Sky TV for football stadiums?

Soldato
Hi all,
anyone know anything about having SkyHD pumped around a football stadium?

We currently have sky business (and they're useless). We have 3 10year old ancient boxes paired with 3 cards, so we only have 3 channels available to be changed at any of the 40+ screens we have around the stadium.
I'm looking for an updated solution that could maybe offer more. Each screen, wherever it may be needs the option to change channels to any within our subscription without it affecting what is playing on any other screen.
Historically it was one card per channel. I'm hoping that technology now exists that offers more.
Sky Business as i said are useless and i'm still awaiting some info from them. They charge a fortune for very little in return.

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
OP
in what way mate?
We have 3 function suites that get hired out for a multitude of purposes and as such not everyone wants sports on the TV. Why they'd want the TV on in the first place is beyond me, but there ya go!:rolleyes:

Don
So you want each of the 40 TVs to be able to change to one of three Sky TV channels without having to change anything on the Sky STB themselves?

Caporegime
You need to keep at them as they do offer their BrightBox and In-room services that would probably solve your problem.

40+ screens potentially showing 40+ different channels. Is that going to cost a lot more than the current three boxes/three different channels?

Soldato
Hi all,
anyone know anything about having SkyHD pumped around a football stadium?

We currently have sky business (and they're useless). We have 3 10year old ancient boxes paired with 3 cards, so we only have 3 channels available to be changed at any of the 40+ screens we have around the stadium.
I'm looking for an updated solution that could maybe offer more. Each screen, wherever it may be needs the option to change channels to any within our subscription without it affecting what is playing on any other screen.
Historically it was one card per channel. I'm hoping that technology now exists that offers more.
Sky Business as i said are useless and i'm still awaiting some info from them. They charge a fortune for very little in return.

Thanks in advance.

If you want every TV to have an independent choice of channels, then you'll need 40+ Sky boxes with an individual subscription for each.

You would be better deciding which channels you actually want to choose from and then install that amount of boxes and pipe via coax to the TVs.

Soldato
OP
So you want each of the 40 TVs to be able to change to one of three Sky TV channels without having to change anything on the Sky STB themselves?
That’s what we already have, but the powers that be seems to want full independent channel control, which would require a viewing card per sky channel as someone mentioned.
Yes, Sky do a bright box which tends to be installed in hotels and offers IPTV and/or coax connectivity, but I’ll bet that costs a ridiculous amount.
I’ve been asked if there are any other providers that compete with sky on this…..so I’m passing that question to you guys

Don
That’s what we already have, but the powers that be seems to want full independent channel control, which would require a viewing card per sky channel as someone mentioned.
Yes, Sky do a bright box which tends to be installed in hotels and offers IPTV and/or coax connectivity, but I’ll bet that costs a ridiculous amount.
I’ve been asked if there are any other providers that compete with sky on this…..so I’m passing that question to you guys

That mainly depends on what channels you actually want in those rooms. If you want Sky Sports, Sky One etc then the options are limited compared to FreeToAir stuff like BBC.

Regardless of the solution, you need to be prepared for a lot of money.

Soldato

But if that's the sort of control the "powers that be" want then that is the sort of setup you're looking at and the costs associated with that.

Arguably, it's probably not what you need and it's more likely you could get away with sourcing a handful of channels from Sky (or whoever) and throwing that into a (S)MATV type* deployment which would save on costs.

Whilst it's still worth talking to Sky, there are also a load of companies that do exactly this (source, install, manage etc) for the hospitality sector, so it's worth talking to a few and getting quotes etc.

* Terminology might be incorrect due to rusty memory working on something similar years ago.

Soldato
OP
But if that's the sort of control the "powers that be" want then that is the sort of setup you're looking at and the costs associated with that.

Arguably, it's probably not what you need and it's more likely you could get away with sourcing a handful of channels from Sky (or whoever) and throwing that into a (S)MATV type* deployment which would save on costs.

Whilst it's still worth talking to Sky, there are also a load of companies that do exactly this (source, install, manage etc) for the hospitality sector, so it's worth talking to a few and getting quotes etc.

* Terminology might be incorrect due to rusty memory working on something similar years ago.
Heh, actually you’re spot on mate, we have a SMATV account with sky business.

I do think that if I can get HD to each screen and not the terrible quality that some offer then that will sell it.
Like most here I can’t see the need to want more than 3 sky channels (currently sport 1, sports news and main event). If punters don’t like sports there are over 100 freeview channels to choose from.

Soldato
I do think that if I can get HD to each screen and not the terrible quality that some offer then that will sell it.

What's in place currently?
I remember there were ways to deploy HD/HDMI sources as DTV, if coax was already established, to run alongside Freeview (essentially the HDMI sources would appear as regular DTV channels) but i think IPTV is the standard now for this sort of setup/solution.

As said, keep on at Sky (although, iirc, they farm out to "partners" any way) but it's worth talking to a handful of companies that deal with (S)MATV/multi-screen solutions as you'll get a far better idea of what can be achieved, given the current infrastructure, and what they recommend as well as costs.

Soldato
Thought about IPTV with Brightbox? That would do the job if there is structured cabling etc. If you have the cash behind it then feel free to message my trust if you want to be put into contact with companies that do this.

Back
Top Bottom