Russell and everyone else jumping on the "it was the car all along" bandwagon... I don't think he wants that.

Russell will play ball for year 1 for sure (he wouldnt make all those noises if he didnt intend to) but IF he impresses a LOT vs Lewis then for year 2 all bets might be off

Soldato
Don't get all this talk about #2 drivers. I honestly don't think Merc have ever played it like that... Bottas has always been on level pegs until it's become crystal clear who needs their backing. In russell goes there and is behind ham in qualy and 15 seconds off the pace in the race then he's #2. If he beats Ham in qualy and the race and is ahead in the drivers champ, do you think merc would really give Ham new parts if they've only got one? I doubt it.

Soldato
Don't get all this talk about #2 drivers. I honestly don't think Merc have ever played it like that... Bottas has always been on level pegs until it's become crystal clear who needs their backing. In russell goes there and is behind ham in qualy and 15 seconds off the pace in the race then he's #2. If he beats Ham in qualy and the race and is ahead in the drivers champ, do you think merc would really give Ham new parts if they've only got one? I doubt it.
Spot on.

Who knows maybe Merc will produce a bog standard car next year and both drivers will be driving for minor places, maybe one of the lower teams can do a Brawn.....ok unlikely.

Soldato
Except that it's not because it's using the 200m circuit timing loop, the onboard footage, and possibly the GPS data from the cars to get their exact positions.

The AWS stats are all based on algorithms containing static data with a massive fudge factor in them which is why they're absolutely useless.

Soldato
You are saying that random due on Youtube has access to the circuit data, plus car GPS data to make that.

The last time we had one of these it was already said that it wasn't accurate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom