4k 144hz Worth It? NEED HELP!!

Associate
I have built a pc recently I use to always played on console so brought a 4k 60hz monitor before I even thought of building a pc but now I hear so many people saying about refresh rate is a game changer and was wonder if its worth buying 4k 144hz LG Monitor Or if it would be worth buying a good 1080p/1440p with high refresh rate and wait for prices of 4k 144hz monitors to go down?
I mostly play FPS and got a 3080
Any Help Would Be Great

Associate
I wouldn't say a high refresh is a "game changer", but it's certainly a noticeable improvement in smoothness. Everyone seems to register how much of an improvement differently. For me, I prefer color accuracy and DPI over high refresh, if given the choice i.e.I'd take a 4k 60hz monitor over a 144hz 1440p monitor (if all other things e.g. panel type are the same). You may be different, especially if you play FPSs where high refresh is important.

A 4k 144hz monitor is the ideal (IPS, of course), but as you say, are still expensive.

Can you trial run a monitor with a high refresh monitor next to a 60hz monitor?

Soldato
I have one of the early 4k 144 Hz monitors - I actually run it at 120 Hz and running at over 60 Hz is very nice. I'll echo @Captain_Bosh about the jump to 90 Hz. I'm over 50 and anything over 100 Hz is pretty much the same for me.

Associate
I'd go with the best you can get if the price difference isn't too much. I've been kicking myself before when I didn't as my monitor became the bottleneck after gfx card upgrades, but the monitor still had years of life left in it. You can always run it at a lower res for the games where you prefer a higher refresh.

Associate
The problem is there are no complete good uhd (not 4k ;) ) 144 hz monitors out there. Only used with a huge panel lottery.

The X27(P) is good and has suitable overdrive across the whole adaptive range. If you get a flawless panel and slow down the fan speed via factory menu. Or you remove the fan and put a 92 mm Noctua fan on the back together with a 92 mm shroud for decreasing air turbulence/noises (here for you use a 92mm frame of a cheap 92 mm fan) on the noctua fan and put them between monitor case and the vesa adapter while using a monitor arm. For power and speed control you can use an external with 4 pin molex connector and the Noctua NA-FC 1 fan control. I did this mod for my X27. I was nearly silent.

But "only" 120 hz with 8 bit color depth.

If the panel is too slow it cant achieve more. So it's irrelevant. None of the uhd panels are fast for doing more across all transitions.

Newer models like the XB323QKNV and FI32U are slow and overloaded with blb and ips glow and have no worth mentioning hdr performance, mostly worse than sdr. The FI32U (same panel as XB323QNKV) has coil whine @ "hdr" and awful overdrive with much overshoot, especially below 100 hz.

The 27GN950 has loud, whining fans and a absolute awful grainy anti glare coating. Wouldnt touch it.

Last edited:
Associate
I wouldn't say a high refresh is a "game changer", but it's certainly a noticeable improvement in smoothness.
This ^^

I ran a 4k60 monitor since 2015 and recently (June) upgraded to 4k144. It is an decent improvement but isn't the same as say going from 1080p to 1440p or 4k panel. There is a difference but not night and day. With that said, if you play competitive fps titles on anything more than a casual basis i'd say it is well worth the upgrade. I found the reduced latency is noticeable if you can push the fps up to the panel limit.

Associate
The RTX 3080 vram could be not enough. I bought RTX 3090 for using ultra hd. You could get it for free, with 1 - 2 sold RTX 3080 Founders Editions for example if the shortage was at peak :D.

Associate
Oh, very old Innolux 28" tn panel. I think everything would be better in terms of picture quality. Which monitor is suitable depends on your budget and how much panel lottery do you want play.

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
I play mostly warzone atm do you think It would be worth just getting 1440p with high refresh rates for half the price and waiting a couple of years for 4k to come down is it really just a waste of money for gaming?

Associate
You should consider Lg is using for their 27" uhd 144 hz panels an ugly heavy ag coating which is destroying the sharpness. It's very uncomfortable for your eyes. I hope Philips ordered another coating for their monitor.

I don't understand why LG is using this ugly coating with crystaline look for this panel. They have such a good coating with only a little haze for their 27" uhd 60 hz panels.
Maybe the executive who decided it is a total noob.

1440p is nothing special in terms of sharpness. But better if you get a 1440p monitor with a light ag coating as this mess.

Coating of LG 27" 144 hz uhd panels:

https://www.prad.de/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/lg-27gn950-coating.png

Coating of LG 27GP850:

https://www.prad.de/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/lg-27gp850-coating-350x263.png

You could buy the Gigabyte M28U. It has not so fast response times but no excessively grainy coating. And very important no cheap fans which are making annoying noises.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Newer models like the XB323QKNV and FI32U are slow and overloaded with blb and ips glow and have no worth mentioning hdr performance, mostly worse than sdr. The FI32U (same panel as XB323QNKV) has coil whine @ "hdr" and awful overdrive with much overshoot, especially below 100 hz.

Am personally gonna wait for a better 32" 4k/144 monitor to show up, the two so far haven't seemed to be great at all. I think ultimately that a 28" won't be big enough.

Associate
I tested the M28U today. Had ordered it as an possibility if the PG32UQX would be affected with qc issues again.

First of all it had no pixel failures or dust/dirt inside panel or below the ag coating. I'm really impressed from Innolux. Much better than Samsung, AUO or Sharp in terms of qc.

But the big problem with this monitor are the slow response times. Worlds behind my X34GS in terms of motion clarity. The ufotest showed it. X34GS very clear motion, M28U smeary.

Also the monitor has pretty annoying coilwhine read on newegg in the user reviews also. Strobing is a joke, much crosstalk. Unuseable.

The coating is fine. Overshoot is below 100 hz very noticeable. Even if overdrive is turned "off" (is it not really off, otherwise there would be no overshoot). False discribed option.

The blb/ips glow (yellow/orange) is very noticeable in pitch black room. Even if i decrease the brightness to 35 %.

Also the panel has some color tints. Red, yellow and blue and the illumination is showing some significant darker areas.

I saw this monitor in Germany for arround 500 Euros one time. I wouldn't pay more. Too many significant cons.

Last edited:
Soldato
I play mostly warzone atm do you think It would be worth just getting 1440p with high refresh rates for half the price and waiting a couple of years for 4k to come down is it really just a waste of money for gaming?

Personally I think that high refresh + gsync is a game changer especially in games like warzone. Tried WZ on my old 28" 2160p 60hz and while it looked great from a sharpness pov it felt awful trying to play it at 60hz :p

Ultimately up to you to decide on high refresh 2160p vs 1440p - I am using a 120Hz '4K' TV but I wouldn't mind checking out some of the 240hz 1440p screens.

Back
Top Bottom