Tyres: 8 years old, 20k miles. Concern?

Soldato
Depends on the tyres condition for me. I just swapped the Michelins of my wifes car as they were starting to loose lumps of rubber at 6 years old, they had loads of tread left though as they lived on the rear most of their life.

Soldato
I think that if tyres are over 5/6 yrs old... you might be asking for trouble. (Legally).
My Dad had a blowout on his caravan... first thing that the Police checked / concerned about was the age of the tyre(s).
He Got away with a warning/advice.
A lot of this has come about due to lots of commercial vehicles & coaches getting caught during roadside checks or after an accident.

I think the issue here is that the tyres should be checked regularly. With a car they at least get checked once a year at the MOT (although really it should be far more often than that).

On a caravan the same isn't true, they could be sat for several years without moving or anyone looking at them, so it could possibly be argued that not checking them before use is negligent

Permabanned
I think the issue here is that the tyres should be checked regularly. With a car they at least get checked once a year at the MOT (although really it should be far more often than that).

On a caravan the same isn't true, they could be sat for several years without moving or anyone looking at them, so it could possibly be argued that not checking them before use is negligent

I wasn’t there... but, basically that’s what the Police Officer pointed out.
They might LOOK ok, but sat in a muddy field for a long period, might not do them any favours. Probably a lot of old caravans / trailers on ORIGINAL tyres.
(NB: Luckily, he’s experienced... so control maintained & no damage.... just inconvenienced).

Bit of reading material...( Finding your tyre age amongst other things)
There isn’t a legal time limit for CARS to replace tyres. BUT;
It seems that 6+ years (inc spare) is a good time for a change, due to natural deterioration.
https://www.petebarden.co.uk/news/articles/how-old-are-my-tyres.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom