Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

Soldato
It's Marvel, it's by the numbers / same film different characters, you know this already but you'll probably watch it anyway as it's like a bowl nutritionally void kids cereal lurking in your cupboard.

Funny recurring cameo and good fight choreography though.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
What a Hollywood debut for Tony Leung..He really made the role his own. Very clever the way Marvel/director introduced him into the MCU.

Was watching a Chinese TV interview with Tony and he explained
The vengeance scene was originally a much longer sequence with young Shang. It was cut despite it being more intense so let's hope we get to watch the full sequence if there a directors cut.

Last edited:
Associate
Wow. I just loved it. I'm so glad Tony Leung wasn't wasted, but was in fact one of the best parts of the movie by far, and has been getting a lot of deserved praise for his performance. Also fantastic fight choreography, which I'm sure was thanks largely to Brad Allen (RIP).

Wasn't perfect though.
Unfortunately they really lost grip of things in the final battle. I really wish they just focused it on Shang and his dad rather than big generic ugly demonic creature. All the creatures in the village harkening back to actual Chinese mythical creature designs was pretty cool though, especially the lion

Was watching a Chinese TV interview with Tony and he explained
The vengeance scene was originally a much longer sequence with young Shang. It was cut despite it being more intense so let's hope we get to watch the full sequence if there a directors cut.

That scene was one of my favourite scenes in the entire movie. From the trailer, I just thought "big bad Triad man with powerful rings, ok", but the back story to that scene is so much more than that. Really can't praise Tony enough for his conflicted portrayal of Wenwu.

Last edited:
Soldato
I saw it this afternoon. I wasn't as wowed as other posters here but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

The car advert is the pee-break.

And you absolutely need to stay for the credits.

Caporegime
Went tonight with my Laddie and both enjoyed it. Some really nice wire work and good choreography as well with few 'fast cuts'. As above you must stay for the end credits, there are two.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Went tonight with my Laddie and both enjoyed it. Some really nice wire work and good choreography as well with few 'fast cuts'. As above you must stay for the end credits, there are two.

Surprised you watched the movie, thought it would have been too violent for you :D

Soldato
Tempted to go see this but I'm far too old for this sitting through the credits nonsense. It's about time they got rid of that. :/

edit: it would be more tolerable if they turned down the sound because the music is usually deafening poop.

Soldato
Seems like my local Cineworld is massively cheaper than it was pre-lockdown. It always was at least 17 quid for the LIE-MAX screen but less than 12 now. Cool. :p

Caporegime
Tempted to go see this but I'm far too old for this sitting through the credits nonsense. It's about time they got rid of that. :/

edit: it would be more tolerable if they turned down the sound because the music is usually deafening poop.
The very end credits scene isn’t really worth staying for, it went exactly as I expected it to, but the mid credit scene is worth it as it plants a few seeds.

Associate
Don't really understand that myself. You've already handed over your money and sat there for 1 & 1/2 hours. Are you really gonna split hairs about staying an extra 5 minutes to see it to completion? That's like buying a drink and leaving a sip at the end for no reason.

Soldato
Went to watch this last night at Imax partly because of what was said in here and it did impress visually. Really enjoyed it, fight scenes were generally pretty good and had that crouching tiger vibe to them.

Soldato
I thought it was fantastic. For me his sister actually stole the show, she was great. Surprisingly for Marvel some parts of the CGI were a bit ropey (minor details rather than the big stuff). Would be happy to see a sequel.

Soldato
I thought it was awful, the secret world and ridiculous creatures just seemed at odds with the rest of the tone, almost fell asleep during these bits and the less said about the scouser in the basement the better. It started ok so was pretty disappointed with how it ended up.

Associate
the secret world and ridiculous creatures just seemed at odds with the rest of the tone

You mean the ridiculous creatures based on actual Chinese mythological creatures? In a movie which is filled with references to Chinese culture? Set in a universe where people conjure up transportation portals out of thin air and there's talking racoons and talking trees?

Back
Top Bottom